Jury Duty

Have you ever done Jury Duty before?

• Yes, it went ok for me.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Yes, but (/&§?)($/§?)($/?)/!

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No, but I have been summoned in the past.

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • No, I have never been summoned before.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • What the heck is jury duty?

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No comments

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Jury Duty - Day Two

What an interesting day it was!
Not only did we have ASL interpreters, but also another interpreter in the court to translate English to the native language of the witnesses. I was surprised that the interpreter was totally lousy and unprofessional, and thankful that I had two great ASL interpreters. I really learned something today, that if you have a bad interpreter, it can affect the court and the jury's decision on the case, if something is translated badly. It was very hard to follow. At the end of that part, my interpreters overheard the judge saying "take that interpreter's name off the list!"
Ah well, another day to go, tomorrow they plan to finish up, so I hope everything will be over by tomorrow. This Jury duty thing is getting to me now. I'm tiiiiiireeeeddd! LOL

No, in New Jersey, jurors are not paid anymore. We are required to come anyway, or we would face like about 500$ fine.

I went today, arrived there before 9.30 am. And we waited and waited and waited until 11.30, then the court started. The judge spoke with us, and said that a witness was away on holiday for the weekend, and would not be able to testify until Tuesday! We we were excused early and told to come back 9.30 Tuesday morning. So, yes, I am very mad at the court today!!!! ha ha ha ha I am dying for it to be over with already.

No they don't pay you. But usually, when you have a good job, your job will pay you for missing the day anyway. I do not have a day job, so I am not really missing a whole lot. Just Tuesdays when I teach ASL classes.

Some States can pay people jury duty if show up. Depend on STates for none or small amount of $$$.

Talked with my father, he said the court should pay 5$ for each day. I never heard anything about that when I was there, so I really don't know... We'll see if I get a cheque in the post! LOL

Update: I got paid 5$ a day, and an additional 40$ a day after 3 days. I was surprised, only expecting to get a cheque for 20$ but ended up getting one for 55$ for 4 days. Not that it is a lot of money anyhow...

Originally posted by kuifje75
Hi you all. I have to report for Jury Duty tomorrow at 9 am. This will be my first time to do jury duty. Have any one of you done jury duty before? How was it for you? Did you have interpreters or CART? The court phoned here and asked me if it would be all right to go with a CART instead, but I insisted for them to have an interpreter instead! Oh, there's a poll up here too, feel free to answer.

To be honest, I don't even know what CART is about. :Oops:

Could you explain in depth on what it does and what purpose it serves?
Thanks!

I got summon, wrote back stating I am deaf, but was told not to drive for two weeks due of ear surgery. the courtdate was july 15, my surgery was on July 6... so I haven't been in court for jury duty yet...

Wendy

Actually, I don't think you sign up for jury duty. The county will go through the voter registeration list and make random selection of residents to call to jury duty.

Not only voter registeration list..

but driver license too...

I haven't register myself to vote yet...
but I did got jury duty 2 years ago--
didn't go due of surgery.

Wendy

I did get a summon to be jury duty. I wrote a letter with Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf's letter to prove that I am Deaf. It requires to have an ASL interpreter during jury duty. They waiver me twice. They never sent me a letter lately. I can't go there if there is NO interpreter.

If there is an interpreter whole the week. It requires to have two legal interpreters. It seems impossible for me to miss those days if I did not understand what the witness testify. Not worth for me to attendance jury duty !

The government will pay me if I miss those work days which is under the Department of Judgical. Thanks God, I do not have to go there because I am afraid. I may fell asleep to watch the interpreter sign alll the day with five days. I may suck my thumb and rub with my fingers next to jury's shirt. I did not want the Judge hits a wooden hammer at my head ! No Thanks !

I did not want to hear more problems. I want to hear more positive and be happier. :D The life is such short !

Sabrina

Last edited:
Re: Re: Jury Duty

Originally posted by WaterRats13
To be honest, I don't even know what CART is about. :Oops:

Could you explain in depth on what it does and what purpose it serves?
Thanks!

CART is Captioning at Real Time, which is like a computer screen. The stenographist will type everything and you can read on the screen what is being said in the court.

I find that to be ok for people who can speak with their voices very well, but me, I prefer to use sign language. So I really needed ASL interpreters and the court had no problems with it at all whatsoever. It went very smoothly.

Originally posted by Sabrina
If there is an interpreter whole the week. It requires to have two legal interpreters.

Yeah, I had two ASL interpreters and it went very beautifully. One interpreter took role of the lawyers and other took the roles of the witnesses. I didn't pay attention to one interpreter all day, because it was much more lively to watch two interpreters "talking."

I think it is an honour to do jury duty, and to serve your own country to give people fair trials. I was just shocked that my jury duty experiences went beautifully without any problems. I even took an active part of the deliberation process discussing with the group, because of the two awesome interpreters I had.

In Australia, I am not allowed to serve on a jury because I am deaf. I believe this is really discrimination, they won't even allow interpreters in the court either for jurors. Even if my name was on the voting registrar, I would still be excluded from jury duty on the grounds of deafness (inability to communicate).

I would love to serve on a jury to play my part in Australia's legal system and to see what it's all about. Ah well, I'll just have to wait until the system's changed. :)

Ziusudra

Re: Re: Re: Jury Duty

CART is Captioning at Real Time, which is like a computer screen. The stenographist will type everything and you can read on the screen what is being said in the court.

I find that to be ok for people who can speak with their voices very well, but me, I prefer to use sign language. So I really needed ASL interpreters and the court had no problems with it at all whatsoever. It went very smoothly.

Hi Kuifje75...thanks so much for explaining what CART stood for and what purpose it served. Now I understand what it is...obviously, I've never used CART for any purposes -- :P

Another reason I'm glad I don't get summoned to jury duty is because I just *know* I'll fall asleep no matter what. :roll:

Goldie

In California, specifically in my county, jurors are paid a small sum per day plus mileage and if your job pays your salary while on jury duty, you must give the money to your employer; however, you keep the mileage money.

Originally posted by Tousi
In California, specifically in my county, jurors are paid a small sum per day plus mileage and if your job pays your salary while on jury duty, you must give the money to your employer; however, you keep the mileage money.

Interesting...didn't know about that...but it's a good thing to keep in mind should I move back to California -- I'll try to get jury duty and get paid, :lol:

Goldie

Back