If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

It appears that you are 100% dependent on the technology itself. You are not skilled in lipreading at all. You cannot sign at all. It's evident that you need to learn to work around these barriers of yours.

You need to get in touch with the administration and demand a CART immediately or any accommodations necessary to meet your needs. Going on two weeks without a way to participate in the classroom is too long.

Don't wait, get what you need. NOW.

I am indeed 100% dependent on CI. I am working very hard to lip read now...

As far as accommodations, its not just 2 weeks... this will go on for another 6-10 weeks until I can hear again. I got a notetaker and teachers are helping me with giving me pages to read

As far as accommodations, its not just 2 weeks... this will go on for another 6-10 weeks until I can hear again. I got a notetaker and teachers are helping me with giving me pages to read

You need someone to do live interpreting while you are in the class in order to participate.

WOW! :shock:

Get rid of everything you've learned. NOW is the time you become a MAN.

I would demand CART. What is the point of sitting in the class when you twiddle around and get notes and reading materials. I'd be out doing other things while I get the notes and reading materials.

Get a CART service - and anything else you need to keep up with the classes. This is your RIGHT. BY LAW too.

good luck! it is indeed a very hard work... I've been doing lip-reading training (together with speech therapy) for over 10 years and still... it's probably around 30% effective... or less.... that's without using sound.

since I discovered ASL... I no longer have to "work hard" on communication issue. CART service is very expensive and difficult to arrange - they are not widely available. In most case, they have to commute few hours. That's how limited their availability is. ASL interpreter is mostly available anywhere so it would make my life much easier.

yep... it does take time to arrange everything because they have to get a special funding for accommodation service and find a helper. This should have been done at least 3 months beforehand.

Now that you know how it works... make sure you stay abreast of your own accommodation service next time especially when you go to college. :)

good luck! it is indeed a very hard work... I've been doing lip-reading training (together with speech therapy) for over 10 years and still... it's probably around 30% effective... or less.... that's without using sound.

since I discovered ASL... I no longer have to "work hard" on communication issue. CART service is very expensive and difficult to arrange - they are not widely available. In most case, they have to commute few hours. That's how limited their availability is. ASL interpreter is mostly available anywhere so it would make my life much easier.

yep... it does take time to arrange everything because they have to get a special funding for accommodation service and find a helper. This should have been done at least 3 months beforehand.
Now that you know how it works... make sure you stay abreast of your own accommodation service next time especially when you go to college. :)

This young man seriously needs to learn how to advocate for his own needs. But he has to know what those needs are and how they can best be met first.

This young man seriously needs to learn how to advocate for his own needs. But he has to know what those needs are and how they can best be met first.

at least right now - we're showing everything to him and he's learning it. I didn't know anything about this until freshman in college because my dad handled everything for me. It was a shocker for me but a very valuable learning experience.

I only hope that he doesn't go down same way as me :lol:

you rarely talk to her? well...

she knows ASL. you don't know ASL.

She basically went to American school for the school and they talk and sign at the same time...

To a few replied before this post:
My normal needs at school are just note taker, some sound field systems in the classrooms, captions are required, daily new emails, hoh teacher, extra time on writing and tests.

I was never prepared for my implants to be broken which is why I never worried about getting CART or some interpreter.

at least right now - we're showing everything to him and he's learning it. I didn't know anything about this until freshman in college because my dad handled everything for me. It was a shocker for me but a very valuable learning experience.

I only hope that he doesn't go down same way as me :lol:

You know, I see your situation more often than not in deaf high school freshman. The IEP's were handled through parents and the school system, and most often the student did not even sit in on the meetings. Then they get to college and are totally unaware that services do not automatically get provided simply because you are on file as a deaf student. They have to advocate for themselves and demand the services they need.

High schools really need to do a better job of transitioning students with disabilities into post secondary ed. First off, they need to have a student sitting in on all of the IEP meetings so they understand the procedure and learn how to request services. Then they need to have a class before graduation that addresses all the issues that come up when transitioning. It is an area that is completely neglected in most schools...especially the mainstream schools.

Now you know that it's better to be always prepared. Consider it a life lesson.

Absolutely. The chance of malfunction is greater than the chance of never experiencing a malfunction.

She basically went to American school for the school and they talk and sign at the same time...

To a few replied before this post:
My normal needs at school are just note taker, some sound field systems in the classrooms, captions are required, daily new emails, hoh teacher, extra time on writing and tests.

I was never prepared for my implants to be broken which is why I never worried about getting CART or some interpreter.

gotcha. yea sounds like me. talk about being unprepared! :lol:

but with CART service - it will change your world. You will know nearly everything what is being said in the classroom and you will be able to participate in class discussion. Demand for it now.

