Lactose intolerance

Well I am for REAL dairy products, with no chemical added.

I was like wow when I read back of milk label when I was in USA. They add soduim in milk... :eek3:

Here in Germany, no.

I was like wow when I read back of milk label when I was in USA. They add soduim in milk... :eek3:
That's weird. The milk that we buy doesn't have sodium added. I just checked the label.

Here in Germany, no.

Yeah some milk do, not all. I know cottage chesse do have sodium/salt inside them.

I was like wow when I read back of milk label when I was in USA. They add soduim in milk...

Sodium chloride, NaCl ? it's just salt....
023.gif

Fuzzy

That's weird. The milk that we buy doesn't have sodium added. I just checked the label.

Unfortunlately yes, I re-read those label of skim milk with fat-free... and cannot beleive when I re-read it.

Nutritional Values
Skim Milk
Serving Size: 8 oz
Calories: 86
Fat: <1 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Carbohydrate: 12 g
Protein: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 103 mg
Vitamin A: 500 IU
Vitamin B12: 1 mcg
Niacin: <1 mg
Pantothenic Acid: 1 mg Riboflavin: <1 mg
Vitamin D: 3 mcg
Calcium: 302 mg
Phosphorus: 247 mg
Potassium: 382 mg

Howstuffworks "Natural Weight-Loss Food: A Profile of Skim Milk"

I can see many favor added in milk which here in Germany on but just % fat (we have 1,5%, 3,5% and 3,8 % fat) and Protein. That´s all.

Yeah some milk do, not all. I know cottage chesse do have sodium/salt inside them.

Yes we do have salt in cottage cheese but not sodium. There´re many different cottage cheeses here in Germany... I choose salt over soduim. I am cottage cheese lover... I use to buy cottage cheese including soduim, now no more... but just salt.

I do eat some soduim but I have to limit it. (like bread, etc.)

Remember that sodium and salt are not the same thing.

It explains in my thread.

http://www.alldeaf.com/general-health/24553-tips-reducing-sodium-your-diet.html

Yes we do have salt in cottage cheese but not sodium. There´re many different cottage cheeses here in Germany... I choose salt over soduim. I am cottage cheese lover... I use to buy cottage cheese including soduim, now no more... but just salt.

Remember that sodium and salt are not the same thing.

It explains in my thread.

Lactaid does have sodium added, just salt to make taste so better.

Liebling- why not find out FIRST what kind of Sodium is used in milk.
Because I am pretty sure it is just common salt, for taste.
It may be also baking soda, yes but it's unlikely.

Do you know chemical name for salt, anyway?

Salt we eat is a mixture of TWO indgredients - Sodium and Chloride.

Together, they make salt.
If the article says to reduce "sodium and salt" it simply means reduce sodium from Sodium Chloride. By reducing salt intake, you reduce sodium as well.

You can also get Sodium from Baking Soda- Sodium Bicarbonate.
But I doubt it's been used in milk - it's in baking goods, mostly, as the name implies.

see here:

Sodium

"""These products contain sodium compounds"""

These compounds is usually just common salt - Na + Cl.

Fuzzy

Excuse me, Audiofuzzy. I CAN read back of label and know what it written.

I know a lot about Sodium because I visited healthy school and also conference, spa, etc as well.

Anyway, thank you for link. I appreciate it very much but I already created a thread about Soduim last year. I would suggest you to read those thread, I created about Soduim.

and check my quoted post toward Reba #25.

How many soduim you eat a day... if it´s not just skim milk...? That´s why I am for fresh foods and drink with low soduim or no soduim. Fresh butter with no salt....

Unfortunlately yes, I re-read those label of skim milk with fat-free... and cannot beleive when I re-read it.

Nutritional Values
Skim Milk
Serving Size: 8 oz
Calories: 86
Fat: <1 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Carbohydrate: 12 g
Protein: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 103 mg
Vitamin A: 500 IU
Vitamin B12: 1 mcg
Niacin: <1 mg
Pantothenic Acid: 1 mg Riboflavin: <1 mg
Vitamin D: 3 mcg
Calcium: 302 mg
Phosphorus: 247 mg
Potassium: 382 mg

Howstuffworks "Natural Weight-Loss Food: A Profile of Skim Milk"

I can see many favor added in milk which here in Germany on but just % fat (we have 1,5%, 3,5% and 3,8 % fat) and Protein. That´s all.
That just a list of the nutritional values of the milk. That's not a list of ingredients. The sodium was not added; it naturally occurs in cow milk.

Calories, Fat & Carbohydrates in
Milk: Cow, Fat-Free, Skim
Average All Brands
Serving Size: 8.6 oz.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 91
(Kilojoules 379)
% DV**
Total Fat 0.6 g 1%
Sat. Fat 0.4 g 2%
Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 130 mg 5%
Total Carbs. 12.3 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 12.3 g
Protein 8.7 g
Calcium 316.1 mg
Potassium 419 mg

CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Calories in Milk: Cow, Fat-Free, Skim

As you can see on this list for raw, fresh broccoli, it also has sodium, naturally occurring. It's not always an added ingredient. It just occurs naturally.

