Jane Fernandes - gone!

My words to the deaf leaders who are saddened by the loss of Jane Fernandes as next president of Gallaudet University, is to go on with your good deeds, do your business in areas not readily accessible to the old deaf guards. The 98% of the deaf society is on our side. Time is on our side and the old deaf guards will be paying a big price for their small victory yesterday.

We can capitalize on this by showing the world that old deaf guards are very inflexible and non-inclusive which is a major turnoff to most grantmakers. Save the newspapers and the Gallaudet university press releases on Jane's termination and use them in your highly competitive grant writing.

If youre competing with a deaf organization or a deaf school for funds, use the blogs to see if the competition supports the protest and use that info in your grantwriting as proof of the old deaf guard's wholesale inflexibility toward people who represent the future of deaf society. You will win easily.

The recent old deaf guard's victory at Gallaudet is our fundraising goldmine to use.

LETS USE IT!

Richard Roehm

Finally posted a 2:04 Google Video clip tonight about the BoT's decision today. I haven't had time to caption it, so non-ASL users here are 'left' out for the time being. Hopefully I'll caption them tomorrow and let you all know.

For the ASL'ers among you, feel free to check it out!
Triomphe L'oeil - Vlog

Great job, Eyeth!! :thumb:

My Mom's friend said that "If somebody who has been deaf all their life can't be accepted by the deaf community because she didn't learn to sign until her 20's, what incentive does any hearing person have in trying to meet them halfway (ie: learn sign language) if they're just going to cop an attitude unless you're part of Deaf Culture?"

Actually, I'm hearing, and I'm learning ASL. I guess my perspective is that I could care less about someone who's so Deaf that they're going to cop an attitude with me because I'm not. I do my best, and yeah, I'm probably signing some SEE/PSE, but I'm still working on it. I guess my thought is that I'm bettering myself, and maybe some day I'll be able to help someone who's deaf -- in my profession or just socially / personally. In exchange, they'll be able to help me with something. Everyone needs help with something, and it's not a mark of weakness to admit that -- it's a mark of wisdom. If I refused to accept help from every person who was different from me, then I would be a very poor, very ignorant, very lonely, very sad person.

Crab theory isn't exclusive to the Deaf community. However, in order for crab theory to work, you have to allow yourself to fall back down with the other crabs. If you work to better yourself, and others start to gossip and ostricize you, then you find out who your real friends and family are. You shouldn't be saddened by the loss of something you really never had (friends who define their relationship with you by keeping you down aren't really friends at all -- they're codependents.)

Getting back to the topic at hand though, I'm not altogether sure this situation is an example of Crab theory. This woman seems to have made a number of questionable decisions and statements. No one's perfect, but there does seem to be a bit of a track record. Personally I think the flaw here is that there is no proper mechanism for students and faculty to use to make their disatisfaction felt, short of protesting. I think the BOT needs to be restructured so that student government plays a larger role in selecting a President. Yes, it's different than other schools, but keep in mind the nature of Gally -- it's different by definition, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I am hearing and maybe my opinion isn't warrented here but i have one so i will give it. Before i ever met a Deaf person i watched a thing on tv about the protests a while back and i felt that the students were doing the right thing. If they really feel that the person who is to lead them is the wrong choice they need to voice it and if no one will listen you go further. That is what it is to be American. Hate that BOT fired her though. I think she should have resigned. It wasn't just the students that were protesting either the facilty were so as to the "temper tantrum" comment by some doesn't hold water with me given that fact. When the majority of the student body and the facilty stand up and say this person cannot be our president she should have stopped the whole thing. How can you be an effective leader when you have caused so much division? How can you expect anyone to have any respect for you? And if you love Gallaudet so much when you saw this was such a divisive issue why didn't you step down. Seems that this was her dream and she didn't want to let it go no matter the cost to the school, it's image or the student body as a whole.

I am hearing and maybe my opinion isn't warrented here but i have one so i will give it. Before i ever met a Deaf person i watched a thing on tv about the protests a while back and i felt that the students were doing the right thing. If they really feel that the person who is to lead them is the wrong choice they need to voice it and if no one will listen you go further. That is what it is to be American. Hate that BOT fired her though. I think she should have resigned. It wasn't just the students that were protesting either the facilty were so as to the "temper tantrum" comment by some doesn't hold water with me given that fact. When the majority of the student body and the facilty stand up and say this person cannot be our president she should have stopped the whole thing. How can you be an effective leader when you have caused so much division? How can you expect anyone to have any respect for you? And if you love Gallaudet so much when you saw this was such a divisive issue why didn't you step down. Seems that this was her dream and she didn't want to let it go no matter the cost to the school, it's image or the student body as a whole.

That is pretty much exactly how I feel. I hate that she had to be terminated. I wish she could have taken the initiative to resign on her own. That would have changed my opinion of her leadership.

