Inline 6 vs V6 (gasoline and diesel)

I am not sure, your more expert than I am :)

Usually I am not crazy about autos, I prefer manual. However today auto tranny is better than before especially when it comes to fuel efficient. With fuel efficient, it is almost no different. Maybe 1 or 2 MPG difference. But lifespan, I can't argue with that. ;)

I dunno, Ask DHB.

For me, I don't like any auto tranmission due poor fuel efficient, lost around 10hp, heavy weight, short-life and expensive.

I wonder why many semi trucks use inline 6 instead of V8 or something. Maybe because they are rock solid for heavy use? Like inline 6 is better than a V6 for instance. The funny thing that older UPS vans (brown vans) use 4.3 V6 engines. These are the same engines from the Chevy vehicles.

I am not sure, your more expert than I am :)

Usually I am not crazy about autos, I prefer manual. However today auto tranny is better than before especially when it comes to fuel efficient. With fuel efficient, it is almost no different. Maybe 1 or 2 MPG difference. But lifespan, I can't argue with that. ;)

I told him to ask you because your friend who had problem with auto transmission from his Dodge truck. I had no idea what type of transmission your friend had.

Did you know that the dual clutch transmission is better mpg than auto transmission and manual transmission?

ford-powershift-dual-clutch-automated-manual-transmission-photo-254911-s-1280x782.jpg

6 speeds dual clutch transmission is 30 lbs light weigh than 4 speeds auto transmission.

I wonder why many semi trucks use inline 6 instead of V8 or something. Maybe because they are rock solid for heavy use? Like inline 6 is better than a V6 for instance. The funny thing that older UPS vans (brown vans) use 4.3 V6 engines. These are the same engines from the Chevy vehicles.

I prefer I6 over any V type due easy to replace piston,sleeve, cylinder head, valve adjustment, maintenance, etc without take engine out from semi-truck.

And yes, I6 is very high torque at low RPM with heavy towing without problem.

258, he sold his truck 3 or 4 years ago. Now has Nissan SUV, oh well.

I told him to ask you because your friend who had problem with auto transmission from his Dodge truck. I had no idea what type of transmission your friend had.

Did you know that the dual clutch transmission is better mpg than auto transmission and manual transmission?

ford-powershift-dual-clutch-automated-manual-transmission-photo-254911-s-1280x782.jpg

6 speeds dual clutch transmission is 30 lbs light weigh than 4 speeds auto transmission.

I prefer I6 over any V type due easy to replace piston,sleeve, cylinder head, valve adjustment, maintenance, etc without take engine out from semi-truck.

And yes, I6 is very high torque at low RPM with heavy towing without problem.

V8 diesel engines are too big for the semi trucks, I agree with The Highlander, he says the I6 engines are too easy to repair or spot the bank sides, the mechanics can take the head or pistons out of the block that still place in the truck.
Early UPS trucks used Ford I6 300 cid gasoline engines.

V8 diesel engines are too big for the semi trucks, I agree with The Highlander, he says the I6 engines are too easy to repair or spot the bank sides, the mechanics can take the head or pistons out of the block that still place in the truck.
Early UPS trucks used Ford I6 300 cid gasoline engines.

I picture that why I6 is so good, why discontinue them in cars? They look fine in cars and no need to get rid of it. Supra with the I6 looked good, not too long nose, silly car companies. It's not a long bonnet like the I8 caddies in 1930's, lol.

I picture that why I6 is so good, why discontinue them in cars? They look fine in cars and no need to get rid of it. Supra with the I6 looked good, not too long nose, silly car companies. It's not a long bonnet like the I8 caddies in 1930's, lol.

You see a modern BMW with a small bonnet, still have I6 engine. I don't understand. Or my guess is the car manufacturers want save materials... but not save engine materials, only body material... do you understand what I mean like V6 engine get more timing chains, 4 cam sprockets with 4 camshafts plus 4 vvt solenoids and 2 valve covers with many bolts... AND I6 engine get 2 timing chains with 2 cam sprockets, 2 vvt solenoids, 2 camshafts and one valve cover. Which is waste materials... V6 or I6? What do you think?

You see a modern BMW with a small bonnet, still have I6 engine. I don't understand. Or my guess is the car manufacturers want save materials... but not save engine materials, only body material... do you understand what I mean like V6 engine get more timing chains, 4 cam sprockets with 4 camshafts plus 4 vvt solenoids and 2 valve covers with many bolts... AND I6 engine get 2 timing chains with 2 cam sprockets, 2 vvt solenoids, 2 camshafts and one valve cover. Which is waste materials... V6 or I6? What do you think?

