Lactose intolerance

You are a master manipulator, you have uncanny skill to twist and turn everything a second it becomes uncovenient for you.

I am honest and open mind person who accept both sides. I do feel sorry for you. I don´t care whatever you think of me because it´s not my problem. I only post what I know... I has no reason to post if I don´t know anything or make up the stories. I find sad that you see wrong in me.

I am not saying you are a bad person

Yes you have.

- I am saying I don't trust you.

I do not expect you to trust me or beleive me. It´s your free choice. Everyone free to post what they beleive in or what they know or what they experience and what they stand. It´s people´s decision if they want to accept their posts or not.

FYI just last summer I went to Europe, I been to Germany as well,
and let me tell you this. Yes the milk has slightly different taste there but IT DOESN'T MEAN it has different properties and your cows does not produce carbs or SODIUM in milk.

Why you said this today for a first time since you know from my previous posts about my experience on milk tastes?

Yes the taste might be different but you claimed that is because American milk is full of chemicals whereas German is not. NOT SO.

Unfortunlately, it´s true. I do taste American milk like they add something in milk. I didn´t say that they add FULL of chemicals. I only said that I taste US milk like they add something in milk ... something favor... not real milk. I had been tasted 2 different milks is fat-free milk and 2% reduced milk. I would say that 2% reduced milk is better than fat-free milk. If I find them horrible then I would not drink but I do drink or use them for cereal. I accept and drink them because their taste is not bad. It´s truth...

But that, is simply spreading false information, and that is misleading.

I has no reason to make a false information or whatever but the fact.

Also, for the umpteenth time, yes SODIUM is a natural chemical, produced in cow's body, one out of many other chemicals in milk.

Okay

Yes, German cow's bodies does produce sodium.... even if your farmer doesn't know about that.

Okay

Sodium, not TABLE SALT !!

:confused: I already stated many times that soduim and salt are not the same thing.

a single chemical, Na, that is also found naturally in veggies, and meat. organic or not.
do you understand naturally?

Okay, this is your knowledge. I don´t bother to say anything further because you think you are right and I am wrong. I do not need to waste my time to explain you the facts. What I created the threads about healthy foods and drink is enough... If you think I made a misleading information or whatever then don´t post in my threads.. Many ADers and I enjoy ourselves to share our view on foods and drink issues because we find interesting... The websites I provided is match German´s.

But saying "that's because gee, your milk has a lot of chemicals in it, for example Sodium and Carbohydrates" - is NOT.

That´s okay what you beleive in.

It is NOT because
a/ it is not because of carbs, sodium etc,
b/ all milk has it naturally
c/it also proves you don't understand what are you talking about.
because carbohydrates and Sodium is simply what all milk is made of - a normal, natural part of milk everywhere. even organic milk.

those are NOT some artificial additives like you thought.

Okay

Did I said A LOT OF SODIUM? I said ""very much needed"", not a lot of IT needed,
which means if our body doesn't have ANY sodium we could even die.

Why have I repeat my post? Did I said that you said "a lot of soduim"? Yes I do read and typed exact what you said "very much needed". I correct you that we need to limit soduim in our body, not very much needed. You need to look my thread "Soduim"... Ohhhhh I am sorry that I should not suggest you to look at my threads because you said that you do not trust me and claim that I am master manipulator, uncanny skill etc... Forget my suggestion....

what are you laughing at? once again you just completely misunderstood what I am talking about.

I laugh ingredient mean is add item in recipe or whatever. Milk come from cow, no ingredients. If I see no ingredients which mean is just MILK like written on the front of bottle or packet.

Did I say
""German don´t write "MILK" on the bottles or packet" ????

You thought because you said that MILK should be add in ingredient. Why should German need to add milk in ingredient extra which they already print MILK on the front of bottle/packet which is good enough... If they add something item or whatever in ingredients then they have to write which item they add in. It was like "recipe".

no, I said YOU don't know that milk is an indgredient ITSELF.
Protein, fat, calories- is an information about milk's nutritional value, milk is an ingredient in the package of milk.

See above.

Hyponatremia -- what is it?
Hyponatremia means a low concentration of sodium in the blood. When it occurs in triathletes, it usually happens during long or ultra-distance races in the heat but may occur anytime. It is estimated that approximately 30% of the finishers of the Hawaii Ironman are both hyponatremic and dehydrated. The longer the race, the greater the risk of hyponatremia.

