Lottery winner on food stamps:

Can't work because they are traumatized from discrimination? Give me a break. It's people like that. That are killing this country. I wonder if he is too traumatized for his hobbies.

People will use any excuse to get out of work. Smh

Can't work because they are traumatized from discrimination? Give me a break. It's people like that. That are killing this country. I wonder if he is too traumatized for his hobbies.

People will use any excuse to get out of work. Smh

The job discrimination that based on disability can be trauma because it already destroy their future for better job and their life. It is depends on case to case. It has nothing about hobbies and I feel bad for him. You are obviously use oral language and have no issue with jobs, however for him, he's only communicate via ASL.

I believe people with disabilities are deserved to have same equality as regular employees without any discrimination and mistreatment, but not true anymore.

Use excuse to get out of work? LOL. Not always.

The job discrimination that based on disability can be trauma because it already destroy their future for better job and their life. It is depends on case to case. It has nothing about hobbies and I feel bad for him. You are obviously use oral language and have no issue with jobs, however for him, he's only communicate via ASL.

I believe people with disabilities are deserved to have same equality as regular employees without any discrimination and mistreatment, but not true anymore.

Use excuse to get out of work? LOL. Not always.

What kind of jobs are we talking about? CEO of a finance corporation making 6 figures or a line cook at a fast food joint?

Because .... I got a profoundly deaf ASL signer a job as a line cook surrounded by hearing people. They love him. He loves his job. He is saving to take classes to get a better paying job.

People, in general, or far more understanding than you give them credit for. Not everybody is a horrible scary audist monster.

I am not saying they don't exist and cause problems, I am just saying that there are FAR more understanding people out there.

What kind of jobs are we talking about? CEO of a finance corporation making 6 figures or a line cook at a fast food joint?

Because .... I got a profoundly deaf ASL signer a job as a line cook surrounded by hearing people. They love him. He loves his job. He is saving to take classes to get a better paying job.

People, in general, or far more understanding than you give them credit for. Not everybody is a horrible scary audist monster.

It is manufacturing building to make fire extinguishers.

Have you ever seen the expression "the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease but is the first one to get replaced"?

Do you know what it means?

Not know, I just learned from all of stories when we met at restaurant with his wife.

I never go to his workplace and he does know about his rights to report.

Not know, I just learned from all of stories when we met at restaurant with his wife.

I never go to his workplace and he does know about his rights to report.

He can report the violations to the EEOC. But only as a last resort. First, he needs to go to his supervisor's supervisor and allow the company he works for to resolve the issue. if the issue is not resolved, report it (with documentation) to the EEOC.

I have had to do this (unfortunately) one time in all the years and all the jobs I have had. And yes, it was a deaf related issue. The EEOC handled it and I still had my job and the person who was in violation (an immediate supervisor) was fired.

Also, tell your friend not to take advantage of the system - the EEOC keeps files on complaints and he needs to have very good documentation of the events.

He can report the violations to the EEOC. But only as a last resort. First, he needs to go to his supervisor's supervisor and allow the company he works for to resolve the issue. if the issue is not resolved, report it (with documentation) to the EEOC.

Yup, he had done rest of them but his company is very bad.

Yup, he had done rest of them but his company is very bad.

The EEOC cannot do anything on heresy. He needs to have documentation (proof). Sometimes that is very hard.

My phone has a videocamera (just saying).

I have a bachelor's degree but I wasn't allowed to apply as a substitute interpreter for public schools without passing the teacher's PRAXIS test. That doesn't make sense because I wasn't going to be a teacher.

Yeah, it varies. Actually, I think it even varies from county to country. I know the pay rates do.
It's worth checking, though, wherever you live, just in case.

Another job that's pretty easy to get in our area is a 'companion' for disabled adults- mostly adults with mental disabilities. There's a local charity that pays people to spend time wtih these adults and help them go shopping, take them to the library or the animal shelter to volunteer, spend time with them. I realize that this job is not available everywhere, and possibly would not be a good fit for a deaf person if the mentally disabled adult couldn't read well or understand any sign.
Another one is stocking at a grocery store.

And another job I know of in our area that grocery stores are always having trouble filling with reliable people is meat cutter. That requires some training, but some stores are so desperate they provide the training.

Americans without disability and medical problems are ineligible for SSDI and SSI, and there is no welfare or free money for them, except for food stamp and Medicaid. SSI and SSDI have stricter criteria, however SSDI require work contribution. SSDI and SSI are not same. Unless you mention about unemployment benefits, of course and not know why they are continue to extended. Are you sure that unemployed prefer to sit than get a job? I don't agree with you because of situation with my sister and numerous job offers on newspaper is too good to be true because my sister tried but no luck. I doubt that everyone want Medicaid due to red tape and numerous paperwork..

Not all unemployed people prefer to sit than get a job, but I personally know several who do. In some cases it's because welfare is a trap and the available jobs pay less than welfare. Government aid is stupidly run, and often punishes and penalizes people for saving their money and spending wisely and rewards them for wasting their money and never saving.

