Learn ASL or SEE

What happened?

herwe go revived it .

I can't talk about it. I am already crying again. A waitress laughed and pointed at me because of my imperfect articutlation.She was our waitress.

Yesterday I talked a lot about it in the "what ticks you off most about hearies thread."

herwe go revived it .

I can't talk about it. I am already crying again. A waitress laughed and pointed at me because of my imperfect articutlation.She was our waitress.

Yesterday I talked a lot about it in the "what ticks you off most about hearies thread."

:mad2: @ waitress

The mother said she wanted her to use what most deaf children use.
Right Bott. and that would depend on which location the OP lives at and what the teachings in that area are. She may live in an area that is predominatly SEE or ASL. My suggestion was to go with whatever was in the area. I also didn't realize the OP was over 6 years ago. Talk about your lack of focus. *whacking myself in the forehead.

herwe go revived it .

I am so sorry. :grouphug:That is obscene. I hope you stood up to her, and gave her a nice swift punch in the nose! What a......(fill in all the bad words I'm thinking here)

If you were with me yesterday in the restaurant, even if you don't like me, I bet you would wish they didn't.

No matter how much I disagree with a person, NO ONE deserves to be treated like that. That person is a close-minded bitch who is too stupid to live. I hope I run into her someday. She would regret everything she ever said....

I am so sorry. :grouphug:That is obscene. I hope you stood up to her, and gave her a nice swift punch in the nose! What a......(fill in all the bad words I'm thinking here)

Thanks, that's really nice, I wish you were there. I just sat there.

I am not going back.

I'm guessing it's the stuttering issue that this child is having :dunno:

Apraxia as stated in the third or fourth post of the thread.

Difficulty forming certain sounds in the correct order. There are many options for it, one therapy includes experimenting with different languages to find out which one flow better. Although I imagine learning sign language or written languages is much more commonly done.

No matter how much I disagree with a person, NO ONE deserves to be treated like that. That person is a close-minded bitch who is too stupid to live. I hope I run into her someday. She would regret everything she ever said....

Thanks. That does cheer me up.

You guys can go back to your arguing now.

THis thread isn't about me. I did not mean to hijack it.

Thanks, that's really nice, I wish you were there. I just sat there.

I am not going back.

I'm mean and often abrasive. :D And I'm certainly not afraid to be aggressive if I think someone deserves it.

(Ask me about the time I got punched in the face by a big skin head dude :laugh2:)

I'm mean and often abrasive. :D And I'm certainly not afraid to be aggressive if I think someone deserves it.

(Ask me about the time I got punched in the face by a big skin head dude :laugh2:)

Now you are making me think maybe just sitting there was ok. I am a coward.:lol:

People seem to have forgotten that this is a HEARING child, not a deaf one. She has access to spoken English, 100%, but she is just unable to expressively use it. Why learn another language, and then have all the complications that happen with English as a second language, when she could just sign English?

Do people change spoken English to follow ASL grammar? No..

Why is it ok to do that to ASL?

The child doesn't need a visual language. She simply needs a way to communicate English without using her mouth.

I do. Not always but often. Most people just don't know how, and a lot of them may not notice my doing it.

For instance when doing simcom I will say "the car is red" to fit ASL grammar "car red" rather than saying the standard "red car". I will say, "The sky today is beautiful and blue" which may give me a slightly foreign sound. It is possible to structure English to be both grammatically correct and still present a topic first structure the same as ASL. It just takes a little thought.

But to repeat, I don't always do it correctly and sometimes I mess with the ASL and other times with the English.

I do. Not always but often. Most people just don't know how, and a lot of them may not notice my doing it.

For instance when doing simcom I will say "the car is red" to fit ASL grammar "car red" rather than saying the standard "red car". I will say, "The sky today is beautiful and blue" which may give me a slightly foreign sound. It is possible to structure English to be both grammatically correct and still present a topic first structure the same as ASL. It just takes a little thought.

But to repeat, I don't always do it correctly and sometimes I mess with the ASL and other times with the English.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that known as code switching?

What I meant is people deliberately taking ASL and using it to fit their languages. If one does it without meaning to, then that's understandable but I just feel that Deaf people haven't really earned the respect as people from other cultures did...

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that known as code switching?

Does this mean you have more than a passing knowledge of linguistics?

I cannot tell from your post if you are being pejorative or not.

Several things are called code switching, this use of language is one of them. I would think of code switching more as what my daughter and I do. We sometimes play with both languages at the same time, bouncing back and forth between them. For instance I might say "I'm right here" while making the sign for hiding.

Spanish is a good example. There is no word in Spanish to mean a "foul ball" but the word "foul" sounds like "fowl" and a chicken is a fowl in English. Gallina is a chicken in Spanish. So instead of saying "he hit a foul ball" many bilinguals will say "da una gallina" = "He hit a chicken".

One of the things that really irritates me about SEE is that the ASL signing community is the only bilingual community I have ever met whose members do not use bilingual puns on a regular basis.

The reason why they don't?

Because every time you come up with a good pun it turns out to be "The way it would be done in SEE". Or some other manually coded English atrocity.

Grump!

Does this mean you have more than a passing knowledge of linguistics?

I cannot tell from your post if you are being pejorative or not.

Several things are called code switching, this use of language is one of them. I would think of code switching more as what my daughter and I do. We sometimes play with both languages at the same time, bouncing back and forth between them. For instance I might say "I'm right here" while making the sign for hiding.

Spanish is a good example. There is no word in Spanish to mean a "foul ball" but the word "foul" sounds like "fowl" and a chicken is a fowl in English. Gallina is a chicken in Spanish. So instead of saying "he hit a foul ball" many bilinguals will say "da una gallina" = "He hit a chicken".

One of the things that really irritates me about SEE is that the ASL signing community is the only bilingual community I have ever met whose members do not use bilingual puns on a regular basis.

The reason why they don't?

Because every time you come up with a good pun it turns out to be "The way it would be done in SEE". Or some other manually coded English atrocity.

Grump!
No my knowledge is just passing and though I have learned quite a bit I am sure that I don't even know how much I don't know, if that makes sense. I see alot of people that are against MCE's and that is the part that I really don't understand. To my knowledge they were developed to be used in educational settings partially to address low literacy rates in deaf kids. But then the whole topic of how to educate a deaf child is controversial which really boggles my mind. I would think that after decades and even centuries of educating deaf kids they would have it down by now. I guess there are still many things that people just don't agree on or have not yet been proven enough to make it into the school systems. The sad part is that it's the kids that end up paying the price.

Back