Knitters Corner

We go through culture shock every fall when we come back here after a summer at the Outer Banks! Yuck... I hate the traffic. Takes a while to readjust.

Back to knitting: for those interested in making a really giant blanket, try this:

knitting / giant knitting

What do you think would be best for my 11y/o daughter to start knitting, or crochet? She wants to learn. I am hoping there is a video I can get her because I can't help her. I will get her everything she will need for Christmas :)! She really enjoyed looking at all your beautiful pieces of work. She is more crafty then I am.

I started with crochet as a kid... it was pretty easy to start create something tangible. Of course, I was into all kinds of crafty things! ;)

As a teen, I crocheted place mats, a striped afghan, ponchos, shawls, a necktie, granny-square vests and afghans, and a slide rule case. As a young adult, I made baby things for my daughter. Most recently, I've crocheted fingerless gloves for keyboarding.

http://www.alldeaf.com/1959384-post42.html

I've done a little Tunisian crochet. Interesting technique. It makes a very tight, dense fabric. My little experiments were just dishcloths and a larger table mat; haven't tried anything more ambitious than that in Tunisian.

Nicky, your daughter might enjoy both knitting and crocheting. I started with knitting and eventually moved on to crochet; plenty of people have done the reverse. Look at so many of us here who do both.

Do you have a Michael's craft store near you? They offer classes, I think. Hobby Lobby too, if you have one of those. Also ask at a local yarn store; they often have good resources. Is Richmond too far for you to go?

There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube which are very helpful, but there's nothing like having a real live person show how it's done.

I've done a little Tunisian crochet. Interesting technique. It makes a very tight, dense fabric. My little experiments were just dishcloths and a larger table mat; haven't tried anything more ambitious than that in Tunisian.

Nicky, your daughter might enjoy both knitting and crocheting. I started with knitting and eventually moved on to crochet; plenty of people have done the reverse. Look at so many of us here who do both.

Do you have a Michael's craft store near you? They offer classes, I think. Hobby Lobby too, if you have one of those. Also ask at a local yarn store; they often have good resources. Is Richmond too far for you to go?

There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube which are very helpful, but there's nothing like having a real live person show how it's done.
Thanks! We have both stores, and Joann's. I will check them all out. I forget about Youtube. No Richmond is only 45 minutes the same as Fredericksburg. You are right about the real live person. We both do well hands on. My son can watch something, and then can do it. I can only in my dreams!

tunisian is lovely, fast, has the versatility and ease of crochet and the feel of knit

Yes you can. It is a technique called croknit. It's a double edged crochet hook and two yarn balls. You never turn your work.

How would that free up my hands to sign? We'll have to invent a crochet hook you use in your mouth so I can "gab" with my hands, LOL! :giggle:

Don't laugh, this is what I have so far.

I didn't use any specific pattern or stitch or whatever for this. I'm just upset that I can't make a simple little square. How do you keep your edges straight???

385255_10150903790810456_847445455_21557797_1159141191_a.jpg

Don't laugh, this is what I have so far.

I didn't use any specific pattern or stitch or whatever for this. I'm just upset that I can't make a simple little square. How do you keep your edges straight???

385255_10150903790810456_847445455_21557797_1159141191_a.jpg

Sew the sides together and it's an elf hat!

You are doing well Dixie! It just takes practice to relax. Count your stitches and be sure that you have worked them all. I like your colors!

Sew the sides together and it's an elf hat!

Botts, you have a way of seeing things. If I can by chance make another of these to sew to this then I might have a hat just big enough to fit my DD's head! She already wants the first scarf I make - if I ever make one. I wish I had the talent to make nice little trio sets of matching scarf, hat, and gloves. That would be kinda cool. But, alas, that is far beyond my league.

But is she left handed like me? (I have to be the different one apparently!)

Holding the needle is different, yes. Holes in work the same. lol

Heck, I'd use that as a colorful table-mat under a potted plant or something. Love the colors and it's a pretty good size, no?

What you did was you were not stitching into every stitch on every row. It is VERY easy when you are first learning to miss the final stitch. Do that often enough, and you'll get a triangle, as you learned. So now you know - that's worth learning, right?

I sent you a PM with some ideas. Really, think of what you've learned from Saturday to today, and you've got a piece that you can use for something - elf hat, table mat, or even (urp!) rip out and try again!

Any of these crafts include both mental and physical skills. At first it can seem overwhelming, but before you know it, it will feel very natural. Really, I promise you, it will.

Back