In the foot steps of Hear Again and typeing...

how did you go about learning braille?
I was still partially sighted so I taught myself the dot combinations and contractions through the Internet. Then I went around everywhere reading every single braille sign I could find via touch till I finally got the hang of it. I couldn't go past an ATM machine without reading the braille. <laugh>

I was still partially sighted so I taught myself the dot combinations and contractions through the Internet. Then I went around everywhere reading every single braille sign I could find via touch till I finally got the hang of it. I couldn't go past an ATM machine without reading the braille. <laugh>

<laugh>

i think it's awesome that you taught yourself braille and learned it before you became blind.

about how many words per minute can you read in braille and write on the perkins?

I do both pathetically slowly. <too embarrassed to give numbers>

Right now I mainly use text-to-speech software. I can read a few words pretty fast (for signs and so on) but would get so messed up trying to read a book at this point. I am waiting to move out of my parents' place to get some proper training in blindness skills.

What part of DC do u live in?

I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable posting anything more specific than D.C. on the Internet.

Ok..what do u dislike and like most about DC?

I live about 30 mins from DC. :)

Right now I mainly use text-to-speech software. I can read a few words pretty fast (for signs and so on) but would get so messed up trying to read a book at this point. I am waiting to move out of my parents' place to get some proper training in blindness skills.

i hope i didn't embarrass you by asking that question. what i always tell blind people learning braille is that accuracy comes first and speed comes second.

when you go for blindness training, will you attend an nfb center?

here are 3 questions i love to ask in these kinds of threads...

1. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one meal or type of food with you, what would it be and why?

2. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one person with you, who would it be and why?

3. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one object with you, what would it be and why?

Thanks everyone for asking questions! I'm enjoying answering and hope I'm not boring you to death. I hope some other people start threads because I love learning about people on AD. You are all very interesting people. <smile>

Very cool! What was your dissertation on? (I love psychology so you can get detailed if you want.)

Yes, exactly! I plan on going into this exact field, actually. I want to use this relationship to do diversity work by using language as an instrument for change in opinions about other social groups. <smile>

This should be right down your alley: The Influence of Linguistic and Cultural Differences in the Psychosocial Adjustment of the Deaf.

IMO, language is a powerful instrument for change...both positive and negative. It has the ability to determine the heuristics we apply to all groups and situations. A turn of phrase can determine the way we perceive anything and everything. One word can be the difference between tolerance and injustice.

Ok..what do u dislike and like most about DC?

I can tell you that I live within the diamond that is actually the D.C. area. (I don't live in MD or VA.) I like the fact that the Inauguration is in D.C. and all the political action is right at home for me! How about you?

Thanks everyone for asking questions! I'm enjoying answering and hope I'm not boring you to death. I hope some other people start threads because I love learning about people on AD. You are all very interesting people. <smile>

The "Ask Me" threads started about a year or so ago..tapered off and now, recently started again. I have never created one for myself. Dunno why..

What prompted u to learn ASL?

I can tell you that I live within the diamond that is actually the D.C. area. (I don't live in MD or VA.) I like the fact that the Inauguration is in D.C. and all the political action is right at home for me! How about you?

I love the museums, arts, dining, bars, and festivals in DC.

what i always tell blind people learning braille is that accuracy comes first and speed comes second.
That makes me feel better. Honestly, I don't know because I've never measured my reading speed. But I do go slowly enough so that I get good accuracy.
when you go for blindness training, will you attend an nfb center?
I really like the NFB website and philosophy, so I think so, yes.
1. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one meal or type of food with you, what would it be and why?
My favorite Persian dish: saffron chicken with dill rice. I love it and I can eat it for days straight (and have). Plus it's easy to make and I love making it.
2. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one person with you
Deafmedicalpoet! Love you, Deafmedicalpoet! (Seriously need to come up with a cute name that isn't your real name for AD)
3. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one object with you, what would it be and why?
My piano. Can't live without my piano.

Several years ago I had a room mate with RP. She loved to play cards, and had her deck marked in braille in the upper corner. She taught me to see thelight coming through the braille markings from across the table so I would always know what she had in her hand.:giggle: No one ever questioned the fact that she always insisted that she sit with the light to her back. (It allowed me to see the braille markings easier.) Needless to say, we were very hard to beat at cards, given the little cheat scheme we cooked up!:giggle:

I would give my left arm to attend the Inauguration this January!:giggle:

This should be right down your alley: The Influence of Linguistic and Cultural Differences in the Psychosocial Adjustment of the Deaf.

Ooh, thanks! I will definitely check it out. I hope they have it online...
I agree completely. A lot of our attitudes are couched in subtle phrasing, both because the phrasing leads to the attitudes and the attitudes lead to the phrasing. That is exactly my plan, is to take advantage of that connection to use the power of language for good, to hopefully help make positive social change through research.

Several years ago I had a room mate with RP. She loved to play cards, and had her deck marked in braille in the upper corner. She taught me to see thelight coming through the braille markings from across the table so I would always know what she had in her hand.:giggle: No one ever questioned the fact that she always insisted that she sit with the light to her back. (It allowed me to see the braille markings easier.) Needless to say, we were very hard to beat at cards, given the little cheat scheme we cooked up!:giggle:

<laughing>

The "Ask Me" threads started about a year or so ago
I think it's a great idea. People are interesting.
What prompted u to learn ASL?
I love learning languages, and ASL was another language, another challenge. And then I started dating Deafmedicalpoet, which gave me all the more reason to work on my ASL!

Back