I'm going to USA!

Looks like you have a lot of free time and a big bill to cover your traveling plans. I thought you were coming to the United States to work? If you are traveling alone and have a good head on your shoulders, you just might be able to pull it all off. Oh, bring lots of extra cash in case the job does not work out.

Good luck.

I say skip B.C. - You lose your right to free speech once you cross that line from the land of the free.

British Columbia? Why? I thought free speech is prohibited in Washington DC?

Nah that is from the world map website, not bing. It inbuilt google software.

Yes heck of a trip! I will save plenty money from working full time between 30th November to 14th April! 32+ hours per week = benefits!

Oh right. Are they good? Like Optus?
At&T is one of the biggest like Telstra - one of the main, avoid t-mobile at all. Verizon's good too though. I'd recommend you not to bring your own mobile number or you will be racking up massive bills so best to get a shit cell phone in the U.S and a U.S number (#) for the time being otherwise if you have a iPhone, you'll be right with a prepaid SIM with AT&T. When I was in the U.S, my friend lent me a sidekick 3 (look it up on google) with $30 unlimited text/email/internet a month (which no longer exists today) which I found very useful :)

I have HTC andriod phone. So is that same conditions like Iphone? I am bringing my phone over. Im trying to figure out what I can do with sim card or not. Wifi is everywhere in US? Get international sim card?

Matty, you might want to check what sort of phone networks you have in Australia... when I came back to Canada my friend warned me that my UK iPhone was GSM and would only work with a Canadian GSM network like Rogers, many of the other networks were CDMA and would NOT work with my GSM phone. Wikipedia is a place to start...

Or you can just buy a craptastic phone and SIM card once you get to the US.

T-mobile supports international GSM phones:

Support: On Which Bands Can I Use My Phone?

Those are for GSM EDGE (2G bands), which is the one most people do not like being on for internet. It's the equivalent of waiting 10+ seconds for a regular google search to finish loading up the first page.

Matty is going to need to look at his 3G bands.

Australia uses the 850 band for UMTS(3G)/HSPA(3.5G). That's AT&T here or SmarTalk for prepaid, they use 850/1900 bands. Problem is when you get into a 1900-only area, you won't be able to get 3G internet speeds, you'll only be on 2G. For AT&T, most big cities/states are 850/1900, smaller cities can be 850 or 1900 only.

T-mobile doesn't carry your phone's 3G band unless your phone model is multiband. What kind of HTC do you have?

Don't worry about your SIM card, leave it at home. Get a U.S number and use it for the time being while you're in the U.S as it saves you a lot of money. You can use the android however just as long it is unlocked.

Incredible S, the newest edition that I bought last December.

Oh, that's cool. That's funny because I do rooted development for the Incredible S on XDA.
I'm guessing you use Virgin mobile or Yes! Optus for your carrier? Not Mobicity or Telestra, right?

If this is right, your 3G carrier is actually T-Mobile. I think it works like this:

Mobicity: 2G: all, 3G: 850mhz
Optus: 2G: all, 3G: 900 & 2100mhz
Virgin: Same as Optus.

USA:
AT&T: 2G: all, 3G: 850 & 1900 mhz
T-mobile: 2G: all, 3G: 1700 & 2100mhz

So in the USA:
2G/GSM both AT&T and T-mobile are fine
3G frequency you will need to use T-mobile, AT&T won't support that model.

Back