Marlee Matlin into deaf culture or not?

How do I handle myself as a human being? I don't walk around with my white cane with a "group mentality" or a chip on my shoulder feeling the world owes me something.

i didnt say you, and neither said this to Shel, but yes alot of them do. alot of people actually do walk around thinking everyone owes them something.
ive gone past that shit myself, im in university working damn hard, and always polite to anyone there. I dont go shouting, this is my rights, i have to have interpreters or i will sue. Although I am wary that this approach gives us a bad image, indeed it can be daunting and tedious in the waiting, what i found out the trick is , show them prove them you are a damn good student getting A's or at least a high B's and you know what? they turn around say, they will give interpreters, help with organising note takers, its all about being real.

I was asking a general question and thank you for your comment, it is appreciated.

You're right as our approach is very important. We have to be tactful.

I know I am assertive. One may view me as aggressive whereas another may view me as a balls-buster.

I am only who I am and I know I am very tactful. I am extra careful when I ask for services because there is a fine line when you ask and when you demand.

I am in college and I am fortunate to be in a Deaf program that teaches Deaf people with hearing people too as well.

I have the option of having my intervenor present and I declined this.

I notice that too. I hate that when someone who can't stand with the Deaf community yet they are friends with others who are into the Deaf community. does that tell you, that they may not experience how the Deaf community is all about. The Deaf community have MANY different ways of living but in the result, is the same that we are deaf. period.

I know..it makes me laugh whenever I see that.

Yes, I agree that there are Deaf individuals in the Deaf community that are just as responsible for their own blanket statements and I do tell them directly not to make blanket statements.

Everyone has to own up to their own faults.

I made blanket statements about my own community and my own culture as well. I owned up to my own mistakes and learned from them as well.

Whether it is the hearing people or the Deaf people that makes the overgeneralised statements that leads to stereotyping, we need to stop this. We all have our own responsibilities.

I realise you didn't intend to do this. No one is perfect. I genuinely appreciate and enjoy your comments here in this community. I am able to appreciate rapport with you because we can debate back and forth without personal attacks. That's how much I appreciate you as an individual.

You brought up an excellent point, thank you so much... sign language politics.

Thank you thank you thank you, this is where I am now personally involved with this because several organisations in my area is failing the exact community they are supposed to serve.

ASL itself the organisation they are trained to facilitate between two people, the staff does not master this at all. I am lucky enough to have two out of twenty staff members that can master ASL in a conversation.

PSE or SEE seems to be their communication methods and many DeafBlind people cannot carry a full tactile conversation using SEE. ASL has to be used, period.

This is where sign language politics comes in for me. One administrator said a blanket statement to me, "Oh I don't need to use ASL because I work behind the desk." That just pissed me off and I kept my cool. I told her what would happen if she were to have a sit down meeting with a Culturally DeafBlind person like me and there was no intervenor/interpreter to facilitate us. She replied, "We'll do just fine."

She signed practise like we sign program, that's frightening. The other big mistake is.. she signed beautiful the way she signed vain.

I second that. That's what makes Grummer cool..:)

but it doesnt give a good picture for Deaf people no?
oh in New Zealand, the law is weak no such thing as equivalent as ADA here, human rights is a crock of shit here, its just a pretty up picture frame to make NZ looks caring, it aren't!

no need to attack me, i do realise my slight mistake, using Deaf people, as a blanket categorisation, like i said i should have said some members , or some individuals distorts the ideas of Deaf people or Deaf culture- says this or does that. Its true!, but ok

lol toxicity is a new word now?
poison, but then again we cant hide it, pretend the poison is there, in some time or another we will have to look square on at what is that poison, its not like a taboo right, it is a social issue. but ok i, for now wont take it far, i'd just leave it at that.

showing people how to be responsible is better than blaming people for the ignorances seems to be quite fitting here.

I am sorry if it felt like an attack but I felt like it was an attack on me as a Deaf person whenever people make blanket statements about the Deaf community. After a long while of ignoring it or not commenting on it, it gets tiring.

Thank you for your understanding and I agree with you about poison.

There was a member here, he doesn't post here as much as before. His first name is Kim. He's actively involved with Deaf politics. He filled me in on the NZ laws around Deaf Education and I can agree that you have to really fight tooth and nail for your rights to accessibility.

That I can understand and empathize with you. Hang in there.

yep i know him, not personally and never actually met him before.

Maybe after being denied human rights for so long, some Deaf people in the NZ resort to these attitudes you speak of, Grummer?

nup, we're really small country, and the set up of its infrastructure doesnt go in the favour of it, also demographically it has changed, with this, the regulations of welfare, and work is getting incredibly tight to a point its excessively controlling. Overall the ways of dissemination information is also controlled by Deaf Assn, in turn they are also controlled by three of our main goverment ministrial departments, namely, MSD minstry of social development, MOD Ministry of Health, and HDC Health and Disability Commissioner.
All three is bullshit and more bullshit. They all holds the purse string for many organisations and in return for the finanical envelopes many 'catch' are inscribed into policies which is designed for regulation to which shapes towards the neo-liberalistic formation of NZ' political economy backdrop.
i think i said enough - hope i dont get into trouble (not so much with AD, but whoever in NZ is lurking...)
zips OK ?

nup, we're really small country, and the set up of its infrastructure doesnt go in the favour of it, also demographically it has changed, with this, the regulations of welfare, and work is getting incredibly tight to a point its excessively controlling. Overall the ways of dissemination information is also controlled by Deaf Assn, in turn they are also controlled by three of our main goverment ministrial departments, namely, MSD minstry of social development, MOD Ministry of Health, and HDC Health and Disability Commissioner.
All three is bullshit and more bullshit. They all holds the purse string for many organisations and in return for the finanical envelopes many 'catch' are inscribed into policies which is designed for regulation to which shapes towards the neo-liberalistic formation of NZ' political economy backdrop.
i think i said enough - hope i dont get into trouble (not so much with AD, but whoever in NZ is lurking...)
zips OK ?

