Inline 6 vs V6 (gasoline and diesel)

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Yea, my gf's step dad has a 2004 Chevy Colorado with 3.5 liter 5 cylinder. It has over 200k miles on it now. Just busted an alternator, its in shop to get it fixed.

You say 3.5L in 5 cylinder? Sounds big bore or long stroke to me. Oh f..king

so, what about those Cleveland 351's? arent' they heavily built? they make great sounds (if you can hear some - i used to but these days i keep HA down when it comes to complext sounds due to tinnitus , no fun- i do actually missed those rumbling, tickering sounds of the cams, its incredible...
back to Cleveland, just wondering arent they CID or similar as high performance? OH sorry thats V8....

another great I6 is a Holden Torana GTR XU1, these came in 186 or 202...triple carbed...and bloody fast it can beat 351 windsors/clevelands around the tracks back in the early 1970's....quick cars!! looks good too, small and sporty with long bonnet (see? sports car with I6 so damn good)...

yup yup thanks Smogtech good replys...whew ok we're all talking about the same thing lol
cheers

Yup, The hard parts from Ford 351W or 351C are more heavy than Chevy 350's hard parts. Just a tho

And Hummer 3 too.

I had a 2008 Hummer 3 here last Wednesday for a smog check, found out this vehicle has MIL on, review the RO paper (no DMV renewal paper) and check the license plate for tags. The tags on the plate, shows Sept and 2012. I informed a service writer about the MIL, and asked him Why smog check on a 2008 Hummer? Is it selling or transfer?. He double check with a customer (foreign accent), questioning her. He got it, misunderstand, she said smog check is MIL. He want me to go with diagnose DTCs, I pulled Code P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected, told a customer to take a SUV to a dealer for emission warranty because of low mileages (about 47K miles on it). Charged her $95 dollars for diag DTCs
BTW I actual know the 4.2L is In-line 6 until I found out sequoias and the highlander mentioned I5. I didn't pay attention to the heads of the COPs or fuel injectors. Dang I5 motors

I had a 2008 Hummer 3 here last Wednesday for a smog check, found out this vehicle has MIL on, review the RO paper (no DMV renewal paper) and check the license plate for tags. The tags on the plate, shows Sept and 2012. I informed a service writer about the MIL, and asked him Why smog check on a 2008 Hummer? Is it selling or transfer?. He double check with a customer (foreign accent), questioning her. He got it, misunderstand, she said smog check is MIL. He want me to go with diagnose DTCs, I pulled Code P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected, told a customer to take a SUV to a dealer for emission warranty because of low mileages (about 47K miles on it). Charged her $95 dollars for diag DTCs
BTW I actual know the 4.2L is In-line 6 until I found out sequoias and the highlander mentioned I5. I didn't pay attention to the heads of the COPs or fuel injectors. Dang I5 motors

You are not only the one. Some lube techs thought all Vortec engines are 6QTs. WTF. NO!

Oh LOL, it has nothing to do with engine cylinders. I am more of branded minded.

Your right Cummin refer to Dodge :) OF course not! I do not want Dodge after seeing my friend went though three transmissions on his RAM.

Seriously, I am glad I have this powerstroke truck with top of line luxury. It was never intended to go off road like FX4 does because I have back surgery and that truck been gentle on my neck! Whew! I had to ride in Cherokee on way home from Hospital and it was real bad! ow, ow, ow for an hour and half.

"I'd rather Strokin than Cummin!" because of transmission? Cummins do nothing with the transmission. It's Dodge's poor design of auto transmission, not Cummin. That's make sense if you said "I'd rather Ford than Dodge" That's why I thought you don't like I6.

;)

I know that Cummins are very good engine. Don't get me wrong. Overall, I love my Ford F-250. It appears to be moving to top of my best vehicle in my life in term of overall quality and comfort.

Few of my friends got F-250/350 PowerStroke Diesel and they all never had problem except one of my poor friend that bought his truck that USED to be commercial snow plow. He learn hard lesson, and it helps me decide forget the snow plow on my truck.

"I'd rather Strokin than Cummin!" because of transmission? Cummins do nothing with the transmission. It's Dodge's poor design of auto transmission, not Cummin. That's make sense if you said "I'd rather Ford than Dodge" That's why I thought you don't like I6.

Seen idiots at lube shop. Did once, they almost ruined my engine by forget to put coolant cap back on! So, I lost trust with them.

