Is the Poverty Rate Higher For Deaf People Than General Population?

I dont care what anyone sez, collecting ssi and living at home is not a good life.

Deaf people that are doing it have most likely given up on themselves.

We should work together in being more militant about deaf people getting the same opportunities as everyone else
why not don't care you anyone?

I am curious on deaf people give up themselves

Unfortunately, there ARE deaf people who are lazy and do collect SSI/SSDI. Seen them with my own eyes. They give us a bad name.

I've also gone to a deaf school as a guest and watched the teachers say "See? Here are some deaf people who work. DON'T GRADUATE FROM HERE AND COLLECT SSI!!!"

The kids (who are seniors/juniors) laughed and pointed at each other. "He's gonna do it!" "Her! Her!" etc.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was mildly disturbing.

There are away people trying to collect welfare, SSI etc and they are not deaf or hoh! If does not just happen with deaf people! The poverty rate in the wost it been in years , it is affecting a lot of people.

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Couldn't be further from the truth for me! I work six days a week on a farm. I don't have time to be lazy!!

Whoever told you that or gave you that impression is pretty :crazy: :laugh2:

I work 6 days this week and 7 next week. :shock: I would not be where I am if I were lazy or stupid.:roll:

Some hearing people think that deaf people aren't ordinary people who work, drive, get married and have kids. It's ignorant but that's what some people think. :roll:

Make sure not to tell hearies that we turn into aliens at night. :giggle:

I used to wash dishes in college. It wasnt bad but I wouldnt want to do it for the rest of my life.

Im currently collecting ssi. Its more from arthritis in my legs than my hoh. Anyways, I got my hip replacements and currently looking for work.

I find collecting ssi and living with mother to be rather humiliating. They dont give you anywhere near enough to live on your own independently. Yeah its possible with roommates but at that income level, they tend not to be reliable. Ive been evicted twice cuz of this. I was still recoving from hip surgeries and having to move couple of times. Shitty. Thats why a lot of people on ssi end up living with their parents.

People dont collect ssi unless there arent better opportunities available. If working a shit job aint bad enough, a lot of times deaf people tend to be isolated in the workplace from communication barriers. So they end up feeling like the odd man out with no friends to talk. Nothing makes you feel lonely as being around a bunch of people that ignore you.

This is why I think some deaf people give up. Am I wrong? I dont encourage giving up. Just stating challenges that might exist

We should work together in being more militant about deaf people getting the same opportunities as everyone else

While I do not argue that deaf people are not discriminated against, I think you really have to look at whether it is a case of not having opportunities or not taking advantage of those opportunities. What percentage of Deaf seek out higher education? What percentage of deaf create their own products?

Plenty of hearing people argue that they don't have the same opportunities as other people and are not helped by the system as well.

If it is really a case of not have the same opportunities, the community should work within themselves and only buy goods created by Deaf. In this way, money is moved within the community.

When you live paycheck to paycheck, every week, you are literally one paycheck away from being homeless.

I've thought about when I move to work two part-time jobs if possible. Then, simply budget for one paycheck and put the other paycheck back as a sort of landing pad in case things get hairy (again).

Since the recession began in 2008, I have been laid off, I've worked 3 jobs while balancing school and being a single mother, I've also been terminated from a job because I was ill at work. I'm still hopeful though to get out on my own and start over again more or less for the first time since my divorce 7 years ago. I hope to go back to school to finish my degree.

Hopefully my job search will turn up something that's doable.

That is very true that you are one paycheck from being homeless. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for most of my adult life. I am tired of it. I am hoping to change that starting next year.

That is very true that you are one paycheck from being homeless. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for most of my adult life. I am tired of it. I am hoping to change that starting next year.

Hopefully, with a BA in my hand, maybe I might be able to get something besides working in the poultry industry.

Right now, though, with nothing but just two years of college, I'm pretty worthless.

And yes I find it embarrassing that I'm 27 y/o, I make less than 18,000/yr, I live at home with my parents and I have a child of my own to raise. Seems like I've become a loser and believe me when I don't feel loser enough, I have a father that makes sure that I'm reminded daily that I'm a loser and a failure in his eyes.

