Lets take back our country from the Republicans: Dean for Prez in 2004!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i'm saving between $3,000- $5,000 with his tax cut.. it helps me alot!

Although I have no reason to doubt you but I'm a bit skeptical with those figures unless of course you earn near 100K/year, and even then, maybe.

Bush_in_2004! said:
Although I have no reason to doubt you but I'm a bit skeptical with those figures unless of course you earn near 100K/year, and even then, maybe.

no it's not that i earn 100k per year... it just that i have children and in median income range

DeafSCUBA98 said:
no it's not that i earn 100k per year... it just that i have children and in median income range

Oh, you HAVE kids. Hmm, Okay. having kids is cool then huh?

Bush_in_2004! said:
Oh, you HAVE kids. Hmm, Okay. having kids is cool then huh?

yeah since bush cut taxes for parents who have children. $400 per child.. so.. on next income tax there's a $1,000 in tax credit for per child. used to be $600 per child.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
yeah since bush cut taxes for parents who have children. $400 per child.. so.. on next income tax there's a $1,000 in tax credit for per child. used to be $600 per child.

That's right. I'm sending my $400 check to DEANforPRESIDENT! ;)

Bush_in_2004! said:
That's right. I'm sending my $400 check to DEANforPRESIDENT! ;)

i have a huge question.. Does the Demoracts cut deaf schools? I remmy while Clinton is in charge... he wants to cut residutial schools..or something related to that.. i wasn't sure.. but some people told me..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i have a huge question.. Does the Demoracts cut deaf schools? I remmy while Clinton is in charge... he wants to cut residutial schools..or something related to that.. i wasn't sure.. but some people told me..

Good!

We don't need the residential schools. It's just a waste of money.

Deaf children are better off being mainstreamed at public schools. From my observations, being mainstreamed into public schools has more benefits to it.

I've experienced it and I say being mainstreamed is the superior method.

Banjo said:
Good!

We don't need the residential schools. It's just a waste of money.

Deaf children are better off being mainstreamed at public schools. From my observations, being mainstreamed into public schools has more benefits to it.

I've experienced it and I say being mainstreamed is the superior method.

I was mainstreamed all my life.. but It's still important to have residential schools.. For example.. Blind schools.. mental retarded schools.. there's also residental schools for those.. better off placed them to mainstream?

Well as for deafies who are in residantial school, They can take classes at both mainstream and residential school.
Minn.. is having huge problem in school budget system.. it's all fucked up.. i would say around 30 public schools been shut-down per year in minn. alone.. it's pretty scary here nowadays. While they're having this problem.. can they afford the interpreter if a deaf student who's only deaf in 1 school? How would u feel if you're the only deaf student in ur school all your life, and never meet any deafies all your life, i have known many deafies is just like that here in minn.. they're living in small town. interpreter don't always show up in their home school, never meet deafies till they're in college. they told me they feel insolated, feel like they're the only deaf.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I was mainstreamed all my life.. but It's still important to have residential schools.. For example.. Blind schools.. mental retarded schools.. there's also residental schools for those.. better off placed them to mainstream?

Well as for deafies who are in residantial school, They can take classes at both mainstream and residential school.
Minn.. is having huge problem in school budget system.. it's all fucked up.. i would say around 30 public schools been shut-down per year in minn. alone.. it's pretty scary here nowadays. While they're having this problem.. can they afford the interpreter if a deaf student who's only deaf in 1 school? How would u feel if you're the only deaf student in ur school all your life, and never meet any deafies all your life, i have known many deafies is just like that here in minn.. they're living in small town. interpreter don't always show up in their home school, never meet deafies till they're in college. they told me they feel insolated, feel like they're the only deaf.

I absolutely refuse to support the schools for the deaf. The illiteracy rate are too high for me to take.

An interpreter is cheaper than having to pay for a residential student. Bush_For_2004 probably will be glad to provide you the goodies on the costs of running residential schools.

They are costing the taxpayers big time while they're really doing nothing for the students.

They can add special programs to schools for the mentally challenged, blind, and more disabled students. The school I used to attend had programs for these students and it was well-handled.

Plus, it was WAY cheaper than having to send off the children to a residential school.

Plus, the sexual abuse rates in residential schools are obviously high compared to mainstreamed schools. Why expose children to a horrific side of the world?

Anybody remember the school titled, Jericho?

I'll bet the majority of you folks aren't even aware of the school. Good thing it got shut down and millions were awarded to the victims.

Of course, there's also the school in the state of Washington... pity the fact that it's still open!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I was mainstreamed all my life.. but It's still important to have residential schools.

Now, I really don't believe you have a say in this since you never experienced it. I was once an attending student at a school for the deaf. But since you have the right to speak your mind, you also have the right to make a fool out of yourself on something you have no knowledge of.

You say that you were mainstreamed your whole life. You have no experience in being a student at a school for the deaf. What would you know about these schools?

I'll bet that you know almost nothing. I was a student at one starting from grade 7 to grade 12. If you were to attend the school, you'll see what I'm talking about.

These schools are like the breeding grounds for sex cultures.

Good thing I was mainstreamed half of my life to begin with.

Sorry about being hard on you, but I just had to say what I felt was necessary.