Lube shop pushed customers' car need flush engine. No, they are wrong. Honda dealer's service policy said not recommend flush engine. it can damage or kill engine and void warranty. It's fraud problem at lube shop.

engine-flush.gif

Torqueflite transmissions have few mechanical problems then Daimler Benz took a helm of the Chrysler plants, they chose ZF transmissions, that you talk about the ZF transmission problems? I don't know, maybe I search Chrysler transmission later.

You are not only the one. Some lube techs thought all Vortec engines are 6QTs. WTF. NO!

My Astro van engine is Vortec, using 5 qts, just slight overfill. Big engine 6.2L Vortec engine uses 6 to7 quarts of oil, depend on 2WD or 4WD vehicles with or without auxiliary oil cooler.
Yes that is true many novices at the quick lube shops, make mistakes for overfilled or wrong grade. I believe the modern lube shops have the specs of the oil capacity, weight and grade when the service writers input the vehicle's year/ maker/ model and VIN then computer will print out the spec papers and hand over to the lube technicians to read the specs and instruments before begins lube works

Seen idiots at lube shop. Did once, they almost ruined my engine by forget to put coolant cap back on! So, I lost trust with them.

Always happen to all the mechanics. I have to double check the caps are in the places before release the vehicles. That is about what the mechanics are doing their jobs. You trust a deaf mechanic or hearing mechanic? Which one? I bet you trust a deaf mechanic why? communicate in sign language.:cool2:

Lube shop pushed customers' car need flush engine. No, they are wrong. Honda dealer's service policy said not recommend flush engine. it can damage or kill engine and void warranty. It's fraud problem at lube shop.

engine-flush.gif

We don't sell customer the engine flushing job because of the shop's liable for the engine damaged by the flushing process. What I like to see the engine is.. knocking or rod out... means the engine replacement needed that is what I want the money.....

engine-flush.gif

Yeah, Honda doesn't even recommend flushing my car's auto tranny fluid. Just drain then fill, that's it. Have been doing this since and haven't had any issues and has 131k miles on it now.

Yeah, Honda doesn't even recommend flushing my car's auto tranny fluid. Just drain then fill, that's it. Have been doing this since and haven't had any issues and has 131k miles on it now.

what about manual tranmission fluid? just curious. i have never flush it since i didnt know honda doesnt recommend flushing. it sound like to save money from diy :)

Right, Hondas have very low oil flow and low pressure for the transmission coolers. All Honda transmissions have internal filters inside and can't serviceable until the transmission need to tear down for overhaul and replace new filter and new parts. JUST drain and refill. Not for every vehicles.

what about manual tranmission fluid? just curious. i have never flush it since i didnt know honda doesnt recommend flushing. it sound like to save money from diy :)

Manual transmission doesn't need flushing because of no torque converter and internal clutch plates. The drain plugs have built in magnet tip, use to trap metallic particles, and no harm to ball bearings. Best to drain your Honda manual transmission fluid is hot (after full warmed up or long trip), be careful with hot oil draining. I drained a 2003 Civic's manual tranny fluid and refill Honda manual trans fluid (smell like motor oil).

Torqueflite transmissions have few mechanical problems then Daimler Benz took a helm of the Chrysler plants, they chose ZF transmissions, that you talk about the ZF transmission problems? I don't know, maybe I search Chrysler transmission later.

I dunno, Ask DHB.

For me, I don't like any auto tranmission due poor fuel efficient, lost around 10hp, heavy weight, short-life and expensive.

Manual transmission doesn't need flushing because of no torque converter and internal clutch plates. The drain plugs have built in magnet tip, use to trap metallic particles, and no harm to ball bearings. Best to drain your Honda manual transmission fluid is hot (after full warmed up or long trip), be careful with hot oil draining. I drained a 2003 Civic's manual tranny fluid and refill Honda manual trans fluid (smell like motor oil).

How about double clutch transmission?

I dunno, Ask DHB.

For me, I don't like any auto tranmission due poor fuel efficient, lost around 10hp, heavy weight, short-life and expensive.

I did searching the Chrysler transmission like Torqueflites in transmission forum, found only one problem.... no reverse... Most troubled transmissions what I see is Ford Explorers with 4.0L and 4.6L. My wife's 2000 Explorer with a 5.0L V8 have no trouble with internal mechanical cuz of low RPM engines. Both 4.0L and 4.6L have high RPM (high horsepowers) makes the trans work hard overtimes, and need trans service annually. They (4.0L V6, 4.6L/5.0L V8) use same transmissions with different bellhousings.
2nd troubled trans... GM SUVs like Tahoes, pick ups with a 5.3L V8
3rd troubled Chrysler's FWD trans

Back