At least four marathon runners have died from hyponatremia-related trauma in the last decade,
washingtonpost.com: Running the Risk of Too Much Water

Yes I remember this because we discussed about this in other threads last year.

You didn´t admit your mistake in your posts but twist and misinterpret my posts... Look at example of my post... I did ADMIT my one mistake instead of twist or misinterpret my post.
I keep saying that I made a mistake; I don't see how that's twisting words. I don't know any other way to say, "I made a mistake." :dunno:

:confused: I repeat my preference in previous posts.
I said I made a mistake. OK. How many times do we need to repeat this?

:confused: Can you show me where I said that you said anything about complaining to my host?
You brought it up, not me. Just drop it.

No, you said that you thought I prefer fat-free milk because I drank it... I explain you that I accept anything with no complaint what the host have in their house. Please don´t try to misinterpret my post... Please stick what I said.
Fine. I accept whatever you say. :bowdown:

If you don´t care or accept about my view and experience then don´t post.
What? Am I "forbidden" from posting if I don't care about or accept your view?

Hmm, that sounds familiar...

What I experience because I compare both is the fact. They DO written soduim in the back of label. I was surprised that they written soduim on the back of label which Germany doesn´t but they only written if soduim is in.
That's because we have different laws. America requires all those nutrients be listed even if there are ZERO g or ZERO percentages in the product. That's so the American consumer can be better informed.

This is so... I COMPARED the American cereal, I brought with to German cereal. Their soduim is more than German soduim. They also written sugar as well in the label... I taste American foods - their is much sweet and soduim than Germany. It´s fact.
So? I never disputed that. I never said that no American products contain added sodium or sugar. I was posting about the properties of MILK. Not even ALL milk, but plain, regular milk.

I linked at my thread "German culture" few days ago. A lot of people said the same thing and view and experience as me. There´re no false accusations but the fact. I am sure that you remember some ADers said in previous threads, too.
I'm not talking about individual taste or preferences. I'm talking about what is in natural milk. You accused American dairies of adding sodium to their milk. That is FALSE. If they add anything to milk they must list it under "INGREDIENTS". Sodium is not listed under milk ingredients. Therefore, no sodium is added.

Why didn´t you say anything the same to Reba who made mistake for claim that the website is from Europe?
Give it a rest.

What you think is not my problem... All what I taste the difference... Alot of Americans and Europeans said the same thing as me as well... The problem is you and Reba cannot accept it.
Excuse me? I stated several times that the taste of milk can vary. I never denied that. I explained the reasons that milk can taste different, from country to country, from brand to brand, from state to state, whatever.

Go and back to re-read my post. I never said that soduim come from cow... It´s Reba who says that natural soduim in cow. I SUGGEST her that it could be that they feed cow with foods in soduim... I has no idea why you make up extra than just soduim. Reba explained and I questioned her.
I said that sodium is naturally occuring in the milk that comes from the cow. It's naturally in all milk, everywhere around the world.

Ingredient mean is what they add in... They add nothing which mean is JUST milk like the front of bottle/packet of milk...
"Ingredient" on the package list means everything that is in the package. If the package contains just an apple, then the "ingredient" is an apple. It doesn't mean it's an additive. It just includes everything that's in the box, bag, or can.

:gpost:

Completely agree with you here. I think milk just as much cruelty as meat eating.

First of all the cow is artificially insaminated. That means she doesn't even get to 'do it' naturally.

Then when the baby is born that baby gets taken away which is very stressful for the mother cow as cows are quite intelligent and form bonds with their baby.

Then they are given hormones to make them produce more milk then they would naturally which must be quite painful for them.

Then while they are still producing milk they are made pregnant again by the same brutal method. So they are pregnant and also producing milk at the SAME time.

It's a hard life being a dairy cow. It's not as if milk was even good for you as it isn't.

Wow, other vegan biased.

Reba, is it right? :)

Sodium and Carb are just natural from cow, also some companies are rid of sodium or carb like Lactaid did rid of lactose and others are rid of sodium (like in Germany).

Few type of sodium can be added to prevent the taste or expands more fresh date.

Most elementary school in USA, Kids are require to drink milk and balanced meal like meat, vegetable, fruit, bread and dessert, also kids who is lactose intolerance then need have water/juice or special milk if school does offers. If kids don't like it then they can bring their lunchbox but soda are banned.