They say that I6 is more expensive to make because of longer crankshaft to make with some kind of lathe machine, and other parts. But still, there are more parts in a V6 than a I6, smh.

Yeah, BMW is one of the few companies that still use I6 engine. I can't think of any others that still do it in the US that aren't powered by diesel.

They say that I6 is more expensive to make because of longer crankshaft to make with some kind of lathe machine, and other parts. But still, there are more parts in a V6 than a I6, smh.

Yeah, BMW is one of the few companies that still use I6 engine. I can't think of any others that still do it in the US that aren't powered by diesel.

they lied...ofc the cankshaft and camshalf is going to be longer, only but 2 cylinders whooope doo...to me, i suspect its just a marketing 'stunt' to make so called technically savvy car magazine writers/tuners/ carsalesmens and ultimately the consumers to 'learn the 'wow facts' when in fact its by a long shot cheaper to make, more bloody headaches to get timings right on the V6s due to its nasty imbalances. It seems they figured the only way to make it 'smooth' its to cheat using computers altering its timings in lwo revs, mid range and high revs, that is advancing or retarding the timings AND finding the 'opitum' cam profile using simulated mechanical 'model' in their CAD/CAM computer networks (computer aided draughting/computer aided modelling)...
so please...dont make me laugh , V6 is CLEARLY more expernsive to make....only thing the I6 MIGHT be more expensive to make wuld be the chassis/suspension tuning (which is hardly a factor) but the consumer/sport focus are more picky about handling than ever so. no susprises there V6 has its engin weight crammed in a tighter spot to enable the lazy way of making their cars/trucks/SUV/4x4 handles better (hence more sales)

its like this their bottom line is how its handles, computerised engine management isnt just for economy, but to cheat the 'timing problems' which plagued V6 for a LOOONG time....and the marketing/selling/demonstration models on showfloors had enable this 'issue' be forgotten, sales takes over memory...

urgh..
Bring back the bloody straight six, its home-freindly for DIY fixers....but NO...they certainly dont want that now...
:roll:

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Grummer, yea capitalism at its best. I wished we still have home friendly engines. It would be easy to work on them not needing a mechanic too often for basic stuff.

One possible reason why choose v6 over I6 is space under the hood on these front wheel drive. I am not sure if there is room to fit in I6 with tranny in it. I could be wrong, and I only mean for these front drive version vehicles. Other possibility is that companies may want to make one or two engine models for several different vehicle model line up, so their tooling cost would have been minimized.

Gotcha, I forget one thing is a long crankshaft... Good point. I'm out of ???? Right, they have more parts than I6...

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Grummer, yea capitalism at its best. I wished we still have home friendly engines. It would be easy to work on them not needing a mechanic too often for basic stuff.

exactly mate

One possible reason why choose v6 over I6 is space under the hood on these front wheel drive. I am not sure if there is room to fit in I6 with tranny in it. I could be wrong, and I only mean for these front drive version vehicles. Other possibility is that companies may want to make one or two engine models for several different vehicle model line up, so their tooling cost would have been minimized.

Use a big 4 cylinder and call it a day. V6 is just one of the worst engines ever made.

Again, I said it's emission issue. Blame to EPA. NOTHING do with space or room for car.

Nah, Everyone know that I6 is high emission than V6. Ford still make I6 for Ford Falcon in Australia, not USA. Same idea like Nissan Skyline (I6),

There is I6 for FWD like Volvo XC90 and My wife's VW Rabbit is I5 for FWD.

Nah, Everyone know that I6 is high emission than V6. Ford still make I6 for Ford Falcon in Australia, not USA. Same idea like Nissan Skyline (I6),

now now, those I6 are big, and as for Skylines, which most were turbo'ed that was the factor for being 'high emittors', got nothing to do with crankshalf/cylinders/pistons lay outs, its more to do with state of tune (high performance=high emissions).
exactly how do you explain a veee- 6 with 2 banks of 3 cyl each slanted towards a common crank got to do with emission???

