Laurent (A Signing Town) Moved

Maybe we should offer Miller to do that? Instead of having a overwhelming hard working for a big town just for small community deaf?

You are bringing up good idea here :D I like your idea :)

I believe I saw one comment in one of his last blogs was suggesting to build a condos for deafies and signers.

Aww thanks! :)

I rather to have some people else to do that since I am not fond of Miller.

Speaking of condos for deafies and signers... Again, its illegal to discrimate any buyer who happens to be hearing and doesn't know ASL too. I know its complicated but true. Oh well...

I am completely against this idea. I personally know Miller and discussed it with him few years ago. He is doing this just for profit and will leave that new town for signers with millions of dollars.

Well, there are easier ways to make money, so I doubt it's the ONLY thing he's in it for--but what's wrong with making money?

He plans to take advantage of deaf people including you guys. Miller already doing brainwash many deaf people to live in his community, will continue doing it to get more deaf people to move to his community, and will hurt them at the end. Do not trust him.

Deaf people are weak willed and can be brainwashed? We're not talking about Jim Jones here, I don't think.

Different point... Would you want to live in a community that you would isolute yourself from the reality just get away from hearing people?
Television, movies, books, news, internet would all stop working? I'm not sure it's possible to be isolated from the rest of the world in any technological country.

They can't do that. That is illegal to discriminate workers because they don't know ASL. What's if that town attracts corporations such as Google or Boeing or Verizon that are known as "hearing" companies decide to relocate there and they will ignore the policy by hiring workers that don't know ASL? They will sue Miller or city for discimination for sure.

There are ways around the discrimination of hearing workers. If the business is owned and operated by a D/d person, they do not have to, by law, make accommodations for a hearing person who can't communicate in ASL. However, when the business is owned by a hearing person, they do have to provide accommodations for the D/d employees. So, in effect, it isn't illegal.

I like the idea of a town where everyone uses sign language. Great place to bring a deaf child up instead of sticking them in a mainstream school where they are the only deaf person.

how will he ever make millions? when he have to pay millions to set it up, build, police aid, and list goes on pay federal taxes, state taxes, county taxes. pay roads, pay many things... so much to list..

will he be a millionaire right away? i doubt. maybe 30 years later? if its all successful. and he deserve it.. cuz its a hell of a job.
even those who owns uncorperated( sp?) town aren't millionaires.

Deaf people are weak willed and can be brainwashed? We're not talking about Jim Jones here, I don't think.

No offensive, I know so many deaf people are very easy to be convinced or brainwashed. For example, why do you think Jehavior's Witness are more often focus on deaf people more than hearing people? That is because they thinks they can brainwash them. Also some deaf people are more likely to believe in rumors than looking at the facts first. I think it is really sad to see some deaf people are that way. It is not just for deaf... Hearing people are like that too. The point is Miller feels that he can fools deaf people as well.

[/QUOTE]Television, movies, books, news, internet would all stop working? I'm not sure it's possible to be isolated from the rest of the world in any technological country.[/QUOTE]

That is not the point. I am talking about the reality. Supposely if many deaf people end up living in signer only community... One day they might be forget how to communciate with hearing people... How to use an interpreter... How to write in proper English since they will only uses ASL... They might miss out what is happening to ours world lately... There are one perfect examples of some communities in USA... Look at Sisters, Oregon (I lived there before) people have NO IDEA what gay people are like... Never met African american before in their lifetime... Never faced the challenges... Never experience the diversity of people before. They have isoluted themselves from the reality.

There are ways around the discrimination of hearing workers. If the business is owned and operated by a D/d person, they do not have to, by law, make accommodations for a hearing person who can't communicate in ASL. However, when the business is owned by a hearing person, they do have to provide accommodations for the D/d employees. So, in effect, it isn't illegal.

Trust me, they will sue for sure.