I just wish I could spread my wings now and fly. Maybe I should? :hmm:

Hopefully, with a BA in my hand, maybe I might be able to get something besides working in the poultry industry.

Right now, though, with nothing but just two years of college, I'm pretty worthless.

And yes I find it embarrassing that I'm 27 y/o, I make less than 18,000/yr, I live at home with my parents and I have a child of my own to raise. Seems like I've become a loser and believe me when I don't feel loser enough, I have a father that makes sure that I'm reminded daily that I'm a loser and a failure in his eyes.

I just wish I could spread my wings now and fly. Maybe I should? :hmm:

I think yes you should. However, don't set yourself up for failure by failing to plan. One of my mistake was moving out of my sister's place too quickly just cause I wanted to be on my own but wasn't quite ready for it. I got lucky there tho and was able to find a new way to make ends meet.

I would advise to be patience and try to get yourself set up as well as you can which you seem to be doing by getting stuff you need and storing them.

If you are able, I would try to get at least one month worth of money set aside for savings before moving out. That way if you get sick or etc, you got one month to live on.

I think yes you should. However, don't set yourself up for failure by failing to plan. One of my mistake was moving out of my sister's place too quickly just cause I wanted to be on my own but wasn't quite ready for it. I got lucky there tho and was able to find a new way to make ends meet.

I would advise to be patience and try to get yourself set up as well as you can which you seem to be doing by getting stuff you need and storing them.

If you are able, I would try to get at least one month worth of money set aside for savings before moving out. That way if you get sick or etc, you got one month to live on.

Actually, I've been buying things a little bit at a time and they are currently being stored at a self-storage unit not far from where I have applied to live in an income-based apartment.

Due to unforseen unexpected expenses, right now I have a whopping 72 cents in the bank and a quarter tank of gas in my truck. I'm hoping this will last me until payday. If not, I guess I will be walking or calling someone to pick my sorry butt up off the side of the road.

When you live paycheck to paycheck, every week, you are literally one paycheck away from being homeless.

Im sorry what you're going thru. More ppl are livin' penny to penny. The link I posted was about a young mother who is really havin a hard time takin care of her 10 month old son is pregnant again and she doesnt know she wants abortion or not b/c of the economy. Soooooo sad. :(

I am a profoundly deaf, an asl user and attended deaf school all my life. Over years, I made sure that I must have a job and I do have a job. I am more comfortable to have a job rather than receving SSI or SSDI.

Yeah, especially when inflation rate rising faster than salary/hourly increase each year. I see some of the employees keep looking for available jobs that will pay him/her higher than his/her current job. It's like they are racing against the inflation rate.

What if deaf people with higher education are being discriminated against?

While I do not argue that deaf people are not discriminated against, I think you really have to look at whether it is a case of not having opportunities or not taking advantage of those opportunities. What percentage of Deaf seek out higher education? What percentage of deaf create their own products?

Plenty of hearing people argue that they don't have the same opportunities as other people and are not helped by the system as well.

If it is really a case of not have the same opportunities, the community should work within themselves and only buy goods created by Deaf. In this way, money is moved within the community.

What if deaf people with higher education are being discriminated against?

Well, I can tell you this... I got a response to a job position I applied for. Once I told them that I was deaf, they went, that shouldn't be a problem. I said, great and when do you want to set an interview?

They never replied.

I think they were just trying to weasel their way out and did a bad job at it.

Well, I can tell you this... I got a response to a job position I applied for. Once I told them that I was deaf, they went, that shouldn't be a problem. I said, great and when do you want to set an interview?

They never replied.

I think they were just trying to weasel their way out and did a bad job at it.

I hate it when they bring up the telephone because the odds are good that I will not get the job if they stop smiling when I explain my deafness.

Yeah, especially when inflation rate rising faster than salary/hourly increase each year. I see some of the employees keep looking for available jobs that will pay him/her higher than his/her current job. It's like they are racing against the inflation rate.

What inflation?

Back