It must get tiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that. But, there's a way to give that information w/o turning a thread into something akin to a blood bath.

but... that would means Colosseum would never been born...

I don't think you fully grasp it. I could drop some liners, and you would want to turn me into gory bits... :) Then we can discuss from there?

I don't see how any productive discussion can happen when tempers run high; especially if we're talking more than one person who's upset. That's my point. If you're upset to the point that you feel like you want rip out someone's eyes, it's time to bounce! No need join in on the melee. No need to start the melee to begin with. Just simply bounce from a thread.

If you're giving information and someone doesn't get it, or, the person has a differing point of view, you tried. That's all you can do. You've said what you needed to. There's only so many ways you can say the same thing, anyway. And, if you KNOW someone doesn't agree with your philosophy, then don't even bother. It's NOT worth it.

Sometimes, it takes the bigger person to walk away. We're not saviors here, people. We can only give our OPINIONS on a situation. Some people will get it. Others, won't.

I don't see how any productive discussion can happen when tempers run high; especially if we're talking more than one person who's upset. That's my point. If you're upset to the point that you feel like you want rip out someone's eyes, it's time to bounce! No need join in on the melee. No need to start the melee to begin with. Just simply bounce from a thread.

If you're giving information and someone doesn't get it, or, the person has a differing point of view, you tried. That's all you can do. You've said what you needed to. There's only so many ways you can say the same thing, anyway. And, if you KNOW someone doesn't agree with your philosophy, then don't even bother. It's NOT worth it.

Sometimes, it takes the bigger person to walk away. We're not saviors here, people. We can only give our OPINIONS on a situation. Some people will get it. Others, won't.

CSign - are you taking a note of this? *gesturing - write it down*

I've seen several people engage someone for the sake of starting a melee. I'm not singling anyone out.

I've decided that the subtle dynamics in a Kindergarten playground are worth watching. :P

I've seen several people engage someone for the sake of starting a melee. I'm not singling anyone out.

yes. that includes me too. I wonder how many times threads have been locked cuz of Jillio vs. Jiro :lol:

Wirelessly posted

Oceanbreeze said:

the truth is, as long as there's anonmity and a monitor involved, no webcam or actual photos of the posters, this will continue until forums are phased out.

Doesn't happen on facebook or myspace as often because you know the people, or their faces/photos are compromised. Not to say it doesn't happen.

Forums on the other hand, are for near complete anonmity. We post to interact with others from a distance, not necessarily for getting to know someone.

2c

Wirelessly posted

the truth is, as long as there's anonmity and a monitor involved, no webcam or actual photos of the posters, this will continue until forums are phased out.

Doesn't happen on facebook or myspace as often because you know the people, or their faces/photos are compromised. Not to say it doesn't happen.

Forums on the other hand, are for near complete anonmity. We post to interact with others from a distance, not necessarily for getting to know someone.

2c

You raise a good point, Naisho. People feel it's OK to rip someone apart simply because they dont know them. Being able to detach yourself from your behavior, gives people a certain kind of power or so they think.

Its actually kind of sick.

You raise a good point, Naisho. People feel it's OK to rip someone apart simply because they dont know them. Being able to detach yourself from your behavior, gives people a certain kind of power or so they think.

Its actually kind of sick.

On the other hand, quite a few people know a lot about me. I am pretty open - you can easily reach me outside the forum. you also pretty much can meet me in person as well.

:)

By the way, I still don't think you completely get what I mean back there, I'll send you a PM.

Pearl clutching? Really? :iolol:

The point is to have accurate information represented for the onlookers.

Thank you! :ty: That is exactly the point. And a correction of incorrect information does not have to turn into an argument. It only occurs when the one being corrected gets "butt hurt" to quote a friend of mine.:giggle: That is when the defensive claws come out.

:popcorn: - This is getting interesting indeed.

Well, I will give you an example. A new member, hearing parent with deaf child, had more than one of her threads turned into a circus. Yet, she has expressed her gratitude on more than one occasion for getting not only the information she needs from the Deaf, but for being entertained by those who choose to turn everything into a battle. She learned early on who to pay attention to and who to tune out. That was productive discourse, and it happened in the middle of one of the usual battles we have come to expect from a certain faction of the membership.

Those who are here to learn will do so despite some of the antics. Those who are not here to learn, but are only here to express their opinions (which are ususally contrary to the Deaf perpsective) will not learn here or elsewhere. However, their motive soon becomes obvious to all, and so, no matter how much they whine about being picked on, and no matter how much they attempt to insult others, they are not viewed with any credibility. That again, is productive.

yes. that includes me too. I wonder how many times threads have been locked cuz of Jillio vs. Jiro :lol:

Heck! We've moved way beyond that! People have learned how to deal with us!:laugh2:

But we will still be accused of being the cause when the evidence all points in another direction. It is that old failure to take personal responsibility.cease

Do I post without beating around the bush? Yes, I do. Do I correct misinformation when I see it? Yes, I do. Do I stay consistent to my beliefs? Yes, I do. Do I start off politely in my corrections? Yes, I do. But when it becomes obvious that the poster does not respond in kind, with intelligence, logic, and fact, I soon cease to waste time in challanging them to think, and instead, put it on the line.

Wirelessly posted

2c

I am not anonymous at all. More AD members have contact with me outside this forum than ones that don't. And it has been that way for some time.

Heck! We've moved way beyond that! People have learned how to deal with us!:laugh2:

But we will still be accused of being the cause when the evidence all points in another direction. It is that old failure to take personal responsibility.cease

Do I post without beating around the bush? Yes, I do. Do I correct misinformation when I see it? Yes, I do. Do I stay consistent to my beliefs? Yes, I do. Do I start off politely in my corrections? Yes, I do. But when it becomes obvious that the poster does not respond in kind, with intelligence, logic, and fact, I soon cease to waste time in challanging them to think, and instead, put it on the line.

Ah, I still enjoyed the fight that involved insinuations about sheep...

Ah, I still enjoyed the fight that involved insinuations about sheep...

OMG! That was ages ago! And the thing was, Jiro and I were having a ball with each other..it was other people that got offended. :laugh2: That was mine and Jiro's way of feeling each other out! In the 'hood it's called "Playing the Dozens".

Re bolded statement above: that is my point. This has clearly been an ongoing problem, and it would be nice for us to work together to make a change.

In terms of the kitchen being too hot... Well, if it were too hot for me I would have left a long time ago. I'm here with a purpose, and nothing will change that.

It would be nice if we all work together but if you or others post false information about the education for the deaf, Deaf culture, or ASL and etc (making a general statement) and we correct you but only to get blamed for attacking you and others.

Hello?

I know that the parents of CI users will NOT accept false information being posted about CIs and will correct uneducated people about it and most of us here on AD usually stay out of it out of respect because we know that it is their right.

WHAT ABOUT OUR RIGHTS to correct those who post false information about our language, our culture, and deaf education?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back