I respect your post but I would like to ask you question bit since I know you are a vegetarin.

I'm vegan.

Are you British?

Yes. I live in England (Europe). Never been to canada.

You are against milk. Do you mean that you don´t drink or eat any dairy products because of this? What kind of foods and drink, you use as dairy product replacement if you are against dairy products that´s because they made of milk?

Yes, I am very much against all dairy products. I don't intentionally eat or drink anything with dairy products. I even switched brands of my thyroxine because the pills I used to take had lactose in them so now I have liquid thyroxine which is lactose free.

I replace milk with soya milk. I replace cheese with 'cheezly' which is also made from soya. I replace icecream with a range of vegan icecreams including Be nice 'rice cream' which is made with rice milk.

Replacing dairy products with none dairy replacements are not as hard as you may think.

Most elementary school in USA, Kids are require to drink milk.

That's terrible! :pissed:

fancy being forced to drink something like milk that is known to be bad for you and is also full of pus, antibiotics and steroids. That can't be right to give to a young child.

A baby gets human breast milk. After that milk is no longer neccessary. Certainly not milk from a differant species.

It isn't just vegan bias. A non vegan cancer charity is advising people to give up dairy products to help prevent cancer.

I am not saying you are a bad person

Yes you have.

See? this is how you twist and manipulate everything everybody says.

If I say I don't think you are a bad person that means I don't think you are a bad person. I think you are generally Okay person with a few not very nice treats - like manipulating and convinced you so know better! (but you don't, really) - and that is why I don't trust you.

I am honest and open mind person who accept both sides.

I doubt it.
Under false pretense of "exchanging information and experience",
you bash American milk. And you are doing it beautifully, I must add, but you are not fooling ME.

And what does that supposed to mean?:
Well I am for REAL dairy products, with no chemical added.

Fuzzy: excuse me? so, in your sly and twisted way aren't you saying American milk is NOT real? with chemical added? OH YES you DO!!!

I was like wow when I read back of milk label when I was in USA. They add soduim in milk...

Fuzzy: wow indeed :)
they ADD Sodium in milk??... see, with all your courses, and you didn't even knew the milk contains sodium NATURALLY. meaning the cow makes it.
They don't have to add table salt to milk because milk already has it's own Sodium. Sodium. not salt.

Here in Germany, no.

no indeed, because the cow already took care of it. here, too. they produce Sodium on it's own..

and look here:

Yes we do have salt in cottage cheese but not sodium.

this is so silly... no sodium but salt?
Salt = Sodium Chloride

so if you have SALT in your cottage cheese, yes you DO HAVE Sodium.

Remember that sodium and salt are not the same thing.

Your problem Liebling is, you don't understand Quite what does it mean.!

yes not every Sodium is salt, but yes every table salt is Sodium.

every table (common) salt = Sodium (Na Cl, or Sodium Chloride). It's a chemical made of two elements - Sodium NA and Chlorine Cl.

Sodium - not just table salt. might be just a single elemnt Na, or compound like Sodium Bicarbonate, or Lye, or other

got it?

Here's an example of how you Do Not understand that everything on the Earth is made of chemicals.

Interesting, we don´t have any soduim in fresh and organic vegetables and fruits... or organic meats... because they don´t use chemical spray on them.

Contrary to what yout hink, it's not from chemical sprays.
An yes, you do HAVE Sodium in your organic German vegetables and meat. It's normal element of some vegetables and some meat. Like Oxygen is normal element of water.

Human body is made of chemicals. Your cat is made of chemicals. Your kids are made of chemicals. Drinking water is chemical. Chicken egg is chemical. grass is chemical. vegetables is chemical. and since animals are chemicals, meat you eat, too is chemical.
Dead things are chemicals, too... like, the fabric of your shirt is chemical. The pot your cook in. Your shoes. your garbage bag. Soil. Everything.

everything is chemical = made of some chemical ELEMENTS that create complicated compounds.
For example, water is compound of two basic elements -gas Hydrogen and gas Oxygen.

Various chemicals are also: proteins, vitamins, minerals, fats, carbs, and many more
and it is perfectly normal to found them in our food as well.
Some food has more of something that other.
For example, everybody knows that lemon has a lot of Vit C, and carrot has not as much but has a lot of Vit A.
Same with Sodium. Some foods have it, some not.

