Mainstream V Special School

The interpreter would provide 100% access.

So, if a particular Deaf school has low expectations and poor results, it is still better than a successful hearing school with an interpreter?

A successful hearing school isnt important to me. My child's self-esteem is more important to me.

I meet a lot of parents who believe in the "competition" educational philosophy. These parents believe that their child must be in the "best" school with the "best" students (as they define them) so that their child will be able to compete for the SAT and university. The schools try to "turn out" PSAT scholarship winners and graduates with high rates of and/or prestigious university acceptance. All of this achievement is great but I'm seeing a lot of burned out kids. Parents of deaf kids are under this same pressure, perhaps even more so. I think that educators and parents need to look at the big picture. The goal is to rear educated, well-adjusted people. Not kids who are burned out before they even graduate from high school.

Exactly.

You said many of his peers grew up with that negative view of themselves. Are you talking about his peers from the same school? Do you think that they would still have this negative view if the school was not as "sucky"?

You said that you grew up with a negative view as yourself as a "broken" hearing person. It's odd because from the high school students at that specific deaf school, it seems like they don't have faith in themselves anyway. It was depressing to hear "Can deaf people work there?" over and over. (It was Career Day when I visited.)

It seems like you are implying that it doesn't matter what the environment of the school is, as long they have full communication.

Honestly, I think deaf schools are stuck in a horrible cycle. Parents see deaf school options and decide not to put their kids with other kids who are behind and go for other types of education. When the ones who don't do well in the "other types", they fall behind and switch to the deaf school, making up a good percentage of the student population.

You know what would be a good statistic to look at? The demographics of deaf children with deaf parents. Im assuming the majority of deaf parents send their deaf children to deaf schools. In theory, every state deaf school should have 10% with deaf parents. If not, that means deaf parents actually look at the schools and MOVE to another state for a better deaf school.

Edit: I just realized that population of the state does affect that 10% value, but you get the point.

They grew up with that view of themselves because of their families not because of the school or so I was told by them.

I went to public schools and there were pockets of children who had negative views of themselves.

I dont think schools had anything to do with that but how one view themselves.

They grew up with that view of themselves because of their families not because of the school or so I was told by them.
Families do have a huge impact on them. That's why I keep encourage families to learn ASL the moment they find a new member of the family is deaf. Who cares about the outsiders, they don't have the same impact as families do.

When I little, I wanted to be a VET (and I wanted to be a vet for my entire childhood too), I told my mother about it, but she didn't say anything. Which is fine. But when I told my Uncle, he told me becoming a vet is hard and take over 7 years and expensive, and I may not be able to hear some stuffs. He was trying to get realistic with me. That's when I decided to erase my dreams because I believed it is true.

Daredevel, what percentage of staff at that school were deaf?

Yes i totally agree! there shouldn have to be a choice, both should be equal and efficent! I see what your saying about deaf child bing with other deaf children but my friends younger brother felt he wanted to be around people who could here also and so he didnt feel so excluded? I suppose this is different for each chhild.
I believe it is different for each child and I also believe that difference is directly related to the amount of hearing loss. A child that has some residual hearing and with HA's can close the gap even more will most likely do better amongst hearing peers than say a profoundly deaf child that has zero hearing. I am guessing it would also depend on other factors such as if the child has become deaf pre or post lingual. A prelingualy profoundly deaf child IMO will not do well in a mainstream setting with hearing peers. You have to make sure the social-emotional development is addressed amongst other things. To do that there has to be communication and for there to be communication there has to be language. I am by no means an expert in this area and these are my opinions for what they are worth.

:D

I am neither confirming nor denying that the school I visited is an Alabama school.

But let's say it is. Seems like some people say it is still okay since communication is all that matters. By the way, just because a state ranks 48th in education does not mean ALL of the schools in that state are bad. One high school near me ranked within the top 2% of the nation in 2008.

All I'm saying is I think hearing parents are given an unnecessary hard time for their choices of putting their deaf child in a hearing school or something other than a deaf school. I just don't think it's that simple/easy to put their child in the nearest deaf school.
I agree with you. I wish there were standardized DHH programs at more mainstream schools so parents would not have to ship their young ones off to a residential school that half the state away. Not everyone will fall in that catagory but I know in my state the Deaf school is not near the dense population centers which always baffled me.

A successful hearing school isnt important to me. My child's self-esteem is more important to me.

Self esteem is important, and as a parent it is your job to give your child the unconditional love, acceptance and support that fosters good self esteem. It is not the school's job. The school is there to teach literacy and academics. I would choose a school that turns out literate students over one that doesn't, hands down.

Self esteem is important, and as a parent it is your job to give your child the unconditional love, acceptance and support that fosters good self esteem. It is not the school's job. The school is there to teach literacy and academics. I would choose a school that turns out literate students over one that doesn't, hands down.

The school environment has been shown, over and over and over, to have a huge impact on a child's self esteem, particularly over the age of 7.

I agree with you. I wish there were standardized DHH programs at more mainstream schools so parents would not have to ship their young ones off to a residential school that half the state away. Not everyone will fall in that catagory but I know in my state the Deaf school is not near the dense population centers which always baffled me.

Start campaigning and advocating!

I meet a lot of parents who believe in the "competition" educational philosophy. These parents believe that their child must be in the "best" school with the "best" students (as they define them) so that their child will be able to compete for the SAT and university. The schools try to "turn out" PSAT scholarship winners and graduates with high rates of and/or prestigious university acceptance. All of this achievement is great but I'm seeing a lot of burned out kids. Parents of deaf kids are under this same pressure, perhaps even more so. I think that educators and parents need to look at the big picture. The goal is to rear educated, well-adjusted people. Not kids who are burned out before they even graduate from high school.

I couldn't agree more. Such a destructive and obsessive philosophy it is, too. And has the exact opposite effects on the child as is intended, with a side effect of child resenting parent.

Your priorities are straight. A child with low self esteem will not succeed to their potential academically, no matter what school they are in.

Wirelessly posted

If it is not for the deaf school I attached, this will not where I am now... my writng and reading may still be in 4th grade level.

Wirelessly posted

If it is not for the deaf school I attached, this will not where I am now... my writng and reading may still be in 4th grade level.

And that is true for some deaf kids and many deaf schools, but not all.

If my choice was like Daredevil's, a poorly run deaf school with bad outcomes or my child attending a hearing school with excellent academics and proper accomidations, I would have to choose the hearing school.

Your priorities are straight. A child with low self esteem will not succeed to their potential academically, no matter what school they are in.

And what will a child with good self esteem who is illiterate acheive?

And what will a child with good self esteem who is illiterate acheive?

The child with good self esteem has the potential to perform up to their potential. The child without good self esteem doesn't. Why would you further disable a child by placing them in an environment that has been shown to negatively affect their self esteem?

There are illiterate people in all walks of life. Some deaf, some hearing. Some don't have the potential to become literate, but most do. They simply had very negative experiences in school, were treated as if they could not learn, and the self fulfilling prophecy was set in motion. The result is an adult that is not just illiterate, but one that engages in self destructive behaviors for their entire life.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

And that is true for some deaf kids and many deaf schools, but not all.

If my choice was like Daredevil's, a poorly run deaf school with bad outcomes or my child attending a hearing school with excellent academics and proper accomidations, I would have to choose the hearing school.

..... I know that. I don't say ALL...

I am sorry but I do not believe that any schol would purposely make any child illerate. Lol

Back