"In-between"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was. JadeSkye is looking for advice from those who may have some solid advice to offer. OB comes off as of the very sort that we have been trying to unhitch from our community. The only people I've seen being vindictive are the hearies who THINK they're involved. A friend of a friend's daughter is just silly. That's not what I'd call involved and gives them NO merit in passing on advice. It's just somebody spewing random nonsense. No more backwards thinking. In the name of progress is our only intent.

*shrugs*

It is the backwards thinking that continues to hurt us and divide us.

But yet, she attacked me for sharing my experiences and opinions. Hmmmmm :hmm:

Attacked? No one attacked you. I merely pointed out that there's a lot of bitterness on this forum and there is.

Attacked? No one attacked you. I merely pointed out that there's a lot of bitterness on this forum and there is.

No, you said:

But, at which point do people move on from the their crappy experiences instead of reliving them over and over again like I've seen on this forum? It kind of paints certain deaf people as being bitter and with a chip on their shoulder.

Sorry you feel our experiences are nothing but bitterness and chips on our shoulders. We're actually relaying experiences so parents know positives and negatives. Which is a hell of a lot more than you can do.

Yeah .. you're definitely part of the deaf community. :roll: No one in the Deaf community treats others as you have here. Deaf people show others respect for their experiences, "crappy or not".

No, you said:

Sorry you feel our experiences are nothing but bitterness and chips on our shoulders. We're actually relaying experiences so parents know positives and negatives. Which is a hell of a lot more than you can do.

Yeah .. you're definitely part of the deaf community. :roll: No one in the Deaf community treats others as you have here. Deaf people show others respect for their experiences, "crappy or not".

Thank you...

That is the post where I felt I was being attacked for sharing my feelings and experiences. Something I didn't appreciate. If she doesn't like being attacked or criticized, then she needs practice what she preaches.

No, you said:

If people want to take what I said and apply it to themselves, that's on them. It just proves the point I've been making all along. I've not disrespected anyone other than to say that bitterness and anger permeates this forum. I say that because it does. Bitterness and anger is also no way to promote advocacy for children. You have to set that aside and advocate for the unique circumstances of EACH child. A one size fits all placement isn't going to work for everybody. Being a good advocate means looking at each child's unique abilities and family situation and coming up with a solution that works for that child.

Thank you...

That is the post where I felt I was being attacked for sharing my feelings and experiences. Something I didn't appreciate. If she doesn't like being attacked or criticized, then she needs practice what she preaches.

I'm not offended or upset. *shrug*

If people want to take what I said and apply it to themselves, that's on them. It just proves the point I've been making all along. I've not disrespected anyone other than to say that bitterness and anger permeates this forum. I say that because it does. Bitterness and anger is also no way to promote advocacy for children. You have to set that aside and advocate for the unique circumstances of EACH child. A one size fits all placement isn't going to work for everybody. Being a good advocate means looking at each child's unique abilities and family situation and coming up with a solution that works for that child.

Sub-forum is "Our World, Our Culture". Ergo, you have proved nothing and you have disrespected plenty. If you can't see that... that's okay. There's a pretty good vlog out right now. Find it on the boards. While you watch it, we'll keep fighting and we'll keep watching our numbers grow at the schools. It's all good.

:cool:

sub-forum is "our world, our culture". Ergo, you have proved nothing and you have disrespected plenty. If you can't see that... That's okay. There's a pretty good vlog out right now. Find it on the boards. While you watch it, we'll keep fighting and we'll keep watching our numbers grow at the schools. It's all good.

:d

Sub-forum is "Our World, Our Culture". Ergo, you have proved nothing and you have disrespected plenty. If you can't see that... that's okay. There's a pretty good vlog out right now. Find it on the boards. While you watch it, we'll keep fighting and we'll keep watching our numbers grow at the schools. It's all good.

Actually, the bold is an example of what she is talking about I think. No offense intended, but it sounds like the statement of a person with a chip on their shoulder. Miffed, if you will. It is divisive. The comment implies that someone "loses" if deaf schools grow. It would be one thing if the debate here were deaf schools vs. mainstream education. It's not. The sides here are "deaf schools no matter what" vs the neutral position of "weigh your options." Not one person has argued against deaf schools and not one person here wishes ill toward deaf schools. I am pretty sure all of us applaud successful deaf schools.

