Learn ASL or SEE

People seem to have forgotten that this is a HEARING child, not a deaf one. She has access to spoken English, 100%, but she is just unable to expressively use it. Why learn another language, and then have all the complications that happen with English as a second language, when she could just sign English?.

Why is it that everyone believes it is wonderful my hearing grand children and great grand children, who have no impediment to hearing or speech, are learning ASL, but so many believe it would seriously damage those who do have some impediment?

This makes no sense to me.

All it will do is give your child one more tool with which to cope with the world. How can that be bad?

Why is it that everyone believes it is wonderful my hearing grand children and great grand children, who have no impediment to hearing or speech, are learning ASL, but so many believe it would seriously damage those who do have some impediment?

This makes no sense to me.

All it will do is give your child one more tool with which to cope with the world. How can that be bad?

I don't think it is bad to learn ASL, I'm saying that it is a second language. If the child is getting English receptively, and written, why have the expressive language be totally different?

I don't think it is bad to learn ASL, I'm saying that it is a second language. If the child is getting English receptively, and written, why have the expressive language be totally different?

but what's the difference when learning Spanish as 2nd language? it's a very expressive language and its structure is different from English as well. Other language should not be changed to accommodate English.

You either learn it and accept the way it is or stick with your primary language.

but what's the difference when learning Spanish as 2nd language? it's a very expressive language and its structure is different from English as well. Other language should not be changed to accommodate English.

You either learn it and accept the way it is or stick with your primary language.

The child needs a way to express herself in her L1. Why would you have one language for receptive and a totally different language for expressive?

The child needs a way to express herself in her L1. Why would you have one language for receptive and a totally different language for expressive?

a child can be both expressive and receptive in L1. It's up to parents to expand that language skill.

so am I. beside - CODA didn't have any problem with both ASL and English, eh?

CODA's use both languages, not half and half.

The child's first and primary language is spoken English. All of her incoming language will be in English, she would then have to switch languages, and express her thoughts in ASL. Why? She uses and understands English, but her mouth can not express it. Why should she use a totally different language for her expressive language? She will have to constantly translate from English (incoming) to ASL (out-going) and everyone around her will have to do the same.

Why not make it simpler, and stick with one language?

My daughter has a limited ability to be able to speak. She is now almost 7. Everyone said NOT to teach sign language, but now they have decided it is best if she learns sign language in order to be able to communicate.
My question is, which do you all prefer? She has no hearing problems. I don't know which she would benefit from more. I would like her to learn what most deaf children learn because she will be going to a group with other deaf children in order to meet others who communicate using sign. I would really appreciate your information. This is all very new to us.
Thanks,
April

This question was asked 6 and one half years ago. I don't know why you guys are arguing about it, but I do wonder what happened.

The child's first and primary language is spoken English. All of her incoming language will be in English, she would then have to switch languages, and express her thoughts in ASL. Why? She uses and understands English, but her mouth can not express it. Why should she use a totally different language for her expressive language? She will have to constantly translate from English (incoming) to ASL (out-going) and everyone around her will have to do the same.

The mother said she wanted her to use what most deaf children use.

Some kids have a hard time expressing in English, and have an easier time expressing themselves in Latin, Spanish or what so have you.

The OP's post sounds like one of those cases.

lol majority of hearing people can't even express themselves in lucid, intelligible way!

Not to mention...

Pidgin
Signed
English

There's a reason why more people use PSE than SEE. And many ASLers can switch between PSE and ASL.

Some kids have a hard time expressing in English, and have an easier time expressing themselves in Latin, Spanish or what so have you.

The OP's post sounds like one of those cases.

The OP's child has a physical problem. She has the ability to understand English but not the physical capacity to use her mouth to speak.

I'm guessing it's the stuttering issue that this child is having :dunno:

Back