Just because some milk or meat or vegetable contains sodium or potassium or carbs it doesn't mean it was ADDED artificially.

Actually, if you have specific nutritional needs, your doctor with advise you to eat food that is best for your problem, for example if you have anemia, one that contains a lot of Iron.
Do you think Iron is added to meat? no, Iron is in meat naturally, meat is natural source od Iron.
If your doctor thinks you need more Calcium, he will say "drink more milk, milk is rich in calcium".
By the same token milk HAS Sodium. And they let you know here in US how much, so you can watch how much sodium is in your overall diet.

That is because Americans want to watch their Sodium intake,
they demanded that it will be included in our nutritional labels.
Obviously, Germans does not have the same STRICT regulations as Americans.

Americans demand full and specific nutritional information.
Some people have high blood pressure, some suffer from anemia, some are alergic to nuts, some do not want eat trans fats, or carbs, some does not want to eat corn sirup,
and everyone wants to know how many calories. That is why our lables are longer, more detailed and with more names.
WE are not satisfied with mere "proteins, fat and carbs" - we want to know more.

Here is another perfect example of your manipulating and twisting to get out of uncomfortable situation:

" ...was like wow when I read back of milk label when I was in USA. They add soduim in milk..."
and then:
What I said ADD which mean is WRITTEN on the label. Got it?

flat out lie!, ""THEY ADD sodium in milk"" means one thing only - they ADD Sodium to the milk after.
Hey, didn't you ask the farmer if there is Sodium in milk or not?
at that point, you tought Sodium is "chemical" added to the milk after.

Why you said this today for a first time since you know from my previous posts about my experience on milk tastes?

And why does it matter?

As I've said before, the issue is not if the milk tastes differently to YOU, but your implying that American milk is full of chemicals.
For that, I don't have to go to Germany and taste your milk.

Have you simply said, like a REAL friend, hey your milk taste differently to me, sorry I don't like the taste - that would be no plm. I accept that.

I din't like German milk that much either - also, I couldn't even find Lactose free milk but that may have been because we were car travelling, so we stopped at small stores by highway, only.

But since you started criticizing our labels as "chemicals", not knowing what that does really mean at that - hey, then it's whole 'nother story.
It's not friendly exchange anymore is spreading lies. And misinformation.

yes, German milk tastes different but it has nothing to do with Calcium or Sodium in the milk, it has nothing to do with the labels.
It has everything to do with different kind of soils and vegetation or feed that your cows eat, with different milking methods, materials you use for processing milk. that is the reason for difference.
If you feed one chicken corn and another wheat, you can be sure their meat or even eggs will taste different.
But it doesn't mean one will be "better" than the other, or more "natural".

I had been tasted 2 different milks is fat-free milk and 2% reduced milk.

Why haven't you tried homogenized milk, or organic milk that is also available readily at the stores everwhere?

And- you are comparing fat free milk to your regular milk? why? what's the point?

So, to summarize. You tried merely two, not so great tasting kinds of milk in USA ,
and you think you have enough information to imply our milk is "chemical" and German is better, Even if you drink ther different milk, not a fat free one. hmmm.

Fuzzy

oops entered submit by mistake..

so I'll continue..

this is your knowledge. I don´t bother to say anything further because you think you are right and I am wrong.

No, this is not "my knowledge".
This is what they TEACH at school, be it American, German, Chinese, French... seems you missed the classes, sadly.

Yes I do read and typed exact what you said "very much needed". I correct you that we need to limit soduim in our body,

Except I DID NOT say " we need a lot of Sodium".
I said we need Sodium for our body to be able function. If you don't have Sodium in your body, you die.
Your correct something I DID NOT SAY.

I laugh ingredient mean is add item in recipe or whatever. Milk come from cow, no ingredients. If I see no ingredients which mean is just MILK like written on the front of bottle or packet.

sigh.... because milk come from cow, no igredients.. hmm.
it's clear you don't understand, but I am lost as how to explain that to you. maybe someone else will be able to.

Liebling, trust me - you just don't understand.
Remeber our discussion about cat food? You wouldn't understand what HAM is. Finally I showed you two pictures and only then you got it.
Trust me - it's the same here, only sadly this time there are no pictures I would like to show you.

