"In-between"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This child has done well, because, she had/has the best of both worlds. This child can function well with just ASL or she can function well using speech if she chooses. That is what I support. The use of both.

and the thing is.....you're not saying that she has done well b/c of the mainstream. We all agree that she can function well with both ASL and or speech. That's not due to her educational environment. You'll see quite a few kids like your niece's friend in Deaf Schools/programs as WELL!

As do I....but OB, you're also missing that she's still relatively young. Even AB BAD superstars can and do struggle with incidental learning and social issues in middle and high school........

DD -- It is okay for you to say "AG Bell" rather than make up nicknames. Everybody here knows what you mean and it is easier for newer parents to know what exactly you mean when you refer to it by it's correct terminology. :)

Last edited:
DD -- It is okay for you to say "AG Bell" rather than make up nicknames. Everybody here knows what you mean and it is easier for newer parents to know what exactly you mean when you refer to it by it's correct terminology. :)

:ty: AlleyCat- I am learning a lot of abbreviations dealing with d/hh stuff but that is not one I had learned yet so you definitely helped clarify that post for me... I was a little stumped :).

:ty: AlleyCat- I am learning a lot of abbreviations dealing with d/hh stuff but that is not one I had learned yet so you definitely helped clarify that post for me... I was a little stumped :).

I didn't know either.

:lol:

That is the problem.

This too..

Much better to state you case without bashing others or expressing hate.

On the other hand Txgolfer do you HONESTLY know how bad the mainstream can be? What I mean by the mainstream is an inclusive setting. Yes, there are some children thriving in the mainstream, and having no real issues (ie social issues) but overall those kids are the type who would have done well even in say the '60's. I don't think that ALL dhh kids should attend Deaf School......but I honestly think that we need to stop assuming that an inclusive approach is some glorious utopia. We SHOULD offer it....but we need to be EXTREMELY careful about offering it. No, we shouldn't just limit dhh kids to Deaf School......but we also need to encourage strong formal dhh programs, like magnet programs. (so that kids get the best of both worlds) We also need to acknowledge that things can and do change educationally, and socially/emotionally around middle and high school, even for kids who appear to be scoring high on paper.
We need to be careful not to assume that inclusion should be the kneejerk placement. Unfortunatly it has been assumed that the Best Possible Placement is an inclusive placement.
If inclusion was done very carefully, I wouldn't bash it so much. I'm not bashing IT per se....I'm bashing that it's being used wrongly, and as a Universal Pancea.

I also believe you're not aware that AG Bell is extremely audist and has made MANY MANY MANY dhh children's lives miserable, b/c of its theory that a sole focus on oral training will somehow lead to assimulation into the Utopia of the Hearing World.

and regarding Deaf Schools....Yes, unfortunately they tend to score low on testing. However, it's a fact that even at schools that have overall low test scores, there do tend to be a significant subpopulation of strongly academic kids. Also, those kids CAN mainstream into schools that are experienced with teaching dhh kids....Like I remember a poster a while back who took Deaf Culture and a couple of other core courses at her Deaf School, but mainstreamed for other courses.....and of course kids in regional dhh or magnet programs can benefit strongly from courses for both deaf and hearing children.

On the other hand Txgolfer do you HONESTLY know how bad the mainstream can be? What I mean by the mainstream is an inclusive setting. Yes, there are some children thriving in the mainstream, and having no real issues (ie social issues) but overall those kids are the type who would have done well even in say the '60's. I don't think that ALL dhh kids should attend Deaf School......but I honestly think that we need to stop assuming that an inclusive approach is some glorious utopia. We SHOULD offer it....but we need to be EXTREMELY careful about offering it. No, we shouldn't just limit dhh kids to Deaf School......but we also need to encourage strong formal dhh programs, like magnet programs. (so that kids get the best of both worlds) We also need to acknowledge that things can and do change educationally, and socially/emotionally around middle and high school, even for kids who appear to be scoring high on paper.
We need to be careful not to assume that inclusion should be the kneejerk placement. Unfortunatly it has been assumed that the Best Possible Placement is an inclusive placement.
If inclusion was done very carefully, I wouldn't bash it so much. I'm not bashing IT per se....I'm bashing that it's being used wrongly, and as a Universal Pancea.