The vlog is really good. I watched it earlier, and I recommend everyone watch it. Very informative.

Actually, the bold is an example of what she is talking about I think. No offense intended, but it sounds like the statement of a person with a chip on their shoulder. Miffed, if you will. It is divisive. The comment implies that someone "loses" if deaf schools grow. It would be one thing if the debate here were deaf schools vs. mainstream education. It's not. The sides here are "deaf schools no matter what" vs the neutral position of "weigh your options." Not one person has argued against deaf schools and not one person here wishes ill toward deaf schools. I am pretty sure all of us applaud successful deaf schools.

None taken. No chip on my shoulder when it comes to the credibility of someone who knows somebody who has a deaf kid. Just firmly correcting a very "limited" knowledge that's being passed to someone who's trying to make a life changing decision. True, it leaves an unpleasant stench on the back of my throat. That should be reasonably understandable.

You see it as a chip, I see it as my path to empowerment. I'm here to talk and work with others... and I think I've well-demonstrated that. I have no issues with you and think you have done a much better of a job of bringing your position to the table. My beef's with the yippie-kay-ay yuppie who started spouting condescending "dearie" or "sweetie" comments.

Benefit vs success is what's being argued and nobody sees that. Why? I don't know. Maybe we've done a poor job of showing that but rest assured, I will keep trying to find a way to better explain it. There's a pretty good vlog that just hit the stickies here that might be on the right path.

The vlog is really good. I watched it earlier, and I recommend everyone watch it. Very informative.

I watched it twice. It was better the second time I watched it. Very powerful and a very corroborative and genuine effort to merge the two worlds.

Would love to hear an explanation of:

(It was in response to my post even when I didn't say anything about residential schools.)

The :ugh: says it all.

That's where I got the impression that deaf schools were hated by certain people here.

It is like saying, " Spam, :ugh:"

Would love to hear an explanation of:

(It was in response to my post even when I didn't say anything about residential schools.)

The :ugh: says it all.

:dunno: We will have to wait for her to answer. But, I do think it is possible to be a fan of deaf schools without being a fan of residential schools.

Not the point, TX. Deaf schools are deaf schools. Residential or not.

:dunno: We will have to wait for her to answer. But, I do think it is possible to be a fan of deaf schools without being a fan of residential schools.

Most deaf schools are residential schools.

What AlleyCat said...the point is that some of us share our opinions and we get comments like these from this particular poster and a few others. It seems like they are resentful of the fact that many of us have bad experiences being mainstreamed and want to share our experiences.

None taken. No chip on my shoulder when it comes to the credibility of someone who knows somebody who has a deaf kid. Just firmly correcting a very "limited" knowledge that's being passed to someone who's trying to make a life changing decision. True, it leaves an unpleasant stench on the back of my throat. That should be reasonably understandable.

You see it as a chip, I see it as my path to empowerment. I'm here to talk and work with others... and I think I've well-demonstrated that. I have no issues with you and think you have done a much better of a job of bringing your position to the table. My beef's with the yippie-kay-ay yuppie who started spouting condescending "dearie" or "sweetie" comments.

Benefit vs success is what's being argued and nobody sees that. Why? I don't know. Maybe we've done a poor job of showing that but rest assured, I will keep trying to find a way to better explain it. There's a pretty good vlog that just hit the stickies here that might be on the right path.

That is all any of us can do. I am all 100% empowering deaf kids and making sure their transition to adulthood is smoother than the generation before.

Not the point, TX. Deaf schools are deaf schools. Residential or not.

Most deaf schools are residential schools.

What AlleyCat said...the point is that some of us share our opinions and we get comments like these from this particular poster and a few others. It seems like they are resentful of the fact that many of us have bad experiences being mainstreamed and want to share our experiences.

Like I said, I will let her answer.

I certainly don't mind that you share your experiences. In fact, I learn more each time I read them and I certainly think they are beneficial. However, I think it is great when the opposing viewpoint is expressed as well. I think that is what parents come here for.....information and pros/cons. These parents will benefit more if we can provide them both sides and let them decide rather than trying to convince them that one way is right and the other way is wrong. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back