Fuzzy

I just want to say that I love you all.

*Hugs Liebling
*Hugs Audiofuzzy
*Hugs Reba

I'd like to add something that is off topic, so I apologize but it is important to me to say.

Ok, before I came to Canada 25 years ago from Europe (Poland and Germany) I couldn't get used to how the food tasted here.
While in Germany I loved yogurt, but Canadian yogurt tasted terrible to me. I was so dissapointed. Same with cottage cheese- I like the dry one but Canadian is so much different from European white curd cheeses.
(Now I love it!!!)

So, you can imagine how excited I was when I was going to Poland after spending 11 years in Canada. I thought about all those foods I was going to taste again!

Guess what - another dissapoinment. The cheese seemed to be different than I remembered, so did the German yogurt (total dissapointment) and some other stuff I used to like and missed.

What happened?
This happened - you get used to the taste you eat day in, day out for prolonged period of time.
Once you get used to the new food, you most likely will have to get used to the old one all over again. It's normal. It's how your taste buds work.

What's more, I got used to the Canadian food so much I actually missed some of Candian food while in Europe! :)

The same thing happened when we went last year to Germany, Holland, and Poland. I missed a lot of Canadian foods.
I am not saying I didn't enjoy anything while in Europe - I did, but not neccessarily what I thought I will enjoy.

So, Liebling, while I understand how the milk could have been not tasty to you, and I accept that in whole, because I know that from my own experience,
please bear in mind that it's merely a matter of being USED TO.
It is very possible that you, like me, if you were to move to USA for stay - after drinking a year or two of only American milk, you might be surpised to find you'll have to get used to the German milk all over again.

Fuzzy

I just want to say that I love you all.

*Hugs Liebling
*Hugs Audiofuzzy
*Hugs Reba

That is beautiful, I love you too, Darkdog and ya all!

Even while I seem to be a mad dog frothing at the mouth - to me, it's only a discussion. I still can hug you Liebling and go to have beer with you after we are done :)
If you'll have me, that is :)

Fuzzy

I typed this up because I was bored, and I guess I wanted to review some stuff from college. Come to think of it, the only information actually relevant to this discussion is in the last secion, so feel free to skip ahead to that. Just so you know, I didn’t pull this stuff out of my head; I had to consult some old textbooks for this information (specifically, Chemistry: Matter and Its Changes by Brady, Russell, and Holum). I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the following, so if you know I’m wrong on something, please point it out. I’d appreciate the opportunity to learn. So without further a due, here we go.

Darkdog’s Excessively Comprehensive Guide to Sodium

Quantum Mechanics

To begin, I’m going to give you a crash course in quantum physics. There are several facets to quantum physics that all fit together.

Planck’s Law- There are discrete (i.e. quantized) levels of energy. Hence, the term quantum mechanics.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle- You can never know with perfect certainty where a particle, such as an electron exists. You can only know the probability of that particle existing in a given area in a given time frame. Observing something changes the very nature of that thing. So for all you peeping toms out there trying to stare through an electron’s window at night, keep in mind it knows you’re watching.

The Photoelectric Effect- The energy from a photon (electromagnetic wave) is directly proportional to its wavelength.

The Schrödinger Equation- All matter is a wave. The Schrödinger equation looks very similar to the equation for an electromagnetic wave, an acoustic wave, or an ocean wave. The main difference is the thing that’s actually waving. In an ocean wave, it’s the water that’s waving. In an acoustic wave, it’s the air molecules that are waving. In an electromagnetic wave, it’s the electric and magnetic fields that are waving. So what’s waving in the Schrödinger equation? The probability of a particle’s existence. Huh? Yeah, pretty abstract and weird. For the sake of this discussion, don’t bother trying to understand it beyond that. I really don’t.

Wave-particle duality- Particles can act as waves. Likewise, electromagnetic waves have momentum, which is a concept associated only with matter in classical physics. So matter acts like waves and waves act like matter.

The Structure of Elements

All atoms consist of neutrons, electrons, and protons. The nucleus of an atom consists of the neutrons and protons. Outside of that, electrons are spinning around. The type of element is determined by how many protons are in the nucleus. There are the same number of neutrons and in general, the same number of electrons. The protons and neutrons are tightly held in the middle of the atom by very strong nuclear forces. The electrons are held in the atom by much weaker electromagnetic forces. Protons have a positive charge and electrons have a negative charge. Remember that opposite charges attract whereas same charges repel. Both protons and electrons hold a charge of 1.602E-19 Coulombs, which is referred to as the “elementary charge” and represented as a constant by e or sometimes q. When an atom has the same numbers of electrons and protons, their charges cancel each other and the net charge is 0.

