Just missed accidents without hearing aids on

Wirelessly posted

VamPyroX said:
I've learned not to depend on my hearing aid too much.

If I take off with out my hearing aids and it's not part of work, then I don't worry about it.

With or without my hearing aid, I try to be more alert of my surroundings... looking around, looking in the mirror, checking my sides or behind me while driving/walking, etc.

Something every driver Deaf or Hearing should do. Be always alert.

She was in an ankle boot for 2 months - luckily no bones were broken. I have attached a wifi rearview camera to the truck - its just too dangerous to be backing up and not able to see what is behind it.

It absolutely tore me up. While we were waiting for the ambulance, she was having to comfort me because I lost it when I saw her.

Your wife is really lucky. A policeman just got hit by a Ford F350 here while directing traffic. He is in critical condition in the University hospital.

Several times happened to me when I don't wear ha's on, I tend to forget to turn off water. I got a habit always depending on listen many times before, but now I didn't think w/o ha's I didn't listen running water thought that I did turn off becos of no sound.

I backed over my wife with a Ford F 350. Worst day of my life. She is fine, but I am not (this happened 4 months ago). I warned her that I would be backing the truck out of the driveway and cannot see anything behind it - so I did not see her walking behind the truck or even understand why she would be there in the first place.

The truck sounds like a tank, but my wife is completely deaf and could not hear it. It is also a box truck, and luckily for me, I had my hearing aids in and heard her scream for me to stop. If I had not had my hearing aids in, I would have run over her.

Ohhhh how frightening that must have been! Got goosebumps reading this.

^ That. Also, just like there is defensive driving there is defensive moving. I made up that expression because I don't know how else to describe it.

When I walk on sidewalks and on paths in the park, I stay to the edge on the right so if someone I can't hear needs to pass me they can. If I need to pass someone I look behind me first to make sure I'm not going to knock into someone.

When I was first on my own I noticed that I kept making people angry in the grocery stores. So I thought about it and made some changes. I started keeping to the edge of the aisle and, if I stopped to look over some new brands or types of foods, would look around every so often to see if anyone was nearby. It worked. I generally don't leave a trail of angry people behind me in stores anymore, and I haven't for a long time.

I feel very strongly about this. I don't believe that D/d/HoH people are more accident prone. Its all about being observant and picking up good habits. And if you make a mistake, learn from it.

When I was a teen ager I didn't turn off a faucet. Once. When I first started living on my own I turned on the kitchen sink and found out that the apartment building's water had been turned off. I didn't think about turning my faucet off though. Disaster issued later when the building's water was turned back on and I didn't hear it. But both those things only happened once.

There are a lot of hearing people out there with stupid attitudes and beliefs. D/d/HoH people shouldn't:

• live alone
  • travel alone, or even together if everyone traveling is D/d/HoH
  • drive *

I've had co-workers express shock when they found out that I drive on vacations. (I live in NYC and its too hard to own a car where I live, so that's why the subject of driving doesn't come up more often.) I had a manager tell me before I want on a camping trip where everyone would be either d or HoH that it "sounded dangerous." I mean, really?

I know that it can be tough being D/d/HoH in a world where the majority is hearing and that a major reason we are here is to validate our feelings. But I feel really strongly about this particular topic. D/d/HoH are not more accident prone than any other groups of people.

Many hearies have stupid opinions about us, there's no reason to give them any ammunition! /mini-rant over

* According to the author Henry Kisor of the book, What's That Pig Outdoors -- insurance companies use to charge deaf people lower car insurance premiums because their driving records were so much better than hearing drivers.

But the companies had to stop this practice after the 1950s because this kind of price discrimination became illegal.

I agree with you on all counts.

In May, when I flew to Arizona all by myself, one passenger started talking to me and I told her that I need her to face me so I can read her lips. I refrained from saying my usual "I am deaf...blah blah.." So she said, "Are you heairing impaired?" (oh boy..that terminology but I didnt hold it against her). So, I said, "Yes, I am deaf but not hearing impaired." She was like "Wow, you can travel alone?"

