Inline 6 vs V6 (gasoline and diesel)

i agree with most youse, i think I6 is fantastic, built to last...and gives great power! i couldnt careless about 'less costly to make a v6' that bs , i think its only 'less costly to make an overall car -that is smaller done to shorter bonnet- i highly doubt its any cheaper to make a v6 engine, thiink of it more complex valve trains and extra cams...(4!) or even 2 against 1.

I6 was 'worked out' so well...so smooth and so linear power with an authoriabile power delivery.

heavy lump sure but a nice lump, its abit like heavy tits, but we all agree heavy tits are still nice right?
well its the same thing here....lol

Remember all those Chevy 2.8 litres in Cherokees? I think that was one of the worse V6s made for Jeeps. I seem to remember they were also available in S10 Blazers before 4.3 vortecs came out. I'm out of sync with 2010 vehicles. One of my friends has a Jeep Patriot. Cannot remember if Jeep still makes 4.0 now.....

Yup, I remmby the 2.8L V6 engine in the 1980's Jeeps. The GM 2.8L V6 engines were so awful and emitting large gross pollutes. The biggest problems in there were carburetors that I used to tuning the carburetors for a senior smog technician where I was an apprentice to became a smog tech in many years ago.

No 4.0L In-line 6 or V6 engines in 2012 Jeeps, used. Sad. Newer Jeep's engines are In-Line 4, V6 and V8, sizes: 2.0L, 2.4L, 3.6L, 3.7L, 5.7L and 6.4L.

Hey did you know that 2012 Jeep Compass use CVT transaxle with either 2.0L or 2.4L?

Yeah, I noticed that I6 uses more oil than V6

No, I never said that I rather V6 Diesel than V8 Diesel. Perhaps you were confused between my two vehicles :giggle: Cherokee is my wife's Vehicle and my wife finally got hang of driving my Diesel truck. She have no choice because I am not allowed to drive as per Dr. order and Cherokee is too rough for my back surgery. My truck is luxury and drives like Cadillac which takes easy on my back. Whew!

yea, like Nissan or Mitsubishi V6 engines with small oil capacity in the sumps (oil pans). I've seen more newer V6 engines are demanding synthetic oil to stand heat and long trip.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

I knew it about the pros on I6 engines. I don't care much on cars with shorter front end, its not much of a difference to me. BMWs still use I6 and even the new chevy trailblazers.

Cost factor doesn't make sense to me. If the straight 6 is simpler, why does it cost more to produce compared to more complex V6 engines?

The Chevy Colorado truck uses inline 5 cylinder instead of V6 as well.

In-line 5 engine in Chevy Colorado truck? I must be overlooked, has it here last weekend for LOF. Sorry over my head.

I never knew about that from gasoline. I don't like that idea for same side due pain in ass to repair in the tight space.

For Diesel engine, the intake manifolds and exhaust mainifolds are each of side.

I like the intake manifold on the bank side and the exhaust manifold on another bank side. I think its cross induct heads.
Did you see the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold in a newer BMW? If you think it is easy? No, Pain in the butts. The BMW In-line 6 engines are tucking deep under the cowl same as Ford trucks with 4.6 or 5.4L V8 engines to make the mechanics disguising. I like them for reason is money.

what about the trend of long bonnets? i hope its not fading.....long fronts have been cool for a long time, please manufactuerers dont kill it with short fronts it just look too gay lol, and ...not to mention deadly...

Oh LOL, it has nothing to do with engine cylinders. I am more of branded minded.

Your right Cummin refer to Dodge :) OF course not! I do not want Dodge after seeing my friend went though three transmissions on his RAM.

Seriously, I am glad I have this powerstroke truck with top of line luxury. It was never intended to go off road like FX4 does because I have back surgery and that truck been gentle on my neck! Whew! I had to ride in Cherokee on way home from Hospital and it was real bad! ow, ow, ow for an hour and half.

Oh really? You must confused yourself.
11111ki.png

Your words said "I'd rather Strokin than Cummin!"

Did you know that "strokin" is diesel V8 and Cummin is diesel I6?

Last model year used with I-6 4.0L robust engine is 2006 Jeep Wrangler. Last in 2001 Cherokee before Liberty took over.

Yup, I remmby the 2.8L V6 engine in the 1980's Jeeps. The GM 2.8L V6 engines were so awful and emitting large gross pollutes. The biggest problems in there were carburetors that I used to tuning the carburetors for a senior smog technician where I was an apprentice to became a smog tech in many years ago.

No 4.0L In-line 6 or V6 engines in 2012 Jeeps, used. Sad. Newer Jeep's engines are In-Line 4, V6 and V8, sizes: 2.0L, 2.4L, 3.6L, 3.7L, 5.7L and 6.4L.

