If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

True. Which is why high schools need to include transition services. I see kids coming from the mainstream all the time that have no idea what to request, what is available, or even that they have to request services. Most think that all they need to do is register with disability services, and the accommodations will automatically be provided just as they were in high school according to the IEP. College students don't fall under an IEP, but they have never been taught that. It really is a shame how many kids have no idea how to advocate for themselves. And the mainstream is supposed to empower them to get along in a hearing world! Riiiight.:roll:

Deaf schools are designed for deafness so the deaf kids who go there know so much about their rights. Or a public school with a good deaf program but those are very very rare.

Deaf schools are designed for deafness so the deaf kids who go there know so much about their rights. Or a public school with a good deaf program but those are very very rare.

Absolutely. Deaf schools focus on transition. Not just from high school to work or college, but at each stage: from elementary to jr. high, from jr. high to high school, too. Like you, I haven't seen many self contained programs that do a good job with transition services; no doubt because they are located in the public school. Their students get the same services, as a rule, that mainstreamed students get because both are public school programs.

I was amazed at the lack of knowledge that public school students had regarding rights and available accommodations, especially since my son graduated from a deaf school and had all of that provided, plus my insistence that he participate in all of his IEP meetings. I really find it sad that kids are being sent out of high school supposedly prepared but have no idea what to do for themselves.

And, I might add, these services are important no matter if a student uses ASL, HA, or CI. In fact, the kids that have had a terp usually know how to request that. It's the HA and CI students that are left in the dark.

True. Which is why high schools need to include transition services. I see kids coming from the mainstream all the time that have no idea what to request, what is available, or even that they have to request services. Most think that all they need to do is register with disability services, and the accommodations will automatically be provided just as they were in high school according to the IEP. College students don't fall under an IEP, but they have never been taught that. It really is a shame how many kids have no idea how to advocate for themselves. And the mainstream is supposed to empower them to get along in a hearing world! Riiiight.:roll:

Wow, very true. I'm just now realizing after reading your post that I never attended an IEP meeting, I never even knew when they were held or the outcome of those meetings. I remember when I went to college at RIT I went to their disability office to ask what I needed to do because I had no idea!

You can opt to ignore someone -- either using the 'ignore' function available or just by skipping posts from a person who irritates you, whose information you've heard one time too many, or whose mind you doubt you can change.

Wow, the best advice so far!!!!!

GrendelQ advice seems to be so obvious.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Peace- Love Blue

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Absolutely. Deaf schools focus on transition. Not just from high school to work or college, but at each stage: from elementary to jr. high, from jr. high to high school, too. Like you, I haven't seen many self contained programs that do a good job with transition services; no doubt because they are located in the public school. Their students get the same services, as a rule, that mainstreamed students get because both are public school programs.

I was amazed at the lack of knowledge that public school students had regarding rights and available accommodations, especially since my son graduated from a deaf school and had all of that provided, plus my insistence that he participate in all of his IEP meetings. I really find it sad that kids are being sent out of high school supposedly prepared but have no idea what to do for themselves.

And, I might add, these services are important no matter if a student uses ASL, HA, or CI. In fact, the kids that have had a terp usually know how to request that. It's the HA and CI students that are left in the dark.

In bold I agree with that and I seen that often. Signers know they need interpreter and usually have bit more experience with different type of support when growing up. Lot of kids that do not sign don't know what is out there to help them like notetaker, captions, CSW, etc. Sometimes it takes for them to struggle badly for school/college to notice and might offer them some support then they learn it then, a bit too late! There are some kids don't sign do know but it depends how good school is telling them and teaching them before.

Back