There is welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, subsidized apartments, free cell phones, and even free rides to doctor appointments for people with no medical disabilities. the mother of my godsons hasn't worked in five years, and she gets all these things. She pays no utilities on her apartment and she doesn't pay the rent. She babysits for gas money, basically.

I was laid off from work (again) this week. The longest period of being unemployed last year was six months. I don't get any form of unemployment compensation because I'm an independent contractor. This time it will be at least three months. :(

The irony is, I'm still under contract to the college until the end of 2013. I just don't have any work from them (hence, no income). I have to be at their beck and call at the beginning of each semester, including summer, so I can't take on any other permanent work.

I do a little lawn care work on the side, which gives me a flexible schedule. Once in a while I get some freelance interpreter work but it's becoming less and less as larger agencies take over. (After 2013, I won't be able to renew my contract at the college because the big agency has one now.) I'll probably retire from interpreting after that.

I don't blame anyone. It's just the nature of the beast (freelance work).

It looks like I'll be going back to college to get more marketable skills. A bachelor's degree in political science (minor, religion) isn't very useful. :lol:

I hate to say it but at almost 61, I might start slowing down in my endeavors. Not quitting but cutting back a bit. Sigh . . . I really expected the old bod to hold up better, for at least another decade. Neither of my parents lived past age 67, so we shall see. :)

Two houses and on welfare!!??!! something wrong with this picture.

more bills for that woman. She will run out of money so quick.

If I was her, I would use food stamp and shopping to get food max out of card and give to homeless.

Not all unemployed people prefer to sit than get a job, but I personally know several who do. In some cases it's because welfare is a trap and the available jobs pay less than welfare. Government aid is stupidly run, and often punishes and penalizes people for saving their money and spending wisely and rewards them for wasting their money and never saving.

There is welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, subsidized apartments, free cell phones, and even free rides to doctor appointments for people with no medical disabilities. the mother of my godsons hasn't worked in five years, and she gets all these things. She pays no utilities on her apartment and she doesn't pay the rent. She babysits for gas money, basically.

The minimum wage (7.25 per hour at federal level, maybe higher at state level) is paid more than welfare but possibly not enough to meet living standard because cost of food, personal care, rent, medicines, etc have goes up. There are plenty of minimum wage employees rely on food stamp, Medicaid or Section 8 so it isn't limited to unemployed only.

I don't agree with you about government aid is stupid and they are necessary for poor, disadvantaged or disabled who couldn't find a job or unable to work due medical condition. The hearing loss and deaf are not medical condition that make unable to work but accommodation is needed to make communication.

Yeah, it varies. Actually, I think it even varies from county to country. I know the pay rates do.
It's worth checking, though, wherever you live, just in case.

Another job that's pretty easy to get in our area is a 'companion' for disabled adults- mostly adults with mental disabilities. There's a local charity that pays people to spend time wtih these adults and help them go shopping, take them to the library or the animal shelter to volunteer, spend time with them. I realize that this job is not available everywhere, and possibly would not be a good fit for a deaf person if the mentally disabled adult couldn't read well or understand any sign.
Another one is stocking at a grocery store.

And another job I know of in our area that grocery stores are always having trouble filling with reliable people is meat cutter. That requires some training, but some stores are so desperate they provide the training.

Many grocery stores closed for good in our state due to biggest Walmart expansion in late 1990's to mid 2000's that hurt groceries and lost much money. Getting a job at Walmart is very challenged because there are too many applicants that battle to win the job.

I don't agree with you about government aid is stupid and they are necessary for poor, disadvantaged or disabled who couldn't find a job or unable to work due medical condition.

That's not what I said. I said it is stupidly run, which is very different.

The lady who kept getting it even though she had hundreds of thousands of dollars is an example of how government aid is stupidly run.

Here's another example- my friend on welfare and all kinds of aid has one child who lives with her mother. She let her mother help when the child was a baby, but she thought it was temporary. The grandmother won't give the child back, and the state supports the grandmother. My friend has two other children living with her. She's a good mother and the state agrees. It just won't let her have her daughter back.

The grandmother gets welfare for that child. My friend tried to get a job, and the government docked her wages to pay them back for the state aid they give to the grandmother for taking care of my friend's child.

So my friend not only doesn't get her own child, but the government docks her wages to force her to pay to keep her child somewhere else against her will.

That's stupid. There are thousands, if not more, of similar examples. The rules, regulations and bureaucracy are often just stupid.

Many grocery stores closed for good in our state due to biggest Walmart expansion in late 1990's to mid 2000's that hurt groceries and lost much money. Getting a job at Walmart is very challenged because there are too many applicants that battle to win the job.

ARen't you in Alabama? I've been to Alabama more than once. I didn't notice a lack of grocery stores.

Alabama Grocery Stores | Find a Grocery Store in AL
Over five thousand grocery stores listed.

Grocery Store Weekly Ads - Alabama

Here's a list of grocery store chains in Alabama that offer double coupons:
Bruno's
Food Giant
Food World
Fred's
Kroger
Lucky's
Piggly Wiggly
Winn-Dixie

Once more, it seems somebody is lying to you.

Back