I also believe you're not aware that AG Bell is extremely audist and has made MANY MANY MANY dhh children's lives miserable, b/c of its theory that a sole focus on oral training will somehow lead to assimulation into the Utopia of the Hearing World.

No one has made any assumptions about the best possible placement. In fact we have encouraged parents to do their research. Let's try to be more positive. The parents asking these questions deserve that.

JadeSkye, for me it takes somewhere between 1 & 2 weeks to get my earmolds. My Audi has me set up an appt for 2 weeks after she takes the impressions.
Your Audi will have the HAs already pre-programmed based on your daughter's hearing test and will tweak it as necessary. It can take several visits to get HAs "just right".

We are certainly lucky to be at TSD but we still had to uproot our lives to move here. It doesn't matter... to be frank... If I had to choose between FSDB or a mainstream program for my child's early years... it's still THAT easy of a choice for me. Doesn't mean it's going to be a long-term destination either. It's an action that will have long term EFFECTS and THAT is where the message is getting lost somewhere in this thread. We have hopes of trying to get our son into a charter school in Austin fully taking advantage of the dual-enrollment opportunities... and we have ABSOLUTELY nothing bad to say about TSD.

We have a charter school here too (in Minnesota, where I live.) The deaf school is south of the metro area, and the charter school is right in the metro area. I have heard very positive things about the charter school. (In fact, the principal at the charter school was my very first teacher in preschool! :) ) I wonder for Jade if there are also charter schools near her. Also, in regards to FSDB, it would be cool if some of our other AD posters chime in about their experiences there. I can think of at least 3 AD'ers who are from FSDB.

I think she would benefit more from an actual class, because not only would she be learning things (like speech and language) but she would also be learning skills like interacting with other kids, rules in a classroom, etc (social skills).

I totally agree. Deaf children tend to be further behind in this area, especially when they do not have interaction with other d/Deaf children. It's not that I'm saying deaf kids must hang out with other deaf kids, but social interaction and graces come more difficult when it's 100% hearing interaction for a deaf child. I know that's not what you were addressing, but just wanted to emphasize I think it's great you are also factoring in social interaction into your decisions.

and the thing is.....you're not saying that she has done well b/c of the mainstream. We all agree that she can function well with both ASL and or speech. That's not due to her educational environment. You'll see quite a few kids like your niece's friend in Deaf Schools/programs as WELL!

Ofc, I'm not saying it's because of the mainstream. You're missing the point that I don't support oral only. I never have, so I guess the question becomes why are you arguing with me? I don't support the oral only route for the deaf/hoh. I never have, and that hasn't changed, so again, you're arguing with me because? :hmm:

Nobody has disagreed with you. Not once.

So, why is everyone arguing with me like I'm the bad guy just because I'm hearing? Seems rather biased considering I'm saying the exact same thing as some others here.

And to update on the actual "school issues" since that is kinda why I posted this to begin with:

I have set up to meet with someone at FSDB mid-March to do a tour and to talk about the school itself (what it offers, academics, etc.) to begin making a decision on what we will do for her for early intervention.

I also spoke with our local school district's ESE department. Since she is three they do not take her right into the school system, they referred me to a group called FDLERS/ ChildFind (can't remember what FDLERS stands for)- they are basically a group that does screenings and then sets you up with services. I spoke with the lady from FDLERS today and filled out paperwork for her to start seeing what was available. It sounds like they would be offering speech/language therapy that would come to our home once a week. To be honest, at this point that does not seem like as good of an option to me as sending her to FSDB does. Someone working with her once a week vs. a classroom with other kids and language services (whether that is ASL or speech therapy of some sort) seems like a bit of a no-brainer. I think she would benefit more from an actual class, because not only would she be learning things (like speech and language) but she would also be learning skills like interacting with other kids, rules in a classroom, etc (social skills). I know this probably sounds like my mind is made up already, but I am still keeping it open until I have all the information I feel I need (which should be by the end of March because we will have toured FSDB and had a chance to ask them questions and I would hope we will have heard something more from FDLERS/ChildFind on what they have available).