Insteresting points brought up here. I dont really care if I live in a hearing town or a deaf town as long as I have a good job that I love, my family, my health and my sanity. :giggle:

No offensive, I know so many deaf people are very easy to be convinced or brainwashed. For example, why do you think Jehavior's Witness are more often focus on deaf people more than hearing people? That is because they thinks they can brainwash them. Also some deaf people are more likely to believe in rumors than looking at the facts first. I think it is really sad to see some deaf people are that way. It is not just for deaf... Hearing people are like that too. The point is Miller feels that he can fools deaf people as well.
Television, movies, books, news, internet would all stop working? I'm not sure it's possible to be isolated from the rest of the world in any technological country.[/QUOTE]

That is not the point. I am talking about the reality. Supposely if many deaf people end up living in signer only community... One day they might be forget how to communciate with hearing people... How to use an interpreter... How to write in proper English since they will only uses ASL... They might miss out what is happening to ours world lately... There are one perfect examples of some communities in USA... Look at Sisters, Oregon (I lived there before) people have NO IDEA what gay people are like... Never met African american before in their lifetime... Never faced the challenges... Never experience the diversity of people before. They have isoluted themselves from the reality.[/QUOTE]

An integrated community would be far more likely that a completely segregrated community. And history teaches us that a completely integrated community removes the stigma and the disability from deafness.

Television, movies, books, news, internet would all stop working? I'm not sure it's possible to be isolated from the rest of the world in any technological country.

That is not the point. I am talking about the reality. Supposely if many deaf people end up living in signer only community... One day they might be forget how to communciate with hearing people... How to use an interpreter... How to write in proper English since they will only uses ASL... They might miss out what is happening to ours world lately... There are one perfect examples of some communities in USA... Look at Sisters, Oregon (I lived there before) people have NO IDEA what gay people are like... Never met African american before in their lifetime... Never faced the challenges... Never experience the diversity of people before. They have isoluted themselves from the reality.

Good point you brought up here. Good posting.
An integrated community would be far more likely that a completely segregrated community. And history teaches us that a completely integrated community removes the stigma and the disability from deafness.[/QUOTE]

Good point you brought up here. Good posting.

I think most of this discussion is moot. I don't think it's going to happen. It's a nice idea... I just don't think it's going to be possible.

Capmeister, I wonder if I've met you or your brother, since both of you are here in MI. . .

Back to the thread, I also know Marvin and have since I was a young teenager. I wish him the best of luck w/ his vision, it's probably hard work to be able to manage to pull that off! I doubt he's "brainwashing" the Deaf, as he's Deaf himself & the $$$ would be going into building the town, paying for many many different things! Like another poster said, maybe 30 yrs later he'll be 'rich' but that's only cause by then he'd have worked hard for many years to make this town set up wheter it'd be successful or not.

As for me, I wouldn't care where I lived as long as I am happy and have my family with me. :]

Deafmama--could be. He's a substitute teacher at Michigan School for the Deaf, just graduated from MSU with his degree in Special Education, and last semester taught ASL at Lansing Community College. :)

I think most of this discussion is moot. I don't think it's going to happen. It's a nice idea... I just don't think it's going to be possible.

Moot? I was just giving out the news that Miller move to Indiana, so that mean he failed for Laurent in SD. Ur right, his plan didn't successful for South Dakota, so he moved. That is what we was supposed to discuss about.

Moot? I was just giving out the news that Miller move to Indiana, so that mean he failed for Laurent in SD. Ur right, his plan didn't successful for South Dakota, so he moved. That is what we was supposed to discuss about.

I just mean I don't think the town will really ever happen. I think it would be cool, and I'd love to visit such a place, but I don't think it's economically going to really become a reality.

So the discussion of how the town would be beneficial or too limiting or whatever, is mostly an acedemic one.

But--hey, a guy with a dream--I hope it works out for him. I just don't have a lot of confidence that it will.

I just mean I don't think the town will really ever happen. I think it would be cool, and I'd love to visit such a place, but I don't think it's economically going to really become a reality.

So the discussion of how the town would be beneficial or too limiting or whatever, is mostly an acedemic one.

But--hey, a guy with a dream--I hope it works out for him. I just don't have a lot of confidence that it will.

Ohh I get your point. Yeah it's almost impossible for the town to be built..

I have not been part of this discussion, but I wish to point out that this is incorrect. The US does NOT have an official language, and there is NO requirement to learn to speak/write in English.

Yes USA does have an offical language... English, of course. I heard Spanish soon will become USA's second offical language too.

Here in USA, you CAN'T get a decent job if you can't speak or write in English period.

Back