EPA is political so in the regard you're half right, but so what, as common sense tells us, engine configuration has Nothing to do with tuning-levels,, EPA seem to me acted as an agent on behalf of federal governement to take control of what consumers allowed to buy, (and at some point render old cars to stay off the road (havent seen that happening much, but assure you it will happen ALOT soon, Id bet you(or anyone) that this has nothing to do with 'emissions' and more to do with reducing oil consumptions. Politics and regulations are always very clever at making people forget the REAL story.
I had a SKyline Turbo once it was sweet, easy on gas when driven normal , a nasty beast like an engine twice its size when foot slammed down hard, and it was a very smooth ride, V6's never made me happy, driven plenty of those, even a Lexus!...it sucked...

all in all ,v6 less emission than i6 = BULLSHIT
its technology used on those newer V6 that 'supposedly made v6 superior, now try do same with I6s (smaller one say same capacity, bet you'd never noticed any difference, aside from alot less time in the labs to get the tuning right in process of creating a ignition profile program for the EFI/cam controllers...I6's is just not in the 'flavour' come to think of it, longer bonnets means safer cars, if it hits someone the predestrain would less likely go into windscreen getting cut up, if just be a slam on the bonnet and s slide upm probably less fatality on this aspect too

sorry i dont agree with you highlander. as above is my take on the issues.
thats about it

now now, those I6 are big, and as for Skylines, which most were turbo'ed that was the factor for being 'high emittors', got nothing to do with crankshalf/cylinders/pistons lay outs, its more to do with state of tune (high performance=high emissions).
exactly how do you explain a veee- 6 with 2 banks of 3 cyl each slanted towards a common crank got to do with emission???

EPA is political so in the regard you're half right, but so what, as common sense tells us, engine configuration has Nothing to do with tuning-levels,, EPA seem to me acted as an agent on behalf of federal governement to take control of what consumers allowed to buy, (and at some point render old cars to stay off the road (havent seen that happening much, but assure you it will happen ALOT soon, Id bet you(or anyone) that this has nothing to do with 'emissions' and more to do with reducing oil consumptions. Politics and regulations are always very clever at making people forget the REAL story.
I had a SKyline Turbo once it was sweet, easy on gas when driven normal , a nasty beast like an engine twice its size when foot slammed down hard, and it was a very smooth ride, V6's never made me happy, driven plenty of those, even a Lexus!...it sucked...

all in all ,v6 less emission than i6 = BULLSHIT
its technology used on those newer V6 that 'supposedly made v6 superior, now try do same with I6s (smaller one say same capacity, bet you'd never noticed any difference, aside from alot less time in the labs to get the tuning right in process of creating a ignition profile program for the EFI/cam controllers...I6's is just not in the 'flavour' come to think of it, longer bonnets means safer cars, if it hits someone the predestrain would less likely go into windscreen getting cut up, if just be a slam on the bonnet and s slide upm probably less fatality on this aspect too

sorry i dont agree with you highlander. as above is my take on the issues.
thats about it

That's what I learned from class about emission.

I just googled up for double check.

Inline-6 vs. V6 | EClassBenz.com
Lower Emissions and Better Fuel Economy

Two spark plugs per cylinder that fire in sequence ensure a complete burn, which helps lower emissions and provide better gas mileage. The new 3-valve increases exhaust temperature which helps reduce emissions and increase efficiency.

Yes, I am agreed with you about oil consumptions but Chevy corvette is around 10QT of the oil for just OHV V8 with Dry-sump oiling system. Why EPA allows Corvette do that?

it would be anybody's guess, mine would be corporate bribery, for profits as they all know too well American and international markets still wants big block V8 sportscars...waived off... moreso its probably hardly ticking over at legal road speeds in other words jsut above idle so 'in this scenario' they would have argued emiision is 'low' but in reality every one knows no body buys a vette just to go to the supermarket :lol: so going pass That silly explanation, the best guess is corporate bribery, they'd call it something else, and probably processed in the chain of commands in such a way no body notices, except corporate lawyers and accountants and CEOs/CFOs and the likes everyone else dont really pick up on it...whats more those bigwigs considers this 'as legitimate business handling and looking after the corporations vitality in other words keeping the business going...kind of like 'if you cut off, there will ne not enough profit for the rest of the ranges to sustain the company'.

about v6, they could have done this 2 sparks, engine management on I6 and get even better results...lol

so, what about those Cleveland 351's? arent' they heavily built? they make great sounds (if you can hear some - i used to but these days i keep HA down when it comes to complext sounds due to tinnitus , no fun- i do actually missed those rumbling, tickering sounds of the cams, its incredible...
back to Cleveland, just wondering arent they CID or similar as high performance? OH sorry thats V8....

another great I6 is a Holden Torana GTR XU1, these came in 186 or 202...triple carbed...and bloody fast it can beat 351 windsors/clevelands around the tracks back in the early 1970's....quick cars!! looks good too, small and sporty with long bonnet (see? sports car with I6 so damn good)...

yup yup thanks Smogtech good replys...whew ok we're all talking about the same

Back