If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

I appreciate your apology.

Also I appreciate your happiness with being able to hear and I understand that it does a lot. The part that bothers me about CI's in general is that the marketing is centered strongly on the "Deaf can't" without the ci's.

That's where the resistance comes in from, not the individual experiences like yours.

But again, I appreciate your apology.

Couldnt agree with you more on that one.

Also I appreciate your happiness with being able to hear and I understand that it does a lot. The part that bothers me about CI's in general is that the marketing is centered strongly on the "Deaf can't" without the ci's.

That's where the resistance comes in from, not the individual experiences like yours.

Agree with that totally.:gpost:

Agree!!

Yes. Being able to hear is awesome. Heck, I love being able to hear with my hearing aids. But yeah the hearing aid and CI marketing is strongly centered on the "Deaf can't be functional " without CI or HA. I can function very well without my HA.....b/c I can SIGN and speechread!

Wirelessly posted

It is true... I enjoy my life the most of time without HAs until I chose to wear mine. I really don't feel so broken or my life is useless without CIs or HAs.

So yes, I don't get it. Why do I must to wear them? I hate it when people encourage me to get one...

I like to hear sometimes and I like not having to hear. Pls dont CURE me! I want and need my deafness. :lol:

Yes. Being able to hear is awesome. Heck, I love being able to hear with my hearing aids. But yeah the hearing aid and CI marketing is strongly centered on the "Deaf can't be functional " without CI or HA. I can function very well without my HA.....b/c I can SIGN and speechread!

For me, I can't function in my normal everyday life without implants
Experience: My implant for my right just broke recently and today is my 13th day without any hearing devices.
Since I am 16, I have to continue going to school, mainstream. I have NO knowledgeable in sign lanague or can read lips... let me tell you something... My life in the past few weeks have been very depressing. I been relying on people typing or writing or even texting me to communicate with me. The school is now allowing me to text anytime (in order communicate) with all of my teachers and friends. I had to drop a few classes yesterday because they were all talking classes (business communications lol). I am falling behind in math and English due to the fact that I DONT KNOW what is going on.
I have been depending on CI for all my life and I just don't see how I can function in mainstream without any hearing help...

edit: not trying to say CI is a must in life. Just saying that i have depended on it so much that in my everyday life now is not easy without CI help.
I have nothing against those who do not want CI, Its your life how you want to live it.

It's my opinion is that relying on something so technology is pretty dangerous FOR ME! I rather be relying on something so natural that would not make my life upside down. Like, I rely on computer too excessive, and computer onlne went off and I feel weird without it. I can image how hard if it were a CI that wasn't working. O_o

bbaseballboy123.. you should be able to get a cart for your classes. that is someone that types out the words that are being said... If i were you I would get my mom down to the school and get them on this asap.. before you get father behind...you are entitled under ada laws...

It's my opinion is that relying on something so technology is pretty dangerous FOR ME! I rather be relying on something so natural that would not make my life upside down. Like, I rely on computer too excessive, and computer onlne went off and I feel weird without it. I can image how hard if it were a CI that wasn't working. O_o

I agree. It not good idea to reply on technology too much and make you feel bad when it break down. Same with CI. I think it is good idea if people try learn get by without CI for few hours at weekend maybe so if the day comes in future that their CI failed or broken or other reason, then you won't panic and feel so bad because you know you can do it without CI. It same with hearing aids too.

I had friend wore HA and she relied on it SO much and when her HA was broken down cos of bad heavy rain, she had to do without it for 2 weeks. She was very panic, worried, scared and sad. I had to support her through this and teach her how to cope with HA, in end she was glad she had this experience so prepare her if it happened again in future.

Experience: My implant for my right just broke recently and today is my 13th day without any hearing devices.
Since I am 16, I have to continue going to school, mainstream. I have NO knowledgeable in sign lanague or can read lips... let me tell you something... My life in the past few weeks have been very depressing. I been relying on people typing or writing or even texting me to communicate with me. The school is now allowing me to text anytime (in order communicate) with all of my teachers and friends. I had to drop a few classes yesterday because they were all talking classes (business communications lol). I am falling behind in math and English due to the fact that I DONT KNOW what is going on.
I have been depending on CI for all my life and I just don't see how I can function in mainstream without any hearing help...

edit: not trying to say CI is a must in life. Just saying that i have depended on it so much that in my everyday life now is not easy without CI help.
I have nothing against those who do not want CI, Its your life how you want to live it.

Perils of the system.... Curious - why not learn ASL?

No one knows Asl around here. I only have a very few deaf friends which 1 of them does know Asl but rarely do i ever talk to her.

Small town I take it?

Lets take it this way - why learn ASL to talk to other deaf people, why not do it for yourself?

I mean... You can take classes in High School for ASL. Maybe not in your location though.

Deaf people are everywhere - Just need to know where to seek. I could help you finding them if you want.

That although it was nice of Ron to apologize. However, let's be a little constructive here. And that in fairness to Ron, there were also times that those Ron supposedly apologized to, didn't always exactly "play along nicely either...". IMHO.

It appears that you are 100% dependent on the technology itself. You are not skilled in lipreading at all. You cannot sign at all. It's evident that you need to learn to work around these barriers of yours.

You need to get in touch with the administration and demand a CART immediately or any accommodations necessary to meet your needs. Going on two weeks without a way to participate in the classroom is too long.

Don't wait, get what you need. NOW.

As a wide spread problem for recently deafen persons- not knowing anyone in their social circle- who uses ASL, thus the reluctance to learn.

Just the situation above-bbaseballboy123 living in Connecticut to mine living in Toronto way back in 1997. Does indicate how few persons actually used ASL?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

As a wide spread problem for recently deafen persons- not knowing anyone in their social circle- who uses ASL, thus the reluctance to learn.

Just the situation above-bbaseballboy123 living in Connecticut to mine living in Toronto way back in 1997. Does indicate how few persons actually used ASL?

No one knows Asl around here. I only have a very few deaf friends which 1 of them does know Asl but rarely do i ever talk to her.

you rarely talk to her? well...

she knows ASL. you don't know ASL.

Um, you live in Toronto... there are plenty of people who are fluent in ASL living in the city.

Back