Just missed accidents without hearing aids on

My dad got a phone call from a friend of his saying he saw me down town with my babysitter . I was four years old and it was a 2 miles walk one way! My dad friend said it is too long a walk for a little girl. My dad told my babysitter not to take for a walk down town anymore! Will the bitch did not listen to dad.[ I did not get my first HA until I was 7 years old.] The sidewalks downtown where very narrow and my babysitter was big and so was her girlfriend so I had very little room to walk on the sidewalk and I was half in the street! I did not hear the car and was run over on my left leg and knocked out cold! I remember waking up in the back seat of my dad car in his lap with this huge cast on my leg! If I had a HA I might had heard the car and tried to get out of the way. The babysitter came back to my house and asked dad to pay her! Dad refused to and called the cops. The cops told my dad to pay her and get her out of your life!

Then I when I a little older we had toy box and the top was solid wood and I was looking for my favorite toy while my older sister held the top open. She told me it was getting too heavy , but I did not hear her and she dropped the top on my middle finger! We had lived in nanny and she yelled out to my parents that I had lost my finger! The doctor said she was right , I almost
lost the top of 2 fingers! I guess you would not call there just missed accidents!

I don't wear HAs or CIs...almost hit by cars many times. Once in Australia was very close, car coming wrong side (for me), look wrong way...almost hit! Very scary.

I'm hearing, and have been hit by a car. I don't think it has a lot to do with hearing status.:giggle:

I'm hearing, and have been hit by a car. I don't think it has a lot to do with hearing status.:giggle:

True. My mom didn't see when the ambulance came close and hit her because she was too busy listening to the music. Thank god. She's OK! She came home and told me about it. She wanted me to know about the hearing status. How sweet of her!

0016.gif

I agree it has nothing to do with hearing status. Maybe Lucky for them to hear but not totally reliable. using eyes is wise to check out.

True. My mom didn't see when the ambulance came close and hit her because she was too busy listening to the music. Thank god. She's OK! She came home and told me about it. She wanted me to know about the hearing status. How sweet of her!

0016.gif

I agree it has nothing to do with hearing status. Maybe Lucky for them to hear but not totally reliable. using eyes is wise to check out.

Yes. It kind of goes back to the old argument that having a CI makes a deaf person safer. Or the argument we have seen so many times about the deaf beauty pagent winner that was hit by a train. People tried to say it was because she was deaf. No. It was because she made a poor decision to walk on the railroad tracks.

I bet if I had a HA I would had been more aware of a car about to run me over!
People thought I was HOH from the accident for years.

Yes. It kind of goes back to the old argument that having a CI makes a deaf person safer. Or the argument we have seen so many times about the deaf beauty pagent winner that was hit by a train. People tried to say it was because she was deaf. No. It was because she made a poor decision to walk on the railroad tracks.

I remember. That is ridicilous

I was hit by a car when i was 6 years old. I was brought to the hospital. The next day, the hearing girl was hit by a car too and she was one year older than I am. She came into the same room as I was. We were roommies.

I don't rely on listening but my eyes to see everything where I go. Maybe you may try to use your eyes at little more. It isn't that hard. I always check to see if the sink is vibrating or not before putting my hands in the garbage disposal. Thanks for sharing...

Yes, they are either trying to use it as an excuse for CI/HA or tend to think deafness first if the Deaf person made a stupid mistake.

I can easily dig in the news online and find some hearing people who got run over. Like I found two hearing people were so engrossing in talking and they didn't see the truck. It is all about poor choices or stupid mistakes, not the status of hearing. Anything about the Deaf person getting run over will make ino the news while the hearing person getting run over might not make into the news at all. It is just like that and I don't like it.

One of the dumbest thing I ever did was to not to look behind me while i was riding my bike. I turned off my HA cuz I was getting headachy. I figured that hardly anyone drove on that road so there was no need to look behind me or so I thought. Next thing I know, I'm in the hopistial with a bad concussion.

Oh my! I didn't realize that car accidents were so common.

@ sunny_signs's sister, Bottesini, whatdidyousay, jillio, Frisky Feline, Frisky Feline's mom, deafskeptic

Like Steinhauer's wife, I hope that you all had a complete and quick recovery!

A few years ago I volunteered at my city’s ASPCA shelter for about a year. A few of my friends with pets had moved away and this was my way of dealing with a sudden loss of cuddly pets in my life.

One of the things I volunteered to do was walk the dogs. Before any volunteers can do that, they have to be “trained” by another ASPCA volunteer. Yep, you read that right. I guess its their way of weeding out the crazies before they have a chance to do anything that would get the shelter into trouble.

Anyway, a bunch of us were all in the park taking turns walking this big lovable dog. There were a lot of bicyclists, roller skaters and skate boarders around and I was making the head volunteer nervous because I wasn’t showing any signs of hearing them.

I never have had a problem in the park, but his attitude got to me so I ordered a rear view mirror that attached to my eye glasses. I had learned about them from an avid bicyclist at work, who, FWIW heard very well. There are lots of brands and I think the average price is about $20.00

Anyway, I got them and I used them exactly once. But they exist and are easy to use so I just thought I'd post about them in case it interests anyone.

Oh my! I didn't realize that car accidents were so common.

@ sunny_signs's sister, Bottesini, whatdidyousay, jillio, Frisky Feline, Frisky Feline's mom, deafskeptic

Like Steinhauer's wife, I hope that you all had a complete and quick recovery!

I barely tapped her. She make a big fuss but she just being drama! Hehe.

Were they still on AFTER being hit? :eek3:

my car was t boned by a teenager driver and the impact was so hard both my HA got knock of my ears! When I came through , I was knocked cold for awhile,
I did not know why I was having a hard time hearing!

Reading these posts is really an eye opener for me, as I wasn't exactly one to quickly admit that I needed my hearing tested. I used to be a professional horseback rider (teaching kids, riding other people's horses, etc.) and I can't say how many times I've missed someone say "heads up!" due to having to try to focus in on background noises instead and listening to students instead. Therefore, I've had my fair share of times where I've almost been (or have been!) run over by horses.

I hope that you weren't hurt.

Just a concussion. Happened the evening before my 12th birthday. I was crossing the street and a guy made an illegal left hand turn. I saw him coming but could not get out of the way fast enough.

Just a concussion. Happened the evening before my 12th birthday. I was crossing the street and a guy made an illegal left hand turn. I saw him coming but could not get out of the way fast enough.

I'm glad there were no lasting damage to you.

Back