Learn ASL or SEE

Yes, I want my daughter to learn to speak. Currently she has learned approximately 150 signs, which was my decision before her doctors agreed. See, she has speech therapy and we also have a Kaufman Apraxia Kit that I purchased. When we would work on these words, she would finally be able to sound them out, but would not apply them to everyday conversation. Once she learned the sign for those words, she used the signs as cues to speak them as well. Then she began using them in conversations along with the signs. After having such success with those few signs, I finally had proof for her physicians that this could possibly help her for more than just communicating. Her reading skills are lower than other children her age, but she is working very hard to improve that. But, when she does focus on correct English in her sentences, she knows the correct way. Her receptive language is fine. The reason I don't feel she should learn SEE is basically the same reason others have already said. She hears and understands English. It's only being able to communicate that poses a problem.
As far as the statement "We were at fault" I was referring to the physicians opinion. But, then again, he thought she chose NOT to talk, which was not the case at all. I don't feel like we have caused apraxia nor do I feel like we have hendered her speaking. I honestly feel like if we hadn't experimented on our own agains the doctor's advice, she would still be at the same level she was a year ago. She first learned the alphabet in sign, naturally. She struggled with memorizing the names of them. She learned the signs for the alphabet within one week as well as the names. It was amazing. I think signing promotes her speaking. In a sense, I guess it works for her as Cued speech in her own way. I have seen her self-esteem improve greatly as well.
We have contacted St. Rita for her to attend part time classes. Yes, I have heard they are an excellent school. I really don't want her to go full time. I just want her to socialize with other children who communicate using sign. She absolutely loves childrens stories and videos that are signed. I believe it makes her feel as if she isn't alone. The doctor's have said that with apraxia as severe as hers, it may be very difficult for her to be able to carry on a complete conversation by speech with a stranger. Now, with family yes, but not those who don't know her.
I am really surprised at all the responses I have received over this matter. You all have given me much to think about. Thanks!

aprilrain,

I'm glad to hear more from you. I apologize if it seems like I established a heat debate here. I hope that you would make a decision that YOU think is best for your daughter after hearing from all the sides.

Just take what I have posted with a grain of salt. You should be aware that there's not always a perfect decision...but there could also be a best decision. Good luck in your purse of happiness with your daughter's future. :D

I greatly appreciate your comments, along with everyone else's SilentGold. I understand exactly what your point is as well. As far as heated discussions, sometimes those are the ones that require you to think the most! :)
No need to appologize for an opinion...everyone needs their own.
I feel that you would be right in many cases with other children just like my daughter. At this time, she even understands much Spanish since her grandparents mostly speak only Spanish. Which is rare with children with apraxia, so I have heard. I think with this adversity, she has grown up in a home where it has required her to understand sentence structure,etc. Not that I would recommend it for every child, but she has done quite well. I am very proud of her accomplishments she has made. Please, if someone else asks, post the same comments you have recommended for me because their child may require different techniques. I haven't absolutely decided yet. I am going to read more and discuss it more with the doctors. You all have given me much to think about.

We have contacted St. Rita for her to attend part time classes. Yes, I have heard
they are an excellent school. I really don't want her to go full time. I just want her
to socialize with other children who communicate using sign.
That is excellent! Some people might advocate for a full-time placement but I think a parttime placement is the best, as she'll get the best of both worlds! You might also want to get involved in your local parents organization for deaf kids, so you can meet even MORE families whose kids Sign.

i have been learning ASL. i think that is much eaier, because SEE u have to sign every word, and ASL doesn't require you too. therefor, if you were having a conversation, it will take you more time to fet the idea across the the other person, than just a few signs.

i.e. ASL how you? >> fine. you?
SEE how are you doing? >>i'm doing fine, how are you?

Originally posted by ASLnikki
i have been learning ASL. i think that is much eaier, because SEE u have to sign every word, and ASL doesn't require you too. therefor, if you were having a conversation, it will take you more time to fet the idea across the the other person, than just a few signs.

i.e. ASL how you? >> fine. you?
SEE how are you doing? >>i'm doing fine, how are you?

True it's easier.....