I do believe that residential schools can be good only for a handful of deaf students -- but the illiteracy levels are appalling at most deaf schools due to not enough english and grammar structure being taught properly.
I myself was mainstreamed and attended a deaf school as well.

I also feel that it really depends on the students' needs. If they're suited to a deaf school, fine with me. If they're better off being mainstreamed, great! It just depends on how well the individual fares in both school settings.

I agree everything Mr. banjo sez except to add that in the US,virtually all of the residential schools are STATE supported. The only exception I can think of is MSSD which is tied to the Gallaudet budget.

Hey guys, I'm sending my kid to a school for the deaf BECAUSE they do a far superior job of educating him. And believe me, I'm a parent who checks all my options out. It really depends on the school, the staff, the child's specific needs... That's my opinion. I know I'm not d/Deaf, but I have invested an awful lot of time to ensure my child's getting the best education possible.

And as far as the story about funding residential schools, I can't speak for other states, but I can say that the school for the deaf in our state was so terribly unfunded for the 12 years we had a Republican governor, and has improved tremendously since a Democratic governor is in place. Those tax dollars go somewhere!

Back to our tax break - you got how much, $3,000-$5000 more, that's better than us and we have 4 kids. But just saying you feel you get that much more, Dick Cheney and all the upper elite get at least $200,000. Hmmm, I see the money's really going where people need it the most. The thing people don't seem to get, is the INTEREST on the DEFICIT! That's money we have to pay back! Your $3000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're gonna pay in the long run when someone responsible actually comes and gets this mess straightened out! Hopefully it'll be soon - back to our original thread - HOWARD DEAN

BTW Bush, you're right! Cat Stevens, are you old enuf to remember? Peace Train is a song that really resonates w/how I'm feeling about our country now, can you relate?

Hey everyone, have a great Labor Day weekend!

Peacetrain, I guess I am old enough to remember ;)

not to second guess all the research you did for your child, however, being a residential grad myself, I'd like to introduce you to about 17 of the 20-odd deaf students in my graduating class. unfortunately I can't because they only have a 4th grade English literacy level (or LESS!!) and are unable to partipicate in forums like these.

however, since you are actively involved in your child's education, I suspect he/she will do very well. unfortunately most parents don't give a damn so there is a pretty good reason why 70-80% of res. school grads just end up on SSD/SSI.

If you haven't been here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/specials/deafschool/
I'd suggest doing so and take the precautions you need. good luck.

And yeah, Vote for DEAN! :smash:

Bush_in_2004! said:
Peacetrain, I guess I am old enough to remember ;)

not to second guess all the research you did for your child, however, being a residential grad myself, I'd like to introduce you to about 17 of the 20-odd deaf students in my graduating class. unfortunately I can't because they only have a 4th grade English literacy level (or LESS!!) and are unable to partipicate in forums like these.

however, since you are actively involved in your child's education, I suspect he/she will do very well. unfortunately most parents don't give a damn so there is a pretty good reason why 70-80% of res. school grads just end up on SSD/SSI.

If you haven't been here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/specials/deafschool/
I'd suggest doing so and take the precautions you need. good luck.

And yeah, Vote for DEAN! :smash:

Well, this is just a "shit happens" not all residential school are the same.. Here in Minn.. students love it there at MSAD. some mainstream kids begged their parents to transfer from mainstream to MSAD.

yet.. MSAD students are good in english, only if the students try their best.. i will say they're in their 9th grade english.. Since here in Minn. law requires any High School students to pass english, reading, math, some more in order to graduate.. must meet the standard level requirements in order to graduate. that law passed here in minn for students who graduate after year 2000.

Hi DeafScuba, I am also from Minnesota (Coon Rapids). I would say that simply from other peoples point of view that MSAD may just be the exception rather than the rule.

In regards to Dean, I hope as well that Dean gets the nomination. As a conservative if Dean gets the nomination Bush is certain to win. Dean is too far to the left and will turn off swing voters that are vital to the election. I will be out there working on Bush's campaign when I am able to.

Regardless of party I suggest that you volunteer on campaigns as much as possible. Not just presidential but local campaigns and ones that do not take place in a presidential election year. My experiences on John McCain's campaign was greatly beneficial. I was able to go to South Carolina for the primaries and was lucky enough to see two speeches by him as well as shake this great man's hand.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Well, this is just a "shit happens" not all residential school are the same.. Here in Minn.. students love it there at MSAD. some mainstream kids begged their parents to transfer from mainstream to MSAD.

yet.. MSAD students are good in english, only if the students try their best.. i will say they're in their 9th grade english.. Since here in Minn. law requires any High School students to pass english, reading, math, some more in order to graduate.. must meet the standard level requirements in order to graduate. that law passed here in minn for students who graduate after year 2000.

Scuba, you'll find a large percentage of res school grads "love their res school experience" -- but this doesn't make them English-literate. You might want to check Minn's actual outcomes stats because residential schools are not "public schools" and are universally exempt from state standards, although state agencies may try to set standards, they won't close if they fail.

If Minn's graduates do indeed read at "9th grade" that would make them the best res. school in the U.S. The current best res schools are MSSD and Maryland, and both of these schools were below 9th grade, although I forget exactly what.

Back