WTF?!

I flew so many times alone and so many time with just my daughter when she was a toddler.

When I fly by myself I pre-board as to tell the flight attendant I am deaf since I have NO clue what they are saying over the intercoms etc...I've never had a problem. I also helped an older lady pre-board once too since she was in a wheelchair and no one was helping her when she had asked twice for help by an attendant and was told to wait...
I have left the faucet running a few times no floods tho and I have been almost hit by cars numerous times..I've also been pushed out of the way on purpose because apparently the girl said excuse me and I didn't move so she thought it was a better Idea to push..I told her unless she wanted to keep her ponytail in place she better apologize and maybe use her eyes next time since my hair was up and hearing aids were in plain sight..they're zebra print for god sake..

Oh how I forget this!!! My sister need ride one time go see friend new baby in hospital. I drive her, she get out, I back up go home...right into her! Lucky only moving slow! Sister not hurt.

Your wife is really lucky. A policeman just got hit by a Ford F350 here while directing traffic. He is in critical condition in the University hospital.

I was in critical condition after I found out I ran over her. I have never felt the emotions I felt that day before in my life.

I was in critical condition after I found out I ran over her. I have never felt the emotions I felt that day before in my life.

I think I can understand. It must have been a very traumatic experience to nearly run over someone you love so much. Out of curiosity, why was she behind the truck when you warned her not to be there?

I was sleeping at my sister's house and just came out of the shower and was going into the bedroom I was sleeping in and I did not hear my sister's stepdaughter and husband talking in the room!! I was so embarrassed!
I did turn on the garbage disposal by mistake and did not hear as I was not wearing my HA! And I when to turn the water on the faucet was vibrating , I am glad I put my hand in the sink I would lost my hand!!

yeah .... my wife knows about my "spanish mode" :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Fy124VWCY]Pixar: Toy Story 3 - movie clip - Flamenco Buzz Lightyear! (DVD/Blu-Ray promo) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PrhNFU4TU&feature=related]TOY STORY 3: HD Buzz & Jessie Dance - YouTube[/ame]

I think I can understand. It must have been a very traumatic experience to nearly run over someone you love so much. Out of curiosity, why was she behind the truck when you warned her not to be there?

I asked her why she was there. We had company that day, and everyone who was over was deaf. I went in and told all of them at once that I was going to be backing the truck up and to not walk up the driveway as I could only see out the sides and not directly behind the truck. I went out to warm up the truck and apparently, she thought I was waiting for her to make it up to check the mail and I never saw her. She glanced at the truck saw me in it, not realizing I was waiting for the truck to warm up and hadn't seen her.

When I saw the title to this thread, I groaned, because I thought it was making the claim that you need to hear in order to be safe.
Thank goodness we haven't sunk that low. :lol:

When I saw the title to this thread, I groaned, because I thought it was making the claim that you need to hear in order to be safe.
Thank goodness we haven't sunk that low. :lol:

Just realized what the title said... Now I need to say that I had hearing aids on when being hit by a car....

Were they still on AFTER being hit? :eek3:

Yes, actually I have been hit twice. One after leaving home and riding a bike.
I had stopped and put my left foot out to stay upright and a car passing too close ran over my foot. All I got was a broken toe.

The other time I was just brushed by the mirror of a car in a parking lot. Luckily nothing serious.

I try to be much more attentive these days.

Reminds me of the time when I was in college and at the mall. A pickup drove up to me in the parking lot and I didn't hear it in the least. The driver was naked and (unfortunately) jerking off. I'm so glad that went nowhere because I ran into the mall, but it caught me by such surprise because I didn't hear the truck pull up to me at all.

One time when I was eight my mom took me to a pedicure party at a co-workers house. I had my hearing aids in, but I still missed them all telling me to be careful of the tiny step between the living room and the kitchen. I tripped on it and fell so hard on of my hearing aids fell out and slid underneath the fridge and promptly started squealing terribly. We had to wait for the co-workers husband to come home and scoot the fridge to get it.

Back