You cannot get in hot water for just stating the truth and you are living the life itself in NZ.

You have a right to express how your frustrations are playing a major role in your education and accessibility.

WHO CARES????? as long as she does ASL and does not promote oralism, fine with me!

Look at Jackie Chan! He isn't even deaf and evey support deaf, only the obviously, of the party country he is in the lately Deaflympic this summer.

Thank you.

You guys had to know I was going to get into this! lol! Anyway. To be honest with you, I can understand both sides. Deaf & deaf. And you can agree or disagree with me. But this is my opinion...

Marlee has a lot to keep up with. Being in mainstream Hollywood, she is widely known. She needs to try to please two groups of people. Deaf and hearing. I'm not trying to say that they are complete opposites, but think of how hard that must be. She mentioned the Special Olympics on Twitter as one of the MANY charities that she supports because of the death of Eunice Kennedy Shriver. She never in any way said that she doesn't support the Deaflympics. So I don't see any reason to "bitch" at her because of something she never said. She is an advocate for every Deaf person in the United States. She proves that being Deaf isn't a restriction. It can't hold you back from doing what you want. If she didn't support the Deaf community, she would talk and read lips everywhere she goes rather than sign. But she doesn't. Why? Because she IS proud to be Deaf. And I don't agree that she uses being Deaf for her own gain. What exactly does she gain from it?? I just think that she takes a lot more heat from people than she deserves. Don't get me wrong, Marlee isn't perfect. No one is. We all have our flaws. All I'm asking is for everyone to please try to understand where she is coming from and what she has to deal with. I respect everyones viewpoints on this. I do.

Okay. My rant is over :roll:
Sorry guys.

Oh yeah? She even never reply to Jclark's request to know when MM will show up at Sydney in Australia where he is live in that country. She ignore him. Look at JClark!!! Poor him, he is tick off on her.

Ever I mention that Jordan I King that you everybody think that he isn't accept toward Deaf? I thought of. Yet, he appear at Deaflympic and he hand shake me and I punch on his face at dinner....

Okay, that last part is lie about punch his face. He did sponsored in part and root for deaf. It's at least, he could do.

Ever I mention that Jordan I King that you everybody think that he isn't accept toward Deaf? I thought of. Yet, he appear at Deaflympic and he hand shake me and I punch on his face at dinner....

Okay, that last part is lie about punch his face. He did sponsored in part and root for deaf. It's at least, he could do.

:laugh2: yeah Jordan is a cool person. he always greets to every students at gally whenever he comes there a lot.

I can empathise with Grummer a bit, although the reasons are slightly different. So I won't really get into it.

I admit, I do have problems with certain segments of the Deaf community, usually the ones that border on ultranationalist terrorism, or the ones that shot themselves in the foot, but I make it clear what goals they carry, and how other people don't agree with that. Unfortunately, people, as a whole, tends to only remember the bad things-- which is not good for our cause. I am overgeneralising this aspect here.

You have to understand that the differences between human rights, and individual rights. Most of the rights on ADA are not viewed as human rights-- but rather individual rights by many nations of our world. Sad fact, but it's true.

And why the continuous harp on Marlee Matlin? I can say the same about many people, Deaf, deaf and hearing-- but you have to realise not everyone is the same, and everyone contributes to society in their own way. Like we said previously, as long she doesn't promote oralism, it's her choice what she wants to do.

Look at Jackie Chan! He isn't even deaf and evey support deaf, only the obviously, of the party country he is in the lately Deaflympic this summer.

Jackie Chan is deaf. At least half deaf.

Well, when I was a kid, I have had been to the local deaf olympic and local deaf talent shows many times. Howie Seago, and Terrylene always showed up at activities. Howie Seago even brought his own limo with him, so his driver can drive us around for fun. Howie Seago was my drama teacher for several years. But there had been no sighting of Marlee. He even tried to convince her to come, but she did not come, and kept saying that she was busy.

A while ago, my interpreter and her daughter approached Marlee politely to ask for an autograph, but instead, Marlee threw a pen at them, and ignored them completely. They still have no idea what made her do it.:dunno2:

...Marlee has close to 20,000 followers on Twitter. She can't reply to everyone. And she has actually said before that she will be in Sydney in January. So let your friend know! :)

...Marlee has close to 20,000 followers on Twitter. She can't reply to everyone. And she has actually said before that she will be in Sydney in January. So let your friend know! :)

she use web which is too lame while have over thousands. She is suppose to use Tweetdeck or something better to pay attention well. I have over 100 followers and I use it keep track everybody and reply as possible. It take so quick than use on web.

Back