Vegetables, Fresh: Broccoli, raw, edible portion *
Average All Brands
Serving Size: one 5-inch spear

Nutrition Facts
Calories 11
(Kilojoules 44)
% DV**
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Sat. Fat 0.0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 10 mg 0%
Total Carbs. 2.1 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g 3%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 0.9 g
Calcium 14.6 mg
Potassium 98.0 mg

Milk: The Mini Meal

Is milk a food or a drink? Even though it is liquid, that question is something many dairy experts still can't agree on! Milk is very nutritious - it is like a powerhouse of energy, vitamins and minerals. No other natural drink is like it. Because it's quick to drink, it makes the perfect snack on the go, at morning tea, afternoon tea, lunch or after school. In fact any time you need filling up but don't have much time! Dairy products made from milk are also nutritious for your body.

Why is milk so full of nutrients? Basically, milk is the first food a baby mammal has. . . the milk which comes after colostrum, is also rich in vitamins and minerals. It is almost a complete food. So what's in milk? Well, 87% of milk is actually water and 13% is solids. These solids are made up of: protein, fat, carbohydrate and other solids. The proportion of these vary as different feeds, breeds and seasons will affect them. Milk contains many vitamins: A (now called retinol), B (including riboflavin, niacin and thiamine), C, D, E and K, which are all essential for good health.

Milk also contains many minerals: calcium and phosphorus are two of the most important ones, but potassium, sodium, sulphur, chlorine, iron and magnesium are others. Milk is the best source of calcium for humans. Calcium builds healthy bones and teeth, so it is very important for growing children. Calcium can help to stop your bones becoming brittle in old age, so you need to make sure you start having enough now! . . . You need about 3 serves of dairy products a day (some people need more). Milk also contains a carbohydrate (lactose) and fats. These are both sources of energy, but milk fat is a concentrated source and contains twice as much energy as carbohydrate. You use energy to do things, but children also need energy just to grow. Milk fats are very simple and easily digested. They also hold some very important vitamins (A, D, E and K).

Milk has 3 main proteins which are not found in other foods: casein, lactoglobulin and lactalbumin. . . . Proteins are made up of lots of 'building blocks' called amino acids. Humans need many types of these amino acids, but our bodies can't make them all. Milk contains all of the essential ones, so is an important source of the ones our bodies can't make. Proteins build all the growing parts of our bodies: muscles, nerves, skin and hair, so without them, your muscles wouldn't be as strong, your nerves as quick or your hair as shiny! Casein also helps to protect teeth against dental decay . . .

To get the same amount of calcium as you do from one glass of milk, you would have to eat 1 kilogram of broccoli or 18 cups of chopped spinach or 2 cups of white sesame seeds.

Milk: The Mini Meal

Liebling- why not find out FIRST what kind of Sodium is used in milk.

I do read. :)

I don´t have soduim in milk here in Germany but just % fat, protein and how many calories.

Because I am pretty sure it is just common salt, for taste.
It may be also baking soda, yes but it's unlikely.

Yes it written soduim that´s why I don´t sprinkle salt when I bake the cake or cookies.

Do you know chemical names for salt, anyway?

There´re many chemcial name for salt.

As you can see on this list for raw, fresh broccoli, it also has sodium, naturally occurring. It's not always an added ingredient. It just occurs naturally.

Vegetables, Fresh: Broccoli, raw, edible portion *
Average All Brands
Serving Size: one 5-inch spear

Nutrition Facts
Calories 11
(Kilojoules 44)
% DV**
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Sat. Fat 0.0 g 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 10 mg 0%
Total Carbs. 2.1 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g 3%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 0.9 g
Calcium 14.6 mg
Potassium 98.0 mg

Interesting, we don´t have any soduim in fresh and organic vegetables and fruits... or organic meats... because they don´t use chemical spray on them.

We have high to low % soduim or salt in cheese and cream cheese.......

salt or soduim in ham, bacon, processed meats.

No milk.

Yes soduim in any canned...

some salt or soduim in freeze foods... All what I make sure that they don´t have soduim before buy them.

I guess that America and Germany are different.

Last edited:
That just a list of the nutritional values of the milk. That's not a list of ingredients. The sodium was not added; it naturally occurs in cow milk.

Calories, Fat & Carbohydrates in
Milk: Cow, Fat-Free, Skim
Average All Brands
Serving Size: 8.6 oz.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 91
(Kilojoules 379)
% DV**
Total Fat 0.6 g 1%
Sat. Fat 0.4 g 2%
Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 130 mg 5%
Total Carbs. 12.3 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 12.3 g
Protein 8.7 g
Calcium 316.1 mg
Potassium 419 mg

CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Calories in Milk: Cow, Fat-Free, Skim

You said in earlier post that you don´t have sodium in your milk. Now you said here differently :confused:

We don´t have soduim in any milk here in Germany. The label what they added to is obligation because of allergic, the people suffer... that´s why the label is important for us to know what they add to... No soduim in milk.

Back