The way electrons are structured around an atom is determined by the rules of quantum mechanics (glad we went over that now, aren't you?). When I refer to the energy of an electron, I refer to its potential energy. It’s much like gravity. There’s a force on electrons that attract them toward the nucleus. That force is much like the gravitational force attracting you and me to the earth. If you stood at the top of a cliff, you would have a much greater potential energy than if you were standing at the bottom of the cliff. It’s the same with electrons. The further away they are from the nucleus, the greater potential energy they have.

Each electrons in an atom occupies its own “state”. These states are divided into four categories. From biggest to smallest, they are shells, subshells, magnetic quantum number, and spin quantum number. This works much like your address. You have a country (shell), then state or province (subshell), then a city (magnetic quantum number), then a street address (spin quantum number). Just because a state exists doesn’t mean it has to be occupied by an electron. Not every address within your city is occupied. Some entire cities may be empty (ghost towns). In fact, entire states can be empty (i.e. Wyoming. Well, close enough)

Around the atoms, there are “shells”. The shells are referred to as n (called the principle quantum number) and are labeled from one up. The first shell (n=1) is the lowest energy shell. As n increases, so does the energy of the electrons. Think of shells as circles around the nucleus that contain electrons (like rings in a tree). The first shell is the closest circle and the higher shells are further away.

Within each shell, there are “subshells”. The subshells are referred to as l (lowercase L, called the secondary quantum number) and are labeled from zero up. Each subshell also has its own letter, which seems somewhat arbitrary. For l=0, the letter is s. For l=1, the letter is p. For l=2, the letter is d. For l=3, the letter is f. Beyond that, it goes in alphabetical order starting with g. I don’t know who came up with that lettering scheme, or what they were drinking when they did. The s,p,d, and f subshells are the ones you’ll hear about most.

Subshells are then divided by the magnetic quantum number, or m sub l (l is really a subscript, but I can't do that in the forum, so I have to say m sub l). m sub l is a integer that ranges from –l to +l.

The final division is the spin quantum number, or m sub s. This can be either +1/2 or -1/2. This is often referred to as up or down.

So, how many electrons can fit into each of these categories? Let’s start from the top with the spin quantum number. One electron can occupy the up spin and one electron can occupy the down spin.

Each magnetic quantum number can have two spin quantum numbers (up and down).

The number of magnetic quantum numbers inside a subshell is determined by which subshell it is. Since m sub s can go from –l to +l, that means there are 2l+1 magnetic quantum numbers inside a subshell. For example, if l=3, then m sub s can be -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3. In this case, 2l+1=7. You can count that there are seven numbers there.

The number of subshells in a shell is equal to n. That’s easy. So for the n=3 shell, there are three subshells.

There can be infinity shells, but in reality, you only see as many as about 7.

It’s important to know how many states are in each subshell. Using the information above, we find it to be the following:

l=0 (s subshell): 2 electrons
l=1 (p subshell): 6 electrons
l=2 (d subshell): 10 electrons
l=3 (f subshell): 14 electrons

Also, using the above information, we’re going to figure out which subshells are in which shells.

n=1: s
n=2: s,p
n=3: s,p,d
n=4: s,p,d,f

This is important for notating the electrons in an atom. Let’s represent the electrons in an arsenic (As) atom. Arsenic has 33 electrons (assuming none have been ripped off or added, which is possible, as we’ll get to later). Here’s how that representation would look.

As 1s(2) 2s(2) 2p(6) 3s(2) 3p(6) 4s(2) 3d(10) 4p(3)

The big numbers are the shell. The letters (s,p,d) are the subshells. The numbers in parentheses should be superscripted, but again, I can't do that here, so I put them in parentheses. They are the number of electrons in that subshell. The order goes from lowest energy level to highest energy level. The 4s subshell comes before the 3d subshell because the 4s subshell actually has a lower energy than the 3d subshell (the explaination as to why that is exceeds the scope of this guide). There is a way to represent the magnetic quantum numbers and spin quantum numbers, but for our needs, that won’t be necessary.

