Knitters Corner

Working down the stash, that's my goal for the winter! ;-)

If Nicky is a woman, I would do a white inset in there too, just for a little sparkle. If a man, maybe a dark red inset, if I can find a yarn that blends well with the heathered denim. Or maybe a pine green.

Well I've been working on my scarf. It's coming along, although I had no idea how much work your hands do. My left hand felt like it had been cutting debone for 8 hours.

That is probably a sign that you are holding the hook too tightly. Are you using the thumb rest?

I've been working on (and just finished) a gold shawl for the holiday season. Probably did about 4 hours in total. And my hands feel just fine, not stressed at all.

(I'll post a pic of this wrap later today.)

This is not true for me with knitting, though. When I knit, my left hand tends to cramp up some.

Anyway, if your hands feel quite sore, you might need to loosen that death-grip a bit. When you scoop the hook to pick up the yarn, it should be a very small, natural motion. So the inset of the hook needs to be facing down or perhaps sideways, and it will be very easy to carry the yarn through.

I may get back into crochet and see how it works with my hand issues. Previously, I kept dropping the hook and had all kinds of problems. With knitting, it is mostly relaxing, but I have to keep an eye on what I am doing whereas my mother can watch the TV and knit without watching unless it is a pattern that needs supervision.

Mom is not knitting quite as much as she used to due to age and dementia. he used to get a sweater or pullover a week and then an afghan every other week. Now, it takes her 2 months to get a pullover done. It took her 4 months to get her skirt done and that includes 2 times that she took it all apart and had to start fresh.

I tend to make total scrappy afghans with all the little balls of yarn we have left. Some balls are larger than others and we can do all kinds of things. I gave 3 away in Missouri that were queen size and we did blocks with different patterns. If the balls were too small to get a block done, we just did a stockingnet or garter stitch block with multiple colors.

Kristina, there are a variety of crochet hooks available now with improved grips for arthritic hands. There are some types of grips that you can move from one hook to another, or there are types where the grip is an integral part of the hook. You might want to look into something like that.

Example:

Eleggant Hooks Ergonomic Crochet Hook Set / Kit ~ Handle with 6 interchangeable hooks. Comfortable!

If you google "crochet hook for arthritic hands" various things will come up that might be useful for you.

Kristina, there are a variety of crochet hooks available now with improved grips for arthritic hands. There are some types of grips that you can move from one hook to another, or there are types where the grip is an integral part of the hook. You might want to look into something like that.

Example:

Eleggant Hooks Ergonomic Crochet Hook Set / Kit ~ Handle with 6 interchangeable hooks. Comfortable!

If you google "crochet hook for arthritic hands" various things will come up that might be useful for you.

Wish it was arthritic hands, but it's not. My right hand goes numb from the neuropathy and carpal tunnel.

I will be getting some gloves like Jillio mentioned and I have a cushion grip that goes on all the crochet hooks we have. Good thing with that is that I have the grip in multiple sizes so I can use the tiny hooks as well as the mid range and larger ones.

Probably I am holding it too tightly, but then I am making my crochets tightly, not intentionally. If I make them loose, the yarn keeps popping off the hook, but of I put tension on it the crochets are tight and I have to work the yarn in between the yarn. If it wasn't for today's hypoglycemic episode (yeah I passed out this morning despite eating breakfast) I probably would have it about halfway done. I expected this to take a while given I am new to this.

Nicky, are you a man or a woman? Would you like a beanie-style hat, long enough to cover the ears, made out of an acrylic/wool blend yarn in a color called "heathered denim?" I've got some left over from a scarf and hat project I made for my husband. I think there's enough for one more hat in there.

I am a woman despite the spelling of my name. That would no AWESOME. Feel free to send me a message, and I can pay for it. I am VERY excited. Thank you sooooooooooo much :).

and yes, I do sell my work.

Feel free to pm me. I do patterns and special designs by request. Say, if you like iquanas for instance... lol

Working down the stash, that's my goal for the winter! ;-)

If Nicky is a woman, I would do a white inset in there too, just for a little sparkle. If a man, maybe a dark red inset, if I can find a yarn that blends well with the heathered denim. Or maybe a pine green.
I see you are in Norther Virginia in the winter. I am in Lake Anna. My folks live in Northern Va. Maybe we could meet this winter :)

... The goOd thing about crochet is if my hook comes off i can just stick it back in the chain and continue on or if I mess up, I can unravel it back to where I messed up....
That's why I switched from knitting to crochet. :lol:

I started out with knitting (in the 60's, my grandmother taught me). Now, I prefer to crochet. I admit though, that knitting seems to have the better patterns and designs available. It's just easier for me to crochet. :)

We need an AD meet up for knitters and crocheters! :D

Need hats for my photography

Hi everyone, I am so glad I found this post. I am a photographer in need of some cute knitted or crocheted hats for props. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making some for me, and allowing me to use them in my photos in exchange for free advertising of your creations when I preview the pictures on facebook and our website. Let me know, email me at cowgirlanne82@yahoo.com or PM me.

Heck, I'd dig out my crochet needle if that happened!

Oh, I just realized... can't sign and knit/crochet at the same time. :(

LOL! Being a new signer, I guess I'd be better off with one or the other.

Back