Yay!! JK is finally gone...I agree that she should have resigned earlier and save her pride but I think she stayed on becuz she wanted to be Prez so badly...it would have looked great on her already excellent resume.

Lets hope BOTs pick the next prez who have the guts to face all those problems Gally's been having for years and make much needed changes.

That is pretty much exactly how I feel. I hate that she had to be terminated. I wish she could have taken the initiative to resign on her own. That would have changed my opinion of her leadership.

Same here. In order to be a leader, people have to be convinced that you are capable of leading.

She never demonstrated any real leadership skills, not in the last 6 months since the announcement as far I am concerned. When she tried to convince people that she was the leader, it backfired every single time by making some up some half-baked analogies and trying to put the blame onto somebody else.

It's like having a scout leader who don't know how to use a compass and then setting off for a week-long trip in a national park with a bunch of kids. Would you want a scout leader who don't know how to use a compass to lead a pack of scouts into a national park for a whole week?

That's how I perceived her. Especially during her Q&A and analogies that they've captured on video. Not impressive at all.

Jane as the “Abe Lincoln” martyr

I see Jane as the “Abe Lincoln” martyr. She worked to liberate the deaf communities from the grips of dependence only to be shot down by the dependency confederates.

I see Jane as the “Abe Lincoln” martyr. She worked to liberate the deaf communities from the grips of dependence only to be shot down by the dependency confederates.

Pffth! You're spouting rubbish as usual. You would believe that, but not the majority of suuporters for JKF to be removed. You, as usual, likes to twist other's words. Sheesh!

Nesmuth, you sure make your way around the net. You posted the same thing on signcasts as you did at the top of this page of the thread. And you got ignored or shot down in both situations.

Shock

I'm very shocked to hear that the president is eliminated. It's very disappointing for me to hear this news.

The president recognized that to get along in a hearing world communication is very important. If one can only sign and not read lips and has poor verbal skills then they are at a disadvantage. Those that have those skills will be accepted and probably go further in their careers and lives. That position is open to debate. Certainly, it would seem that the more communication skills that one has the better off that person would be. The students and faculty say that by reinforcing those skills the president is taking away form the deaf communities individuality. That the deaf should be accepted no matter how they communicate. I agree. However, the reality is that you must be able to communicate with others effectively to get ahead in this world and most of the U.S. population does not sign. Personally, I understand the students position but I believe that they are being short sighted.

I'm deaf since birth. I live in a hearing world very heavily and I interact with hearing people extremely well. By the way, I do have few deaf friends and I sign with them.

Good luck finding next one cuz I do not see how others will be better than JK to run Gally.

I'm very shocked to hear that the president is eliminated. It's very disappointing for me to hear this news.

The president recognized that to get along in a hearing world communication is very important. If one can only sign and not read lips and has poor verbal skills then they are at a disadvantage. Those that have those skills will be accepted and probably go further in their careers and lives. That position is open to debate. Certainly, it would seem that the more communication skills that one has the better off that person would be. The students and faculty say that by reinforcing those skills the president is taking away form the deaf communities individuality. That the deaf should be accepted no matter how they communicate. I agree. However, the reality is that you must be able to communicate with others effectively to get ahead in this world and most of the U.S. population does not sign. Personally, I understand the students position but I believe that they are being short sighted.

I'm deaf since birth. I live in a hearing world very heavily and I interact with hearing people extremely well. By the way, I do have few deaf friends and I sign with them.

You know that Jane isn't good leadership then she's gone.

Good luck finding next one cuz I do not see how others will be better than JK to run Gally.

What the heck did you say here? She didn't do well even as a provost before the protest even so then heck what you do think she could lead Gally as prez. - no way, she would fare far worse. There are certain numbers of deaf leaders who can do well and relate to the deaf community much more effective than JK did.

A true leader must stay and listen close to his/her people or community in order to make the leadership decisions, but JK FAILED that at dozen times or more already. Therefore she CANNOT LEAD at all.

That's the big reason why they protested to ensure that she is removed and that she won't create more mess for the university like she did as a provost. We wouldn't want her to lead any deaf organisation or university ever.

She has NO connection with the deaf community as it did obviously showed that throughout the protest and even long before that. Obv, you didn't know much about her past history so suggest you to read sources on both sides then you would see more and more about her. But then you can decide or say.. thanks to the freedom of speech, that is.

Nesmuth, you sure make your way around the net. You posted the same thing on signcasts as you did at the top of this page of the thread. And you got ignored or shot down in both situations.

I never got shot down. You cant shoot a hammer down. Ha!

Richard

They made the Gally Prez seat a deafhood hotbed like they did with the CEO seat of DCARA.

So im seeing subtle signs of IKJ extending his leadership.

Richard

IKJ is retiring at the end of this year for sure....there is already a interim president picked who will run Gally until BOT pick the new president.

Back