If you add the superscripted numbers, you get 33 electrons (2+2+6+2+6+2+10+3=33). All of the subshells are full except for the last one, 4p. The 4p subshell can hold 10 electrons, but it only holds three, because that's all that's left after the lower subshells take up the first 30. Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost shell. In this case, the outermost shell is 4. Arsenic has 5 valence electrons. Since valence electrons are the ones responsible for most of the chemical behavior of that element, we can ignore the electrons in lower shells and represent just the valence electrons as such:

As 4s(2) 4p(3)

If you look at the periodic table, it’s actually divided by subshells. The two columns on the far left contain the elements whose highest subshell is s. The six columns on the far right contain the elements whose highest subshell is p. The ten columns in the middle represent the elements whose highest subshell is d. The two rows at the bottom with 14 columns represent the elements whose highest subshell is f (Technically, they should be between the s columns and d columns, but then the table would be too wide, so they put them at the bottom. It’s kind of like how they show Hawaii and Alaska in a corner of the US map so the map isn’t too big). 2,6,10,14- those numbers should sound familiar (they're the number of electrons in subshells). The only exception to the above is Helium. It’s highest subshell is 1s, but it’s on the far right. The reason because it’s an inert gas, and all the inert gases are placed over there. Row one contains 1s, row two contains 2s and 2p, row three contains 3s and 3p, row four contains 4s, 3d, and 4p, and so on.

Sodium and Salt

When sodium combines with chlorine, it forms sodium chloride, also known as salt. There are many different types of salt, but when we refer to salt in regards to food and nutrition, we mean sodium chloride.

Take a look at your periodic table and find sodium (symbol Na). It’s number 11, meaning it has 11 protons, 11 neutrons, and 11 electrons (normally). It’s in the third row, first column. Its highest subshell is 3s and that subshell has one electron. It has one valence electron which is represented as such:

Na 3s(1)

It can also be represent by a Lewis symbol, where each dot represents a valence electron:

Na .

Now find chlorine (symbol Cl). It’s number 17 on the periodic table. It has 17 protons, 17 neutrons, and 17 electrons (again, under normal conditions). It’s in the third row, second column from the right. Its highest subshell is 3p and that subshell has five electrons. It has seven valence electrons (2 from 3s and 5 from 3p). Here is its representation.

Cl 3s(2) 3p(5)

or

.Cl:

Chlorine’s valence shell (n=4) has room for one more electron. When sodium and chlorine combine, the one valence electron from sodium occupies that free space in chlorine and they both share two electrons. The Lewis diagram for Sodium Chloride looks like this.
Na:Cl:

However, if sodium chloride every break up (by being dissolved in water for instance), the chlorine atom keeps that extra electron (“That bastard! He came into my life, bonded with me, took my only valence electron, and left! I bet he’s bonding with that floozy, Potassium, right now!” Poor sodium :(). So anyway, sodium will be left with one missing electron and chlorine will have one extra electron. Since sodium has 11 protons and now only 10 electrons, it’s net charge is no longer zero; it’s positive. The net charge is now +e. It’s referred to as a positive ion, or cation. Chlorine, on the other hand, now has a negative charge. It has 17 protons and 18 electrons, so the net charge is –e. It’s called a negative ion, or anion. Now that they have net charges, they can conduct electricity and respond to electric fields.

Sodium in Milk and the Body

The body’s nervous system uses ions in electrolytes to transmit messages across nerves and to muscles. Sodium is one of the primary ions it uses. Sodium isn’t bad for your health. In fact, you tend to die without it. On the other hand, in excess, it can be harmful. As a toxicologist would say, the quantity makes the poison. There’s an optimal level of sodium intake and there are negative ramifications to consuming more or less than that. The reason sodium has a bad reputation is because people tend to get too much of it, so it’s usually beneficial to limit intake and get closer to the optimal amount. It’s also possible to consume too much fiber, but people tend to not get enough of it. That’s why you see magazine articles about increasing your diet intake. If people did get too much fiber, you’d see magazine articles about how to decrease your fiber intake.

A cow’s nervous system needs sodium as much as a human’s. The cow does not need to be fed pure salt. Fortunately, salt appears in many foods, so just from eating grass or whatever, the cow will get enough sodium. As for the calf, its only food source is its mother’s milk, and the calf needs sodium as well. If cow’s milk lacked sodium, the calf would die or at least become very sick. Hence, sodium comes naturally in milk.

