Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I edited my post...

if u know what life is like being compared to hearing people on a constant basis and what it can do to one's self esteem..

It was just science, not judgement.

Your conclusion is still false. Likewise, you cannot apply this research on adults to support a statement you made about children.

Still waiting.

So you read the article and have a different conclusion? What is yours?

So you read the article and have a different conclusion? What is yours?

My conclusion is that you do not understand the difference between reorganizaiton and changing neural pathways, and that this research is done on adults, not children, and therefore is not applicable. I also conclude that you do not have any research that implicitly states that the brain of an early implanted child more closely resembles the brain of a hearing child, as you have stated as fact.

You stated that a child implanted early would have neural pathways resembling those of a hearing child.

Correct. That since they never change and become visual pathways, they remain auditory....like a hearing child.

Correct. That since they never change and become visual pathways, they remain auditory....like a hearing child.

That is decidedly a false conclusion. There is absolutely no research to support that.

All I know is that this little icon needs a break!!

type.gif
poor thing has been smiling and typing away without a coffee/ciggy break.

It is unusual for a child with a CI to be unable to hear into the "speech banana".
Well I wouldn't quite say that. It's probaly unusual for a kid to not have at least SOME access to the speech banana. However, some access doesn't mean total and complete access to what's said. I can hear conversation without my hearing aids, (moderately severe loss both ears) but I don't have complete and total access to speech even WITH my hearing aids.
Oh, and faire_jour that research is about ADULTS. Most adults who get CI are relatively late deafened. That doesn't mean that KIDS with CI "hear" the same.

Oh and the stuff on speech delays.....MANY kids still have speech issues...I mean there are still a pleathora of oral childhood and elementary programs.
Yes, some kids don't have delays, but a lot of that could be attribuated to them coming from the type of families where it's expected that they will be high achievers.

Well I wouldn't quite say that. It's probaly unusual for a kid to not have at least SOME access to the speech banana. However, some access doesn't mean total and complete access to what's said. I can hear conversation without my hearing aids, (moderately severe loss both ears) but I don't have complete and total access to speech even WITH my hearing aids.
Oh, and faire_jour that research is about ADULTS. Most adults who get CI are relatively late deafened. That doesn't mean that KIDS with CI "hear" the same.

I never said "complete access". I said that it was unusual for a CI kid to not have speech awareness, to only hear enviromental sounds.

never said "complete access". I said that it was unusual for a CI kid to not have speech awareness, to only hear enviromental sounds.
Yes, I know. Just clarifying. Speech banana access can mean anything from being able to hear speech sounds/ awareness to being functionally hoh to being "almost hearing" or only being able to hear a small percentage of words.

So Faire_jour, are you saying it's okay for the kids to not use ASL ONLY if they can hear well enough (CI or HoH with significant amp)?

Everyone else, are you confident that teaching EVERY single deaf AND HoH ASL will only benefit them? Is your answer the same if ASL is the first language? I already know Shel90 and Jillio's answers... :)

So Faire_jour, are you saying it's okay for the kids to not use ASL ONLY if they can hear well enough (CI or HoH with significant amp)?

Everyone else, are you confident that teaching EVERY single deaf AND HoH ASL will only benefit them? Is your answer the same if ASL is the first language? I already know Shel90 and Jillio's answers... :)

i'm HOH and I hear well (but not good enough to have consistent, reliable conversations with any hearing). so my answer to your question is - yes ASL will benefit everybody with hearing disability of any degree of damage and no it won't deny me of full access to everything. I doubt that my English (spoken & written) would be any worse than now even if ASL was my first language.

Just only wanted to give an example here.

You take a group of Deaf people that signs ASL only and a group of HOH people that talks only. They all are invited to a party.

You can definitely find them separate in two groups mingling with their own.

Whose fault is that?

The parents.

Just only wanted to give an example here.

You take a group of Deaf people that signs ASL only and a group of HOH people that talks only. They all are invited to a party.

You can definitely find them separate in two groups mingling with their own.

Whose fault is that?

The parents.

plus.... Deaf people are able to communicate with NO difficulty among each other. I guarantee you that a group of HOH people will be saying "say again? what? I don't understand." frequently. and that, my friend, is an EPIC FAIL!

plus.... Deaf people are able to communicate with NO difficulty among each other. I guarantee you that a group of HOH people will be saying "say again? what? I don't understand." frequently. and that, my friend, is an EPIC FAIL!

Oh gosh, that reminds me of a time when I was with a group of oral deaf/hoh kids when working as an aide...everyone, including myself, kept asking each other to repeat each other constantly and conversations were always so jilted because one person looked away and missed something and vice versa....it doesn't allow for free flowing conversations like a group of deaf signers or hearing people have. I felt so bad for these kids cuz living life constantly having to ask others to repeat or having to repeat oneslef if others cudnt understand one's speech can get very frustrating and tiresome. That's why I limit my social outings with hearing people..I prefer one on one situations than group situations...I wud choose a signing environment right off the bat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back