Try doing both sign language with your voice on. :p

Originally posted by SilenceGold
True it's easier.....

Try doing both sign language with your voice on. :p

ASL--> :voice off: How you? Me fine! ;)

SEE --> :voice on: How are you doing? I'm doing good. :)

No...I meant....use your voice for BOTH of the sign languages. Tell me which one is easier. :p

Yes, I know... that's why I'm going for the easy way, not the hard way. :mrgreen:

ASL: Store me go
SEE: I am going to the store.

Originally posted by aprilrain
My daughter has a limited ability to be able to speak. She is now almost 7. Everyone said NOT to teach sign language, but now they have decided it is best if she learns sign language in order to be able to communicate.
My question is, which do you all prefer? She has no hearing problems. I don't know which she would benefit from more. I would like her to learn what most deaf children learn because she will be going to a group with other deaf children in order to meet others who communicate using sign. I would really appreciate your information. This is all very new to us.
Thanks,
April

I had a friend who is hearing, but couldn't talk at all -- he could understand words spoken to him, but his brain couldn't translate the words he wanted to say properly. So, he was taught sign language to aid him in communicating what he wanted to say and it helped him in a lot of ways.
Sign language helps babies communicate at an early age...same goes for people with intellectual disabilities who are non-verbal, but can use sign language to communicate their needs.

Goldie

If someone want to be Deaf, one must learn sign-language! SEE isn´t sign-language, but ASL!:ily:

aprilrain, your daughter is hearing. the arguments being presented here are for deaf people and could be very well useless (and even harmful*) in your case.

* harmful? You betcha. Your child is struggling with a speech problem, not a language problem, so why throw in complications by asking that your child learns a whole new language (ASL) into the mix? IMO you ought to stick with the language your child already knows (SEE) and work to resolve the speech problem. good luck!

btw, the suggestion to NOT use sign might be a valid one. By learning sign your child may develop a dependency on signs and may NEVER learn to use her speech to the full potential. Nobody on this board, myself included, might be truly qualified to help you so don't rely on us.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Skull
If someone want to be Deaf, one must learn sign-language! SEE isn´t sign-language, but ASL!:ily:

Any languages that uses motions of hands to express thoughts in a commication form while being independent from usage of verbal communications qualifies as a sign language variant. SEE is a form of sign language. So is ASL. :D

I agree with Bush_in_2004! with exception that aprilrain's post was asking people who knew about usage of sign language.

SEE would be good for final goal being speaking to hearing people, not to downgrade ASL. I find that SEE at least to my understanding has a few signs that are different, that is unless ESL is different SEE. I'm pretty sure ESL are the signs made up by hearing people(including some ASL signs), most school's I believe call this initialized signing. Grammar would be the pro for ESS learning but you will also need to learn more signs. ASL the pro would be to communicate with the deaf and hoh well. I do agree a lot with "Silence God's" ideas, I am hearing and often sign more on the SEE or ESL side because it's easier being hearing. Also the grammar in ASL is hard in fact I know some deaf people, born deaf who learned SEE first and than learned ASL later on and they struggled learning ASL. A parents decision is the final, but maybe this will help and good luck!

Sorry ESL, ESS and SEE I believe are all the same that's why I used them interchangeably.

Any languages that uses motions of hands to express thoughts in a commication form while being independent from usage of verbal communications qualifies as a sign language variant. SEE is a form of sign language. So is ASL. :D

I agree with Bush_in_2004! with exception that aprilrain's post was asking people who knew about usage of sign language.

SEE is not a language itself.

I would first check with the programs in the area where you said you child will be socializing with other deaf kids. Most programs in my area are based on TC and use SEE. That doesn't mean all areas are like this. You may be in an area that is teaching based on the bilingual bicultural model in which ASL would most likley be the main language focus. My opinion for what it's worth would be to go after English and SEE if at some point if you want your child to be able to communicate with hearing english speaking people but don't neglect ASL if that is what the deaf kids that she will socialize with are using.

SEE is not a language itself.

so, you're saying that i grew up without a language? :Ohno:

i grew up with SEE.. it's still a language because others who do not know any sign at all won't understand what i'm saying. :dunno:

Back