Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not always. If a child is given a CI early and given a fluent language model, they would fall into that catagory, correct?

There are many CI users who have had CIs since their toddler years, one of them being my son's 3 year old friend, that I know who werent able to get more than environment sounds...so they didnt fall into that category.

I am a hearing parent with two hearing children and one HOH child. I have elected to teach my children ASL. I am not by any means good at it and just learning but I have noticed my son's verbal as increased from nothing to something since adding ASL. He does wear HA and since I have other verbal children he is also getting verbal. Just a second ago he came up and tried to talk to me I couldn't understand him for the life of me and then he did the sign to turn off the light. I was told by many people not to teach him sign, but I feel that since his hearing won't get better the only thing it'll do is go down hill. I don't want him to be 20 years old and not have a way to communicate. In Aug. 2008 he was at the mild moderate point last week he is more moderate. Just my two cents.

By solely focusing on the auditory aspect of all deaf children is just gonna continue the problem we have had for decades...

There are many CI users who have had CIs since their toddler years, one of them being my son's 3 year old friend, that I know who werent able to get more than environment sounds...so they didnt fall into that category.

Right, they would not be part of that group.

Right, they would not be part of that group.

So that's why it is important that all aspects are taken into consideration with deaf children regardless what goes in and out their ears...that kind of view has hurted us in the past and will continue to do if it is continued.

Also, I would tell the parents of those children to look into why they are not getting better benefit from their CI's. Perhaps they need better MAPs, different processing strategies. It is unusual for a child with a CI to be unable to hear into the "speech banana".

Also, I would tell the parents of those children to look into why they are not getting better benefit from their CI's. Perhaps they need better MAPs, different processing strategies. It is unusual for a child with a CI to be unable to hear into the "speech banana".

I am just glad that my friend is not making her daughter's ears the only thing about her cuz I know what it is liek to grow up when everything I do is all about my ability to speak or ability to understand hearing people..it is not a fun way to live. It was the reason why my self esteem was completely destroyed. I thought if I could "hear" better, everyone would stop criticizing me or pushing me constantly.

I am just glad that my friend is not making her daughter's ears the only thing about her cuz I know what it is liek to grow up when everything I do is all about my ability to speak or ability to understand hearing people..it is no fun way to live.

Didn't say it should be the only thing, but if you are going to put your child through surgery, you should at least do the necessary follow up to get your child the most benefit possible.

Actually, you said "fluent language model (usually sign)"

I didn't say it, Marsharck did.

Another quote from Marsharck's considerable psychological research:

The spoken language±sign language controversy has not gone away. Following more than 100 years of spoken language dominance in deaf education (led early on by Alexander Graham Bell, e.g., 1898/2005); however, recognition that signed languages were ``true'' languages, beginning in the 1960s (Stokoe, 1960/ 2005), led to their scientific study and their renewed use in educational settings. Importantly, today as 100 years ago, most deaf children have hearing parents who generally lack good sign skills or other means to effectively communicate with them. In the absence of access to early communication and language despite intensive ``oral'' training, most deaf children thus enter school with language delays of up to 2 years, and these lags often become greater with age (Geers, 2006). To early investigators who observed such delays (e.g., Pintner & Patterson, 1916, 1917), it often appeared that the lack of spoken language was
the cause of academic and intellectual challengesÐnot that it was the failure to acquire appropriate language skills in any mode that created barriers to deaf children's learning. Indeed, there was ample evidence then (see Lang, 2003) and there is now (see Marschark et al., 2002) that natural signed languages (like American Sign Language [ASL], Italian Sign Language [LIS], and British Sign Language [BSL]) can provide deaf children with normal developmental trajectories and academic achievement. Yet, only about 25% of deaf children develop intelligible speech (Beattie, 2006; Cole & Paterson, 1984), and specific difficulties with spoken languageÐand with speech-dependent literacy skills (Traxler, 2000) led to considerable difficulty in assessing deaf children's intellectual functioning using traditional tests and measurements.

Marsharck, M. (2006). Intellectual functioning of deaf adults and children: questions and answers. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology. 18(1), 70-89.

Didn't say it should be the only thing, but if you are going to put your child through surgery, you should at least do the necessary follow up to get your child the most benefit possible.

Your child , your decision..

I just have seen that pattern happen with so many of us, including today's deaf children..

I didn't say it, Marsharck did.

Another quote from Marsharck's considerable psychological research:

The spoken language±sign language controversy has not gone away. Following more than 100 years of spoken language dominance in deaf education (led early on by Alexander Graham Bell, e.g., 1898/2005); however, recognition that signed languages were ``true'' languages, beginning in the 1960s (Stokoe, 1960/ 2005), led to their scientific study and their renewed use in educational settings. Importantly, today as 100 years ago, most deaf children have hearing parents who generally lack good sign skills or other means to effectively communicate with them. In the absence of access to early communication and language despite intensive ``oral'' training, most deaf children thus enter school with language delays of up to 2 years, and these lags often become greater with age (Geers, 2006). To early investigators who observed such delays (e.g., Pintner & Patterson, 1916, 1917), it often appeared that the lack of spoken language was
the cause of academic and intellectual challengesÐnot that it was the failure to acquire appropriate language skills in any mode that created barriers to deaf children's learning. Indeed, there was ample evidence then (see Lang, 2003) and there is now (see Marschark et al., 2002) that natural signed languages (like American Sign Language [ASL], Italian Sign Language [LIS], and British Sign Language [BSL]) can provide deaf children with normal developmental trajectories and academic achievement. Yet, only about 25% of deaf children develop intelligible speech (Beattie, 2006; Cole & Paterson, 1984), and specific difficulties with spoken languageÐand with speech-dependent literacy skills (Traxler, 2000) led to considerable difficulty in assessing deaf children's intellectual functioning using traditional tests and measurements.

Marsharck, M. (2006). Intellectual functioning of deaf adults and children: questions and answers. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology. 18(1), 70-89.

But I'm saying that many children do not have an "absence of early communication".
There are many that are arriving at Kindergarten, NOT delayed.

Research says otherwise. Hearing speech and discriminating speech are two different things.

You have provided an abstract. No where in the abstract does it state that conclusions reached were that CI implanted children's brains more closely resembled the brains of hearing children. Therefore, I am still waiting for research that will support that claim.

This article is about adults, as I stated. You need to access the entire article, as I have.

This article is about adults, as I stated. You need to access the entire article, as I have.

If it is about adults, it cannot be used in any way to support your claim regarding the statement that early implanted children have brains that more closely resemble the brains of hearing children.

Still waiting.

If it is about adults, it cannot be used in any way to support your claim regarding the statement that early implanted children have brains that more closely resemble the brains of hearing children.

Still waiting.

And I told you I would find it. I actually intend to show my proof, whereas you simply say "Look yourself".

I have read some very interesting research on the subject. I got the links and information on CiCircle. I'll look around for the exact studies for you. I assume you don't really stay up to date with the most recent implant research.

Your assumption is wrong. I stay up to date on all of the research regarding deaf children.

Deaf children's lives should not be just about being able to "hear" because hearing children do not live their lives like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back