Is the Poverty Rate Higher For Deaf People Than General Population?

You know, I can't remember how long ago was that when SSA announced that the funding maybe in trouble and now, recently that SSA announced the funding will depleted sooner than they thought. I remember back during the first announcement, it made me wonder that our SS retirement fund will be cut signifcantly due to many people used up all the SSI/SSDI, you know many deaf people started on SSI/SSDI at 18 and go on for next 44 years, so for one person, average check about $800.00/month (I seen some get $1400)... So, 800 x 12 = $9600 x 44 years = $442,400. That is almost half a million dollars per person spent for next 44 years. Now try to multiply number of deaf people who is on SSI/SSDI... I have no idea how many deaf people who are on SSI/SSDI.

People with full time job won't able to get SS benefits until 62 years old while the rest of them get it at between 18 to 20 years old. Of course it can be later like for people who lost the job and such.

Then suddenly I start to realized...THEY stole our retirement funds!!

That when I was so young to think that way....when I first learn the news, I just jumped in and start doing my own investments.

wow, there appears to be a lot of resentment towards one another in the deaf community.

I can see how deaf people get discouraged and take ssi. If its between a crappy job like dishwasher vs ssi, can you blame them? Most menial labor jobs dont provide any benefits.

Um.... why do you think I am talking about those who don't have a job? I only said lazy people. I have some friends who don't currently have a job, but they definitely are not lazy.

I know some people have assumed that if one doesn't have a job, therefore that means they are lazy. They also assume if one collects SSDI, therefore they are also lazy. I am not one of those people. Relax....

(By the way, you should be mad at those who ARE lazy and collect SSDI, they are collecting money that should be rightfully for those who DO need it.)

It's all good, Im'ma calm and cool as a cucumber. :) I thought you was saying all deaf people who collect SSDI are lazy. You said you seen with your own eyes.

I dont see nothing wrong with deaf ppl collectin' SSDI. It is their choice,not yours. I do have a problem with ppl stealin' b/c they fake injuries. I've seen that on tv. I keep my opinions of others to myself. Maybe we should do all the same.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

A neighbor who faked an injury got busted. People do check.

You know, I can't remember how long ago was that when SSA announced that the funding maybe in trouble and now, recently that SSA announced the funding will depleted sooner than they thought. I remember back during the first announcement, it made me wonder that our SS retirement fund will be cut signifcantly due to many people used up all the SSI/SSDI, you know many deaf people started on SSI/SSDI at 18 and go on for next 44 years, so for one person, average check about $800.00/month (I seen some get $1400)... So, 800 x 12 = $9600 x 44 years = $442,400. That is almost half a million dollars per person spent for next 44 years. Now try to multiply number of deaf people who is on SSI/SSDI... I have no idea how many deaf people who are on SSI/SSDI.

People with full time job won't able to get SS benefits until 62 years old while the rest of them get it at between 18 to 20 years old. Of course it can be later like for people who lost the job and such.

Then suddenly I start to realized...THEY stole our retirement funds!!

That when I was so young to think that way....when I first learn the news, I just jumped in and start doing my own investments.

You dont know anything. $800.00 is not average check. :roll:

off topic, they give social security to illegals that never paid into the system. So a deaf person collecting isnt anywhere close to being wrong, if they allow that

Illegal workers pay into the system. The employer must take it out. They pay but they don't ever get anything back.

Last edited:
It's all good, Im'ma calm and cool as a cucumber. :) I thought you was saying all deaf people who collect SSDI are lazy. You said you seen with your own eyes.

I dont see nothing wrong with deaf ppl collectin' SSDI. It is their choice,not yours. I do have a problem with ppl stealin' b/c they fake injuries. I've seen that on tv. I keep my opinions of others to myself. Maybe we should do all the same.

I've seen with my own eyes a few people who ARE lazy and collect SSDI as a result of their laziness.

For example, this guy I know, he is really good with web advertising. He makes money doing this, but limits himself to how much he makes because, direct quote: "Why should I work more when I can easily get the money from SSDI? I have much more free time."? He is 34 and lives with his parents, and perfectly happy that way.

You still think there is nothing wrong with him collecting SSDI?

Of course, he doesn't represent most people who collect SSDI. At least I hope not!!!

I've seen with my own eyes a few people who ARE lazy and collect SSDI as a result of their laziness.

For example, this guy I know, he is really good with web advertising. He makes money doing this, but limits himself to how much he makes because, direct quote: "Why should I work more when I can easily get the money from SSDI? I have much more free time."? He is 34 and lives with his parents, and perfectly happy that way.

You still think there is nothing wrong with him collecting SSDI?

Of course, he doesn't represent most people who collect SSDI. At least I hope not!!!

Oh wow. That is bad. He is really good at something but he doesnt want to make money. He wants money given to him. That's pathetic. What does he do with his money? I hope he pays rent and his own food. :lol:

Oh wow. That is bad. He is really good with something but he doesnt want to make money. He wants money given to him. That's pathetic. What does he do with his money? I hope he pays rent and his own food. :lol:

Since you have bragged that you just don't want to work and you live with your parents while being lazy, maybe you are not the best person to be arguing this point.

And lest you ask, I have always worked as much as I was able, and I do have some major handicaps.

Since you have bragged that you just don't want to work and you live with your parents while being lazy, maybe you are not the best person to be arguing this point.

And lest you ask, I have always worked as much as I was able, and I do have some major handicaps.

I didnt brag about not want to work. I do live with my parents b/c they need my help. We have a lot of land and I do a lot of labor work.

What handicaps do you have?

Jiro, how you make your livin'? What jobs have you done?

Why all these questions? Are you being defensive or something? Making a lot of excuses by shooting questions back to us implies laziness.

Anyway - to answer your question... let's just say I've never ever collected SSDI or any kind of benefit in my entire life. and I live on my own... own truck and motorcycle, and travel few times a year... all from my own money.

Oh wow. That is bad. He is really good at something but he doesnt want to make money. He wants money given to him. That's pathetic. What does he do with his money? I hope he pays rent and his own food. :lol:

Why would he? He lives with his parents.....

Although I don't know for sure that he doesn't chip in. Considering that he blows his money to go to Alabama games (those can be expensive)... I have a strong feeling that he doesn't chip in around the house....

Why all these questions? Are you being defensive or something? Making a lot of excuses by shooting questions back to us implies laziness.

Anyway - to answer your question... let's just say I've never ever collected SSDI or any kind of benefit. and I live on my own... own truck and motorcycle, and travel few times a year... all from my own money.

:lol:

I just know you dont work b/c you in here all day and all night all week all month.

I knew you're rich! :D

A deaf girl I dated did mention to me that a lot of Deaf are on SSDI by choice. She said some believe the government should pay. So, based on only that experience, there may be a higher rate of poverty, if it is calculated by SSDI.

Aside from the moral question, is poverty by choice really poverty? It all depends on the definition of poverty, I guess.

Jiro, get back to work. lol

Last edited:
Back