Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so, yes. Through educating and supporting their parents.

So what is your envision of the future deaf generation?

So if your deaf or hoh child prefers to use spoken language, that is ok with you? You would have no problem with dropping sign?

I think you have misinterpreted Wokomaku's post, and my reply.

So what is your envision of the future deaf generation?

Parents who can communicate with their children, they feel welcome at home. Kids who graduate from high school as well educated as hearing kids, many are able to go to college. They are able to have the jobs they want. They feel included in all of society.

Parents who can communicate with their children, they feel welcome at home. Kids who graduate from high school as well educated as hearing kids, many are able to go to college. They are able to have the jobs they want. They feel included in all of society.

Sounds like a case in point for the use of ASL.

What do you base this belief on?

Children I have observed. Why do you assume they can't be? If a child is amplified appropriately at a young age their brains develop auditory pathways like a hearing child, if not, and a visual language is used, those pathways turn visual. So, if given support, they can use those pathways.

Children I have observed. Why do you assume they can't be? If a child is amplified appropriately at a young age their brains develop auditory pathways like a hearing child, if not, and a visual language is used, those pathways turn visual. So, if given support, they can use those pathways.

Are you trained in assessment of learning style? Cognitive psychology and educational psychology, and neuro-psychology would disagree with your conclusions.

That is what I have spent the last 10 years of my life working on..it is a lot harder than said...a lot harder.

That is what I have spent the last 10 years of my life working on..it is a lot harder than said...a lot harder.

Absolutely. Especially when dealing with parents in denial. Or parents that believe that as long as their decisions are made with love, it is all that matters.

Are you trained in assessment of learning style? Cognitive psychology and educational psychology, and neuro-psychology would disagree with your conclusions.

You disagree with the research that shows that children implanted very young have brains more similar to hearing children than profoundly deaf ASL users?

You disagree with the research that shows that children implanted very young have brains more similar to hearing children than profoundly deaf ASL users?

You said that your assessments were based on children u have observed.

What research would that be, faire_jour?

What research would that be, faire_jour?

I have read some very interesting research on the subject. I got the links and information on CiCircle. I'll look around for the exact studies for you. I assume you don't really stay up to date with the most recent implant research.

Indeed, it now appears that regardless of whether their parents are deaf or hearing, deaf children who are better readers turn out to be the ones who had their hearing losses diagnosed earlier, had early access to fluent language (usually via sign language), and were exposed to English. At the same time, having a mother who is a good signer appears to be more important than whether she is deaf or hearing or the precise age at which a chld learns to sign, as long as it is early.

From conclusions based on years of research by Marc Marshark, et.al.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/61...eaf-children-but-not-others-good-readers.html

Indeed, it now appears that regardless of whether their parents are deaf or hearing, deaf children who are better readers turn out to be the ones who had their hearing losses diagnosed earlier, had early access to fluent language (usually via sign language), and were exposed to English. At the same time, having a mother who is a good signer appears to be more important than whether she is deaf or hearing or the precise age at which a chld learns to sign, as long as it is early.

From conclusions based on years of research by Marc Marshark, et.al.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/61...eaf-children-but-not-others-good-readers.html

But not always. If a child is given a CI early and given a fluent language model, they would fall into that catagory, correct?

But not always. If a child is given a CI early and given a fluent language model, they would fall into that catagory, correct?

No. Did you read the statement completely? The most important variable is sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back