Laurent (A Signing Town) Moved

Yes USA does have an offical language... English, of course. I heard Spanish soon will become USA's second offical language too.

Here in USA, you CAN'T get a decent job if you can't speak or write in English period.

It is true in some ways but there are people who dont speak good English that have been successful. My ex mother in law is successful running her own business dealing with international relationships with South America and Mexico and her English is very weak.

It is just very strongly encouraged that people master English skills. That's why I am against glossing ASL..I prefer the deaf children focus on developing their literacy skills using English even if they cant speak it.

It is true in some ways but there are people who dont speak good English that have been successful. My ex mother in law is successful running her own business dealing with international relationships with South America and Mexico and her English is very weak.

You're right. A while ago, I read an interesting article in Bend Bulletin' Business Section Newspaper that if you own a business... You will get more customers if you speak more than just English. For example, on that article, a car dealership who can speak both English and Spanish... One mexican immigrant arrived Bend, Oregon from Mexico... He wanted to purchase the truck but he struggled to communciate with many car dealers because he doesn't speak English very well... He almost gave up and went to different car dealership... One dealer came to him and spoke in Spanish. He got very impressed and able to communciate with him very well and purchased the truck. After that, he told his relatives about that dealer... More and more mexicans go that dealer to buy more vehicles. That dealer sales are skyrocketing because of that.

As for me, I use ASL all the time to communciate with people... Once I discover any worker in any place that I go to knows ASL, I always return to that place because we can communciate and I feel that workers are very loyal to me and treat me equal. Its felt really good.

If they had some basic infrastructure in place...such as utilities....and store...community center etc...to get the ball rolling....and lower cost parcels to get it started......then I could see it. But it seems they want people to make investments on some dream that might not happen. Trust me.....it ain't no bowl of cherries being out on the frozen tundra middle of nowhere wondering where all your 'new nieghbors' are.

I have not been part of this discussion, but I wish to point out that this is incorrect. The US does NOT have an official language, and there is NO requirement to learn to speak/write in English.

She's right. The REAL fact, USA do not have a official language. Hawaii stated that white people are minor under the Hawaiian people in Hawaii State.

Also in New Mexico, there's a BIG Indian reservation area, the Navajo. Some of Navajo people don't know English, and speak Navajo as their natural language and they born in here USA.

People thought English was our official language in USA, but really it's not. English is just the langauge we use for school, public, government, etc, but still NOT a official language.

Yes it does. Why do you think every school district across the nation REQUIRED to teach every student English?

Please show me the facts to prove me wrong.

Why don't you show me the law that makes English official? A quick Google search shows that only 30 states (not Federal) have laws declaring English as their official laqnguage. There is not yet a Federal law making it official. That means that in 20 states or 40% of the country does not have English as an official language. So it seems that in 30 states, we are both right, while in 20 you are wrong.

From: Official language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A few states, such as Sweden, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States, have no official language,..."

Yes it does. Why do you think every school district across the nation REQUIRED to teach every student English?

Please show me the facts to prove me wrong.

School require children to learn the English does not mean it is official language of whole country.

Some of schools in Portland, Oregon where I work at as Janitor, require children to learn Spanish.

Why don't you show me the law that makes English official? A quick Google search shows that only 30 states (not Federal) have laws declaring English as their official laqnguage. There is not yet a Federal law making it official. That means that in 20 states or 40% of the country does not have English as an official language. So it seems that in 30 states, we are both right, while in 20 you are wrong.

From: Official language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A few states, such as Sweden, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States, have no official language,..."

I just did my research. You're right that USA doesn't have an offical language yet. They're working on to make English to become an offical language for USA.

For your information, Wikipedia is not fact reference since it is mixed facts and opinions by big group of people. You will be surprised if you compare real facts and so called facts between Wikipedia and other references. Not many people are aware of it. Just letting you know. :)

For your information, Wikipedia is not fact reference since it is mixed facts and opinions by big group of people. You will be surprised if you compare real facts and so called facts between Wikipedia and other references. Not many people are aware of it. Just letting you know. :)

I knew that. I just thought I would use their link rather than some of the others I could have chosen.
:)

Thank you for the information. I think it is a good thing they are doing.
I feel that it will help having a town where you can learn more about death culture, tha same as we learn about other here in America. I am looking forward the visting them.

I feel that it will help having a town where you can learn more about death culture, tha same as we learn about other here in America. I am looking forward the visting them.

:iough:

:rofl: you mean deaf?

LOL!!!!!!!! That remind me of few months ago when I was debating with some hearing people about deaf cultures... I accidently typed "death" and they made fun of me... Oh well... That's my fault for messed up my arguement statement... I learned it in hard way to PAY ATTENTION to what I am typing.

Whoa, this thread must have inspired my dream last night, where I moved into a condo in a giant building designed for deaf people and signers. Vampyrox was there in his own condo (although I have no idea what he looks like in real life) and a bunch of the rest of you were getting ready to move in. It wasn't very nice, though, like the TV was really outdated, and then I heard the owner talking about how he COULD have make some nice suites out of some of the smaller rooms, but decided it would cost too much.

Hmm.

Back