On a really positive note: we also have an appointment scheduled for March (gosh, that is going to be a busy month!) for her to see her ENT and audiologist again and have her ear molds made!! I don't know how long it takes to actually GET the hearing aids once they make the molds, but I am hoping that this means it won't be long before she has hearing aids! :)

Yes, I agree that an actual class where a rich language environment is happening is better than an one-on-one session with a speech therapist. My hearing son had a speech therapist come to my house once a week but it was his going to a deaf babysitter with other children who used ASL that helped with his language growth. His speech was delayed but his language development wasnt. Now, he is 7 years old and his speech skills are fine. He is fluent in both ASL and English. The teachers noted that he is very good at abstract thinking and is way ahead of his peers on that skill. The pychologist said it was because of his exposure to ASL as it is a picture language. I thought that was interesting.

So, why is everyone arguing with me like I'm the bad guy just because I'm hearing? Seems rather biased considering I'm saying the exact same thing as some others here.

Nobody's arguing with you. You waltzed in here belittling others. It is your attitude and approach (which by the way is very common hence why Deaf folks get frustrated) that limits us... because your exposure is limited to your five year old niece's friend's experience. You've got the right idea but there are some things that you lack (or refuse) the ability to understand. You also spread a lot of misguided information while defending your assertion...

Oceanbreeze said:
However, there are those students WHO would do well in an oral only environment. I've seen such a child.

In which you followed up with...

Oceanbreeze said:
I may not be, but, I will tell you something, Sweetie. I have seen children with PROFOUND losses do well in the mainstream environment.

Did your experience with the education of the Deaf all of a sudden grow from a child into children between posts? Lol.

How about your low-wage and SSI jab for example? MOST DEAF CHILDREN ARE MAINSTREAMED. BY FAR BY FAR BY FAR. How is this a factor in education at Deaf schools? Just reeks of another person not understanding the where exactly the barrier line and the education lines collide and ultimately cross paths with Deaf people.

Fact: You have made up stuff to overstate a point. Your credibility is nil. Zil. Zip. Zilch. A big fat zero.

I still welcome you into our world. I just think you have some personal enlightening to do on the problems that the Deaf communities encounter on a daily basis before you go giving condescending advice.

:wave:

Nobody's arguing with you. You waltzed in here belittling others. It is your attitude and approach (which by the way is very common hence why Deaf folks get frustrated) that limits us... because your exposure is limited to your five year old niece's friend's experience. You've got the right idea but there are some things that you lack (or refuse) the ability to understand. You also spread a lot of misguided information while defending your assertion...

In which you followed up with...

Did your experience with the education of the Deaf all of a sudden grow from a child into children between posts? Lol.

How about your low-wage and SSI jab for example? MOST DEAF CHILDREN ARE MAINSTREAMED. BY FAR BY FAR BY FAR. How is this a factor in education at Deaf schools? Just reeks of another person not understanding the where exactly the barrier line and the education lines collide and ultimately cross paths with Deaf people.

Fact: You have made up stuff to overstate a point. Your credibility is nil. Zil. Zip. Zilch. A big fat zero.

I still welcome you into our world. I just think you have some personal enlightening to do on the problems that the Deaf communities encounter on a daily basis before you go giving condescending advice.

:wave:

Well, unless her niece had deaf friends..... :hmm:

Well, unless her niece had deaf friends..... :hmm:

Her niece wasn't Deaf! It's her niece's Deaf friend! Singular... unless she'd like to change that to plural. It's not like she hasn't done it before.

I edited.

I see no reason to continue this negativity. Lets take our focus off of other posters and oneupsmanship and try to focus on the issue. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back