Jane Fernandes - gone!

:applause: :applause: Yesssss !!!!:applause:

I mean the classes are no longer offering...

I got this from website...

Fernandes, in deciding to close the department, has denied deaf people the only means of preserving their language and history as well as promoting ASL to the outside world. Do you ever wonder why the television/film department hasn’t yet become the biggest and strongest department on campus? Why there aren’t more television shows and campus news programs, movies and documentaries at Gallaudet University?

WOW!!! Now, Jane is gone... :D

UNITY FOR GALLAUDET :lol:

Fernandes, in deciding to close the department, has denied deaf people the only means of preserving their language and history as well as promoting ASL to the outside world. Do you ever wonder why the television/film department hasn’t yet become the biggest and strongest department on campus? Why there aren’t more television shows and campus news programs, movies and documentaries at Gallaudet University?
what website? the same one? and it does not say anything about classes?

It is really pathetic to see crab theory being used in Gally community eh.. real disappointing!

I for one am really glad that I am not gally student at all.

Yeah same here. I'm an overseas observer but from what I see the students run Gally and if they don't like something then all they have to do is riot and they get their way. It's not 1968 anymore.

It doesn't do much for the institution's credibility. Imagine if workplaces, schools etc were run like that - there would be chaos.

Your quote raises some interesting points. Given that ASL is an important part of the Deaf culture and videos could be considered the "books" of the Deaf culture, I would consider television/film with video to be a vital part of Gally given it's history.

R2, good point. I would be very interested in following the careers of the students that led the protests. I would love to see how many times they get fired because they refuse to do the work necessary for the job. The protest philosophy is just that, a philosophy. Try it in the work place and see what happens. You would be amazed how fast you will be replaced.
I think the whole thing is sad. Refer back to my earlier statements concerning cultures that refuse to adapt.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this whole incident has done more harm than good when talking about the advancement of deaf issues in the hearing world.

Finally posted a 2:04 Google Video clip tonight about the BoT's decision today. I haven't had time to caption it, so non-ASL users here are 'left' out for the time being. Hopefully I'll caption them tomorrow and let you all know.

For the ASL'ers among you, feel free to check it out!
Triomphe L'oeil - Vlog

R2D2 I agree with you completely. I got into a discussion about Gally with some hearing friends of mine, and they said that it appears that "The deaf students there are never happy" (referring to DPN and the current situation.) Can you imagine hearing students at a major university resorting to blockading gates, taking over buildings and engaging in civil disobedience because they didn't "like" who was their college president? Unheard of.

My Mom's friend said that "If somebody who has been deaf all their life can't be accepted by the deaf community because she didn't learn to sign until her 20's, what incentive does any hearing person have in trying to meet them halfway (ie: learn sign language) if they're just going to cop an attitude unless you're part of Deaf Culture?"

I didn't have an answer - having experienced the bad side of Deaf Culture myself when I visited Gally in the 90's because I am oral.

So this just shows a bit of how the hearing community is visualizing the temper tantrum and its aftermath. Sad huh?

I remember about oral language, I tried to took classes for oral language when I was 3 years old and wear FM system but FM system isn't help to understand enough and parent isn't happy then let me to use english sign language and not learn ASL until 2000.

R2D2 I agree with you completely. I got into a discussion about Gally with some hearing friends of mine, and they said that it appears that "The deaf students there are never happy" (referring to DPN and the current situation.) Can you imagine hearing students at a major university resorting to blockading gates, taking over buildings and engaging in civil disobedience because they didn't "like" who was their college president? Unheard of.

My Mom's friend said that "If somebody who has been deaf all their life can't be accepted by the deaf community because she didn't learn to sign until her 20's, what incentive does any hearing person have in trying to meet them halfway (ie: learn sign language) if they're just going to cop an attitude unless you're part of Deaf Culture?"

I didn't have an answer - having experienced the bad side of Deaf Culture myself when I visited Gally in the 90's because I am oral.

So this just shows a bit of how the hearing community is visualizing the temper tantrum and its aftermath. Sad huh?

I don't have the URL or information with me but did you know that 14 hearing colleges, including Harvard had similar scenarios as Gallaudet and changes were made last year?

The protesters against Jane K. Fernandes, because she is not deaf enough - that is not TRUE!

Again, that is not TRUE!

Do you want me to repeat that?

The Deaf community is the Deaf World. The language is American Sign Language. The culture is Deaf. If you want to speak and hear then you can be a part of the hearing mainstream American culture.

"People who speak different languages live in different worlds. Not the same world with different labels."

Sapir, 1928

The protesters against Jane K. Fernandes, because she is not deaf enough - that is not TRUE!

Again, that is not TRUE!

Do you want me to repeat that?

No, no need to repeat it for me, I understand perfectly. The Administration spewed so many SIMPLE lies to cover up so many complex TRUTHS. Now it is over and the healing can begin as well as putting in place an environment that is all-inclusive for all types of deaf people. Paddy Lane's Deafhood puts forth a major tenet that says just that! So.....on to better things for ALL deaf, oral, HoH, late-deafened, and CI folks!

I think The*Empress is referring to this site.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

R2, good point. I would be very interested in following the careers of the students that led the protests. I would love to see how many times they get fired because they refuse to do the work necessary for the job. The protest philosophy is just that, a philosophy. Try it in the work place and see what happens. You would be amazed how fast you will be replaced.
I think the whole thing is sad. Refer back to my earlier statements concerning cultures that refuse to adapt.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this whole incident has done more harm than good when talking about the advancement of deaf issues in the hearing world.

We'll see. I hope you're finished with the armchair philosophizing (sp?)? Your view is also nothing more than your philosophy. We'll just have to wait and see. People have been predicting the demise of Deaf culture for more than a hundred years. Looks like they were and are wrong.

Back