Just missed accidents without hearing aids on

naturelchick

Reaction score
Has anyone ever forgot the garbage disposal in the mornings when you haven't put your hearing aids in yet? Freaking Scarys I've also almost got hit by a firetruck whipping by... Any near horrible accidents please share here...

I don't wear HAs or CIs...almost hit by cars many times. Once in Australia was very close, car coming wrong side (for me), look wrong way...almost hit! Very scary.

I don't rely on listening but my eyes to see everything where I go. Maybe you may try to use your eyes ta little more. It isn't that hard. I'm glad you're ok.

I've learned not to depend on my hearing aid too much.

If I take off with out my hearing aids and it's not part of work, then I don't worry about it.

With or without my hearing aid, I try to be more alert of my surroundings... looking around, looking in the mirror, checking my sides or behind me while driving/walking, etc.

I always check to see if the sink is vibrating or not before putting my hands in the garbage disposal.

I *was* hit by a car when I was biking a few years ago... had my HA's on, and back then I could hear pretty okay with the HA's. The lady just didn't look, and turned in to me. Luckily, I wasn't badly hurt, but it was scary as hell.

There's been a couple of times where I have come close to getting hit by cars, but the biggest problem I have is when I go walking on the path... Do you know how many times I have come close to being hit by bikers because I don't hear their little bell? When I'm walking with my friends, they have pulled me out of the way many times... or I'll notice my toddler looking behind me, and know to move over.

I always check to see if the sink is vibrating or not before putting my hands in the garbage disposal.

:eek: Such a nightmare!!! But it seems as easy to have these sorts of accidents when there's too much noise, too.

Not that we've had water damage yet, but I know for sure that my daughter has not yet brushed her teeth when I don't find the water running full force in her sink.

:eek: Such a nightmare!!! But it seems as easy to have these sorts of accidents when there's too much noise, too.

Not that we've had water damage yet, but I know for sure that my daughter has not yet brushed her teeth when I don't find the water running full force in her sink.

I mean that I check for vibrations to tell if the disposal is on or off. Hope that clears it up.

As for leaving the water running...that has happened to me and many others. lol

I've left water running, bath fans on, etc too. I now double check everything before leaving the house. (I used to triple and quadruple check, but I got myself past that and only double check if even at all. I think lots of us have done this.)

Once I almost got hit by a tram coming from behind whilst wearing my implant - I don't do well with things behind me, oops should have checked using my eyes first!!!

I have flooded the sinks many times, the most memorable was, the day of my activation just before I went in to be turned on, I went to the bathroom, came out and everybody in waiting room was wondering what the noise was, they went in bathroom and the bathroom was almost flooded!! How embarrassing, the audiologists couldnt be mad at me because I could hardly hear!!

I mean that I check for vibrations to tell if the disposal is on or off. Hope that clears it up.

As for leaving the water running...that has happened to me and many others. lol

:) right, it's not the checking vibration thats a nightmarefor me, it's the reason you do it: so you dont stick your fingers in the grinding mechanism.

Thank God I am a poor person with no garbage disposal? :lol: But yes, I have been hit by a car, and do notice I have left water running, so I guess those are fairly common accidents.

I never had that problem and I don't wear hearing aids cos I use my eyes a lot.

My HOH sister keeps getting close accidents by getting knocked over by cars when she was growing up and wore hearing aids all times. She depends on hearing aids too much and doesn't use her eyes to check the road/car park is clear of moving cars.

I drive people insane in my house with my very loud TV I tend to have it turned up VERY loud lol

I drive people insane in my house with my very loud TV I tend to have it turned up VERY loud lol

Funny, I'm the opposite. I keep my volume very low if not muted - I find the sounds of fake laugh tracks, commercials, etc very irritating and prefer not to hear them at all.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I keep my volume very low if not muted - I find the sounds of fake laugh tracks, commercials, etc very irritating and prefer not to hear them at all.

Whats funny is my roommate will be like "if you have the captions on, then why do you have it so loud" lol its true, I dunno... hahah :giggle:

I backed over my wife with a Ford F 350. Worst day of my life. She is fine, but I am not (this happened 4 months ago). I warned her that I would be backing the truck out of the driveway and cannot see anything behind it - so I did not see her walking behind the truck or even understand why she would be there in the first place.

The truck sounds like a tank, but my wife is completely deaf and could not hear it. It is also a box truck, and luckily for me, I had my hearing aids in and heard her scream for me to stop. If I had not had my hearing aids in, I would have run over her.

I backed over my wife with a Ford F 350. Worst day of my life. She is fine, but I am not (this happened 4 months ago). I warned her that I would be backing the truck out of the driveway and cannot see anything behind it - so I did not see her walking behind the truck or even understand why she would be there in the first place.

The truck sounds like a tank, but my wife is completely deaf and could not hear it. It is also a box truck, and luckily for me, I had my hearing aids in and heard her scream for me to stop. If I had not had my hearing aids in, I would have run over her.

Omg so glad she is okay!!! Hope you are too, I know you must feel badly hopefully you can recover from this as well!

I never had that problem and I don't wear hearing aids cos I use my eyes a lot.

<snip>

^ That. Also, just like there is defensive driving there is defensive moving. I made up that expression because I don't know how else to describe it.

When I walk on sidewalks and on paths in the park, I stay to the edge on the right so if someone I can't hear needs to pass me they can. If I need to pass someone I look behind me first to make sure I'm not going to knock into someone.

When I was first on my own I noticed that I kept making people angry in the grocery stores. So I thought about it and made some changes. I started keeping to the edge of the aisle and, if I stopped to look over some new brands or types of foods, would look around every so often to see if anyone was nearby. It worked. I generally don't leave a trail of angry people behind me in stores anymore, and I haven't for a long time.

I feel very strongly about this. I don't believe that D/d/HoH people are more accident prone. Its all about being observant and picking up good habits. And if you make a mistake, learn from it.

When I was a teen ager I didn't turn off a faucet. Once. When I first started living on my own I turned on the kitchen sink and found out that the apartment building's water had been turned off. I didn't think about turning my faucet off though. Disaster issued later when the building's water was turned back on and I didn't hear it. But both those things only happened once.

There are a lot of hearing people out there with stupid attitudes and beliefs. D/d/HoH people shouldn't:

• live alone
  • travel alone, or even together if everyone traveling is D/d/HoH
  • drive *

I've had co-workers express shock when they found out that I drive on vacations. (I live in NYC and its too hard to own a car where I live, so that's why the subject of driving doesn't come up more often.) I had a manager tell me before I went on a camping trip where everyone would be either d or HoH that it "sounded dangerous." I mean, really?

I know that it can be tough being D/d/HoH in a world where the majority is hearing and that a major reason we are here is to validate our feelings. But I feel really strongly about this particular topic. D/d/HoH are not more accident prone than any other groups of people.

Many hearies have stupid opinions about us, there's no reason to give them any ammunition! /mini-rant over

* According to the author Henry Kisor of the book, What's That Pig Outdoors -- insurance companies use to charge deaf people lower car insurance premiums because their driving records were so much better than hearing drivers.

But the companies had to stop this practice after the 1950s because this kind of price discrimination became illegal.

Last edited:
Omg so glad she is okay!!! Hope you are too, I know you must feel badly hopefully you can recover from this as well!

She was in an ankle boot for 2 months - luckily no bones were broken. I have attached a wifi rearview camera to the truck - its just too dangerous to be backing up and not able to see what is behind it.

It absolutely tore me up. While we were waiting for the ambulance, she was having to comfort me because I lost it when I saw her.

Back