For me, I can't function in my normal everyday life without implants
Experience: My implant for my right just broke recently and today is my 13th day without any hearing devices.
Since I am 16, I have to continue going to school, mainstream. I have NO knowledgeable in sign lanague or can read lips... let me tell you something...
Exactly why I think a full toolbox is a good idea.. If something happens then you're lost without the CI or HA. I feel for you!!!!! ..Can you contact the American School for the Deaf's outreach department? American School for the Deaf: Outreach Education Services
OH ME DUH!!!! Are you near Massachusetts? What is Mainstreaming? It's the Clarke School mainstreaming services ...they might be able to help you.
Also, maybe this summer might be a good idea to aquire some deaf skills.....There are at least two camps for teens with hearing loss....:RIT - NTID - Explore Your Future (EYF)
This one is at NTID. NTID is good for hoh/oral students...I think it's actually kind of not too unusual for AG Bell/oral kids to attend NTID for college.
Gally has a summer camp for oral kids to learn ASL: Youth Programs and Sports Camps

To Deafdyke:
What would American School for the deaf would eactly help me out with?
I am a member of the Clarke school mainstreaming services (because my Hoh teacher used to work there, same with my mentor who is deaf), but what would they help me with?
(used to go to clarke school camp when i was little)
Funny you mention RIT because my ex goes there right now... I am actually talking to her about it haha.
I want to go to a college where its deveristy is spread, not just deaf people but with jocks, nerds, geeks, blow ups idiots ect ;)

To Deafdyke:
I am a member of the Clarke school mainstreaming services (because my Hoh teacher used to work there, same with my mentor who is deaf), but what would they help me with?
Funny you mention RIT because my ex goes there right now... I am actually talking to her about it haha.
I want to go to a college where its deveristy is spread, not just deaf people but with jocks, nerds, geeks, blow ups idiots ect ;)

Uhh, did you just say you want to go to school with Blow Ups? :shock:

I want to go to a college where its deveristy is spread, not just deaf people but with jocks, nerds, geeks, blow ups idiots ect
Oh Ok, good you're already hooked up with them. I just thought they might be able to track down some CART/C-Print services for you while you're without your CI.
Well check out the EYF summer camp...it might be fun for you...give you a little preview of RIT....and the good thing about RIT/NTID is that it's a deaf college within a hearing college...so you get much much more then dhh people...you get people of all stripes.

There's one issue I have with the point of view that says, "Just learn ASL". That's only helpful if you talk to others who speak ASL. It's almost impossible to learn it on your own. Yea, you could learn a good number of signs but to actually speak it requires practice at both signing and reading.

For this reason ASL isn't always a logical option for those of us like me who where late deaf. In a perfect world it would be the best solution. But I don't live in a perfect world. For example my family and some friends all took some ASL classes. Now, that was 15 people so that would be pretty expensive. Plus, not all of them would be able to fit taking a college course on it with their schedules. Certainly not all at the same time (No way that could be arranged in everyone schedule. So we had to search around and found a church that gave free ASL classes.

The two girls that taught the class where actually pretty good. It was obvious they "speak" ASL, nut just learned it. Turns out both the girls had deaf family members, so they grew up with it.

Two things I learned from all this. First, don't take classes from a Church you don't belong to. Because as soon as they said that in order to continue with the free classes we had to join their church. Since none of us had any intention of becoming a Jehovah witness, obviously the free classes where over.

The second thing I learned is that there are many people who have a hard time learning ASL. My parents had a real hard time learning it. None of them became very good at it. Not because they didn't try, they just had a hard time mastering it.

So, as the deaf person in my family (One of my sisters is HOH but not deaf) I really had no one to sign with. I have a few deaf friends in my area but I don't hang out with them all that much.

So the bottom line is for some people ASL isn't all that helpful. I did and still do use it as a back up but that's mainly just finger spelling a word to me every once in a while that I can't pick up. Not so much now because I can hear speech pretty well with my CI, I'd only need it now if I happen to be in a loud room and can't make out what they say.

So, unless you have friends and family that not only are willing but can also work in the time to learn and practice ASL. Or if they became deaf at a very young age or at birth and grew up with it. ASL can be a handy back up plan for moments when you can't understand someone and they finger spell or sign a key word or two.

I wish this wasn't the case and I'm sure it isn't for everyone. If everyone knew ASL, which would be great, then ASL would be the best solution. But I think many late deaf would experience a similar situation of ASL not being all that useful o speak all the time unless others they spend time with speak it.

Ron Jaxon

here's one issue I have with the point of view that says, "Just learn ASL". That's only helpful if you talk to others who speak ASL. It's almost impossible to learn it on your own. Yea, you could learn a good number of signs but to actually speak it requires practice at both signing and reading.

For this reason ASL isn't always a logical option for those of us like me who where late deaf.
Oh yeah definitly........It does seem a bit more complicated for those of you who are late deafened. Which is why I'm encouraging bbaseballboy to look into that NTID camp...what better way to learn ASL then though immersian?

High schools really need to do a better job of transitioning students with disabilities into post secondary ed. First off, they need to have a student sitting in on all of the IEP meetings so they understand the procedure and learn how to request services.

what?? In nz we sit in on IEP from the first one to the last one. Unless you kick cry scream your way out of it

what?? In nz we sit in on IEP from the first one to the last one. Unless you kick cry scream your way out of it

Not the same situation in the States. Unless it is specifically requested by the parent, the student, or a member of the IEP team, the student does not have to be present. Sad, isn't it? All these decision being made about the student's future without input from the one it affects the most.

Back