Hey did you know that 2012 Jeep Compass use CVT transaxle with either 2.0L or 2.4L?

hey fellas im not just talking about toughness or jeeps im talking about sportscars with I6! like Skylines, Supras, or even V12s at the front.....Jaguar E types had I6s toom Ford Falcons have I6s and V8s (XR6 vs XR8, the XR8 never turbos and the XR6 Turbos beats their own fastest V8s...!)...and so on....

Im a huge straight 6 fan, we have a car here called the Ford Falcon which started life as a 144ci engine in the 60's, it has been modified and evolved by ford over the years and now the engine is 4lt and churning out 261 hp and 288 lb·ft in its factory base model form. Tuning companys have modified it to produce 1000hp and 740 lbft at 3500rpm (7200rpm redline) with a stock head excluding cams a valve springs.

If this isnt proof that the straight 6 is a formidible engine i dont know what will

Im a huge straight 6 fan, we have a car here called the Ford Falcon which started life as a 144ci engine in the 60's, it has been modified and evolved by ford over the years and now the engine is 4lt and churning out 261 hp and 288 lb·ft in its factory base model form. Tuning companys have modified it to produce 1000hp and 740 lbft at 3500rpm (7200rpm redline) with a stock head excluding cams a valve springs.

If this isnt proof that the straight 6 is a formidible engine i dont know what will

Same here, If I recall the Ford I6 sizes is 144, 170, 200, 240 and 300 CIDs. I've seen the vintage engines got new life to be product massive horsepowers by use today's high technology electronic devices.
The only forged steel crankshafts in Ford gasoline powered I6 engines is 300 CID, they are for Heavy Duty commercial vehicles like UPS panel trucks. The 240 engines are for Light Truck like vans and pickups and has cast iron crankshafts.

what about the trend of long bonnets? i hope its not fading.....long fronts have been cool for a long time, please manufactuerers dont kill it with short fronts it just look too gay lol, and ...not to mention deadly...

LOL, stupid engineers, (gay engineers?) You want a long bonnet? Try a vintage Jaguar XKE and show off to the females. (you know the Jaguar body looks alike.....)

hey fellas im not just talking about toughness or jeeps im talking about sportscars with I6! like Skylines, Supras, or even V12s at the front.....Jaguar E types had I6s toom Ford Falcons have I6s and V8s (XR6 vs XR8, the XR8 never turbos and the XR6 Turbos beats their own fastest V8s...!)...and so on....

Relax, I still read your posts. No complaints

I love the toyota supra's straight six. It got 320 hp with twin turbos and 220 hp with no turbo option. You can modify it to get lot more power with little internal mods. Its solid engine!

I love the toyota supra's straight six. It got 320 hp with twin turbos and 220 hp with no turbo option. You can modify it to get lot more power with little internal mods. Its solid engine!

MK4_supra_engine_bay.JPG

Aw, you love Toyota Supra's JZA80 engine? Yeah, I like it, too.

Same here, If I recall the Ford I6 sizes is 144, 170, 200, 240 and 300 CIDs. I've seen the vintage engines got new life to be product massive horsepowers by use today's high technology electronic devices.
The only forged steel crankshafts in Ford gasoline powered I6 engines is 300 CID, they are for Heavy Duty commercial vehicles like UPS panel trucks. The 240 engines are for Light Truck like vans and pickups and has cast iron crankshafts.

so, what about those Cleveland 351's? arent' they heavily built? they make great sounds (if you can hear some - i used to but these days i keep HA down when it comes to complext sounds due to tinnitus , no fun- i do actually missed those rumbling, tickering sounds of the cams, its incredible...
back to Cleveland, just wondering arent they CID or similar as high performance? OH sorry thats V8....

another great I6 is a Holden Torana GTR XU1, these came in 186 or 202...triple carbed...and bloody fast it can beat 351 windsors/clevelands around the tracks back in the early 1970's....quick cars!! looks good too, small and sporty with long bonnet (see? sports car with I6 so damn good)...

yup yup thanks Smogtech good replys...whew ok we're all talking about the same thing lol
cheers

Evo Dragon said:

MK4_supra_engine_bay.JPG

Aw, you love Toyota Supra's JZA80 engine? Yeah, I like it, too.

Yup one of the greatest engines ever made.

deafsmogtech said:

I knew it about the pros on I6 engines. I don't care much on cars with shorter front end, its not much of a difference to me. BMWs still use I6 and even the new chevy trailblazers.

Cost factor doesn't make sense to me. If the straight 6 is simpler, why does it cost more to produce compared to more complex V6 engines?

The Chevy Colorado truck uses inline 5 cylinder instead of V6 as well.

In-line 5 engine in Chevy Colorado truck? I must be overlooked, has it here last weekend for LOF. Sorry over my head.

Yea, my gf's step dad has a 2004 Chevy Colorado with 3.5 liter 5 cylinder. It has over 200k miles on it now. Just busted an alternator, its in shop to get it fixed.

Back