I'm Profoundly Deaf, So what???

kashveera

Reaction score
HI guys...

This is my first post, and I want to say this forum rocks!!

Anyway, I have seen many people are either negative or positive about their disability, but guys, theres so much to do out ther so much to live for, its awesome, the life out there is so beautiful, don't let your deafness hamper it!!

By the way, while I am hear, I'd like to share my life story, maybe it will inspire deaf people to strive more harder!

Guys, I am studying second year, Bcom(Acc), in a normal university, I matriculated with a distinction in 2004, I even have a bursary and a signed contract to work in a top accounting firm, I have even been awarded membership of the GOLDEN KEY INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY, where the top 15% of the university's top students are rewarded for academic excellence.

I have my drivers licence, I go out for dinner with normal friends, I act in plays in front of normal people, most of them don't know that I am deaf.

I am armed with two hearing aids, and an immense knowledge of lip-reading, and that what allows me to take the world in my stride.

Looking for some cool replies.

Kashveera

Kashveera!
You're in good company! I'm on the advanced track at my hs (where I'm the only deafie) , taking college classes for credit, and I have a driver's licence as well as a part-time J-O-B...
While you like the ammo of HAs, I prefer the nuclear option...CIs.
Just wondering, are you a total communicator or what?
I'm oral myself, with so-so ASL skills. I do speak Spanish--when everyone around me said it would be impossible for me to learn another language.
Hell, Spanish's easier than English...

Welcome to AllDeaf...
Apearently you've allready been lurking here... excellent..

C U later

Hi

I wear two digital aids,too. I'm hoh not total deaf but I highly depend on lip reading and cannot completely understand speech without it. Deafness has different 'arms'. Some are good and some are bad. Sometimes I get worn out with deafness and other times it offers me a different look of life .

HI guys...

This is my first post, and I want to say this forum rocks!!

Anyway, I have seen many people are either negative or positive about their disability, but guys, theres so much to do out ther so much to live for, its awesome, the life out there is so beautiful, don't let your deafness hamper it!!

By the way, while I am hear, I'd like to share my life story, maybe it will inspire deaf people to strive more harder!

Guys, I am studying second year, Bcom(Acc), in a normal university, I matriculated with a distinction in 2004, I even have a bursary and a signed contract to work in a top accounting firm, I have even been awarded membership of the GOLDEN KEY INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY, where the top 15% of the university's top students are rewarded for academic excellence.

I have my drivers licence, I go out for dinner with normal friends, I act in plays in front of normal people, most of them don't know that I am deaf.

I am armed with two hearing aids, and an immense knowledge of lip-reading, and that what allows me to take the world in my stride.

Looking for some cool replies.

Kashveera

:welcome: To All Deaf Kashveera!! Interesting story about yourself. Congradulations on all of your accomplishments.:deal: Enjoy your stay here & have fun posting:)

Kashveera!
You're in good company! I'm on the advanced track at my hs (where I'm the only deafie) , taking college classes for credit, and I have a driver's licence as well as a part-time J-O-B...
While you like the ammo of HAs, I prefer the nuclear option...CIs.
Just wondering, are you a total communicator or what?
I'm oral myself, with so-so ASL skills. I do speak Spanish--when everyone around me said it would be impossible for me to learn another language.
Hell, Spanish's easier than English...

Awesome stuff, sometimes I think we deafie's are more advanced than normal people...(no offence but in my family I have achieved the most with my disability!!) Well, I'm so glad you aren't taking your deafness like the whole stigma thing!! I am totally ruled out for CI's because I have a tremendous ear problem and all my infections render CI's inappropriate for me!! I am a total communicator, I am in a totally normal environment even though I'm totally deaf!! Well, oral is for me, I feel truly blessed to have it!! I have Afrikaans as my second language so its rather cool, and I speak a bit of Hindi and Zulu which is the languages at home!! (btw learning another language is fun!!)

Have a great day!!

Kashveera

Thanks Cloggy!!

Welcome to AllDeaf...
Apearently you've allready been lurking here... excellent..

C U later

I have had so much fun here, its unbelievable, I think I have a lot to offer, and believe you me, I found this site only today, wish I had found it earlier. I have accepted my deafness, and in this regard it has fuelled a desire within me to help other deafies!!

Will c you as well!

Kashveera

Hi!!

Hi

I wear two digital aids,too. I'm hoh not total deaf but I highly depend on lip reading and cannot completely understand speech without it. Deafness has different 'arms'. Some are good and some are bad. Sometimes I get worn out with deafness and other times it offers me a different look of life .

Awesome, I have analogue hearing aids, I am a bit backward!! (can't help it-South Africa's a third-world country)-hopefully, we will be fine by 2010-Hope to see you guys at the Soccer World Cup in 2010!! Anyway, I have a company sponsoring my studies at the moment, and with the extra, I am saving for digital Hearing Aids-getting there but slowly!!

Oh I lipread as well, its helps me in times of crisis, when my batteries die and then i am totally lost!!

I have always been the optomist and the postive kind, so I always think of a situation of how I being deaf can interpert it and look at it in a new way, its frustrating at times, but then I have always tried to be the best that I can, because if you think about it, we are always the people trying to better ourselves, and make ourselve's capable of doing things!! When we exceed ourselves, we can be so proud!!!

Looking forward to seeing you around!!

Kashveera

Thanks!!

:welcome: To All Deaf Kashveera!! Interesting story about yourself. Congradulations on all of your accomplishments.:deal: Enjoy your stay here & have fun posting:)

Oh I am having great fun, you can see that already, as I am a bit young, I have so much to share and so much experiences, because I am rather independent, I have had some amazing experiences!! Thanks a lot, you guys really motivate me and make me want to achieve even more!!

Thanks will have a blast here

Kashveera

Hey there

i am profoundly deaf too

so welcome to AD

Yeah, I am feeling very welcome, thanks! Nice to know you are profoundly deaf like me!! Hope you are having equal fun as I am!!

Well, I missed Steve Irwin too, I liked his crocodile hunter thing...Above all, I'd never let a single snake or crocodile near me!!

Have fun like me!!

Kashveera

Thanks!!

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD :)

I don't get the language, but I think I am intelligent enough to figure out that was a welcome (I know I'm a bit like a show-off here, but I'm so excited) I know you guys will share my excitement!!

Kashveera

You are very welcome. I think its great that people that are deaf & have other disibilities can show & prove other people wrong that they can do things rather they have problems or not. I've worked with so many people with disibilities since high school. I probably should have made a career out of it because I enjoyed it so much. But its ok, I enjoy what I do now. Since high school though & so many people I worked with. I was so amazed at what they could really do. Before then I used to make fun of them. Which I regret, but I make up for it everyday somehow someway.

Oh I am having great fun, you can see that already, as I am a bit young, I have so much to share and so much experiences, because I am rather independent, I have had some amazing experiences!! Thanks a lot, you guys really motivate me and make me want to achieve even more!!

Thanks will have a blast here

Kashveera

You are very welcome. I think its great that people that are deaf & have other disibilities can show & prove other people wrong that they can do things rather they have problems or not. I've worked with so many people with disibilities since high school. I probably should have made a career out of it because I enjoyed it so much. But its ok, I enjoy what I do now. Since high school though & so many people I worked with. I was so amazed at what they could really do. Before then I used to make fun of them. Which I regret, but I make up for it everyday somehow someway.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I've been told that I have made more normal people deaf aware! Its awesome, to know that you can make a difference, and really, I love educating people making them more deaf aware, I love the whole idea, of making deaf people feel welcomed!! I enjoy being with deaf people, because we got the spirit, and yes we do!!

Kashveera

Back