Thanks for reading! In next week’s excessively comprehensive guide, I will cover the topic of string theory in its entirety including the parts the physicists haven’t figured out yet! Until then, ciao!

That's terrible! :pissed:

fancy being forced to drink something like milk that is known to be bad for you and is also full of pus, antibiotics and steroids. That can't be right to give to a young child.

A baby gets human breast milk. After that milk is no longer neccessary. Certainly not milk from a differant species.

It isn't just vegan bias. A non vegan cancer charity is advising people to give up dairy products to help prevent cancer.

That's life, it's US system.

If children are lacking to drink traditional milk then would be result in bone issue, such as rickets

Soy milk and rice milk isn't good so enough as traditional milk, that's according on nutrient.

This was on the front label of the milk I bought tonight:

Publix All Natural Whole Grade A Milk
Vitamin D Added
FROM COWS NOT TREATED WITH rbST (ARTIFICIAL HORMONE)

Back label:

INGREDIENTS: GRADE A MILK, VITAMIN D3.

Nutrition Facts
Total Fat 8 g 12 % DV
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 35 mg 11%
Sodium 120 mg 5%
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 30%
Iron 0%
Vitamin D 25%
Phosphorus 25%
Potassium 400mg 11%
Total Carb. 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 11g
Protein 8g

What? Am I "forbidden" from posting if I don't care about or accept your view?

Hmm, that sounds familiar...

If you don't care but why continue post then? I simple suggest you to don't post if you are not interesting. :dunno:

That's because we have different laws. America requires all those nutrients be listed even if there are ZERO g or ZERO percentages in the product. That's so the American consumer can be better informed.

Yes, it's same here in Germany. They are obligate to add (written) something on the label because the people has the right to know what they add ingredient and also list of natural vitamins, soduim, etc., too.

You accused American dairies of adding sodium to their milk. That is FALSE. If they add anything to milk they must list it under "INGREDIENTS". Sodium is not listed under milk ingredients. Therefore, no sodium is added.

You kept on claim that it's natural because it add/written on the label under Nutrition Facts, not ingredients. Okay... I have a next question for you.

Now I am asking you a simple question:

Why they have more sugar and soduim in US Nutrition Facts than German Nutrition Facts? Where it come from?

I said that sodium is naturally occuring in the milk that comes from the cow. It's naturally in all milk, everywhere around the world.

I repeat my question:

Why they have more sugar and soduim in US Nutrition Facts than German Nutrition Facts?

"Ingredient" on the package list means everything that is in the package. If the package contains just an apple, then the "ingredient" is an apple. It doesn't mean it's an additive. It just includes everything that's in the box, bag, or can.

I only copied what the milk, written. I look for "Ingredient" after finish typed list under Nutrition Facts - none because it's not necassary to print "Ingredient" and then add milk which it already print "MILK" on the front of bottle or packet... If something to add in milk then they have to print "ingredient" then write what they add to if it's not just milk.

I brought oalmeal to mix with dried fruits, yoghurt with me for lunch. I copied what my oatmeal written: (accord your wish for add the list yesterday... I am trying to search the link to show you... if not, then scan the label of milk and other foods when my machine is here). (my machine is still at repair).

The list under oatmeal Nutrition Facts pro 100 g.

Calories - 366
Protein - 12,5 g
carbs - 63,3 g
from sugar - 0,7 g
Fat - 7,0 g
Saturated fatty acids - 1,3 g
Dietary Fiber - 5,4 g
Soduim - 0,005g

Vitamins and Minerals

Vitamine B1 - 0,6 mg
Niacin - 4,2 mg
Iron - 4,6 mg
Zinc - 4,4 mg
Phosphor - 391 mg

I looking for Ingredient either they add or not... NONE... which mean is just oatmeal what the front of packet written.

The list under mixed dried fruits Nutrition Facts pro 100 g.

Calories - 275
Protein - 2,0 g
Carbs - 65,5 g
from sugar - 44,1 g
Fat - 0,5 g
Saturated fatty acids - 0,25 g
Dietary Fiber - 8,3 g
Soduim - 0,032 g

Ingredient:

Apricot
Pear
Plum