Knitters Corner

I'm still frustrated. -.-

If you're really frustrated, take a break, flex your hands, make yourself a nice cup of tea. Then start again.

Once you get it, it will be an "a-HA!" moment and all of a sudden it will all be clear.

Here is a good basic pattern, using 5 oz. of yarn, and a size I hook (5.5 mm).

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbegscarf.htm

And as in many things, you have to be willing to turn out some crap before you figure out what you're doing.

Well I've got the chain going again so I decided I would just practice doing that, getting the chain going and keeping it going, so now I've got this really long chain I'm doing just for practice. I'm not even counting the stitches, loops, V's, chains, whatchamacallsits. I'm taking a break, having a cup of coffee and I'm going to try to find a way to make a damn single crochet. If my friend that does this stuff didn't live so far away, I would meet up with her to see if she could show me what I'm doing wrong.

And as in many things, you have to be willing to turn out some crap before you figure out what you're doing.

You're telling this to a perfectionist? :shock:

That's great that you've got the long chain going! The motions of the single crochet are much the same thing, so you're already getting the muscle memory into your hands.

Left-Handed Crochet - Crochet Instructions and Resources for Left-Handed People

How to crochet left-handed.

This left-handed site cleared it up for me. I have finally done one length of single crochets on my chain. Now I am taking a break, I'll figure out how to turn it around and go back down the line. I guess I can keep going back and forth until I get it to the desired size, yes?

A lefty? That makes me think of my then-husband's niece, a lefty want me to teach to crochet. I got confused when I attempted to do this with left hand. My then-husband told me to teach HIM to crochet as he is a lefty as well. He then showed her how it is done.

Crochet look so hard! Only one hook? Two needles, five DPNs, circular needles makebsense. One hook, not so much.

This left-handed site cleared it up for me. I have finally done one length of single crochets on my chain. Now I am taking a break, I'll figure out how to turn it around and go back down the line. I guess I can keep going back and forth until I get it to the desired size, yes?

Yay for you!! Knew you could do it.

To turn around: after you make the final stitch, chain 1, and turn. Above I said clockwise, but if you're a lefty, probably counterclockwise. The important thing is to always turn the same way, every row.

How long is your chain? With 5.5 hooks, you should probably have a scarf width of about 17 chains. Did you click on the pattern I gave above, for a simple sc scarf? You could follow that pattern for width.

For length, sure, just keep going until it's the length you want. Could be fairly short if you wear your scarfs overlapped (like an ascot) in front, or much longer if you want that. If you want a long scarf to wrap around your neck, rule of thumb is to make it as long as you are tall.

I rarely make scarves quite that long myself. It's just individual preference.

Crochet look so hard! Only one hook? Two needles, five DPNs, circular needles makebsense. One hook, not so much.

Crochet is much easier than knitting, in my opinion, and I generally like the stitch patterns better. You can go dense or lacey, very easily.

For crochet, all you're doing is wrapping your yarn around the hook one or more times, and pulling yarn through a loop, over and over again. Couldn't be easier.

Yeah, and people are going to think I have gone absolutely nuts for doing this. I used to poke fun at people that did stuff like this. I called granny knitting. Now I'm doing it. I admit its more complex than it looks, but I'm not sure about the knitting. I admit though you can have more variety in designs with more complexity in knitting than you do with crocheting though seems like.

I looked at some double knit - OMG I had no idea so much work went into that stuff. Just the instructions were :dizzy: And you have to use small fine yarn. :shock: Those poor chinese kids being forced to knit 18 hours a day for little or no pay.

Yeah, and people are going to think I have gone absolutely nuts for doing this. I used to poke fun at people that did stuff like this. I called granny knitting. Now I'm doing it. I admit its more complex than it looks, but I'm not sure about the knitting. I admit though you can have more variety in designs with more complexity in knitting than you do with crocheting though seems like.I looked at some double knit - OMG I had no idea so much work went into that stuff. Just the instructions were :dizzy: And you have to use small fine yarn. :shock: Those poor chinese kids being forced to knit 18 hours a day for little or no pay.

Hmmm.... I don't think I'd agree with you on that. You can have plenty of complexity in design with crocheting. Try looking at patterns for filet crochet, or any work done with the small steel hooks. You use very thin thread for that. Look at Clunes lace patterns for some ideas of complex patterns.

It's all personal preference, of course, but there is plenty you can do with crochet if you want to do intricate designs.

My Italian grandmother crocheted, and I'm proud to have some of her work. She did tiny, intricate filet crochet patterns for table mats and that sort of thing. She was past 90 when she died and nearly blind, and she was still crocheting almost right up until the end. You never saw her hands empty - there was either a Rosary or a crochet hook in them more often than not, whenever she was "resting."

You all impress me. I can't knit, or crochet. I love handmade socks, and hats though. I have asked my friend for 3you years to knot a hat for my little bald head. She doesn't think she is good enough. Talk about perfectionist! Keep up the great work ladies! Any of you sell you beautiful work?

You all impress me. I can't knit, or crochet. I love handmade socks, and hats though. I have asked my friend for 3you years to knot a hat for my little bald head. She doesn't think she is good enough. Talk about perfectionist! Keep up the great work ladies! Any of you sell you beautiful work?

Ask LDNanna.

Nicky, are you a man or a woman? Would you like a beanie-style hat, long enough to cover the ears, made out of an acrylic/wool blend yarn in a color called "heathered denim?" I've got some left over from a scarf and hat project I made for my husband. I think there's enough for one more hat in there.

^^^Awww, that's so nice, Beach girl!!!

Back