I think I want to stop using my voice. Opinions?

Hey Silentcolors, I do feel for you, I did black out at work yesterday not because of an illness but because I was so hot, the store where i work was so so hot. I was working on the tills, feeling bit strange i asked my collegue next to me, how I look, instantly i felt my blood draining out and everything went black! then whack.. I was gone. I can tell you, it's not nice at all and do sympathise how you are feeling.

Anyway, the voice suitation is entirely up to you, I am profoundly deaf and had been since birth, I NEVER heard my voice until I had the cochlear implant at 30 years old..... yeah I heard it! it was loud "harsh" Monotonal but now I have learnt to change my voice.
Have you heard of voice sythesizer (sp) If you use computer, there is sort of lists of words you want to say etc and the computer just makes the sentence and says it out for you. A lot of physically disabled people uses it.
I hope you find some sort of solution.

I know a guy who has cerebral palsy, and due to breathing issues he is on a vent. He has a computer as you described.

That is usually today seen as a good solution and it works very well for him. I can't understand if the OP is frequently blacking out from lack of breath that she isn't already on a vent.

Kali,

What's your hearing loss range? Cause if it's profound / severe, you may be a candidate for a cochlear implant.

I know many late deafened people that got one and are very happy with it.

I have about 40% in my left ear with hearing aids and less than 20% in my right with hearing aids. I can't hear anything without them, including gun shots. The aids aren't working as well as they were and I know eventually I won't be able to hear anything with them as well.

For one, I can't have the CI surgery. I've had way too many operations and my body can't handle much more. I also actaully do enjoy the quiet. I'm not saying I'm happy to go deaf, but I'm not opposed to it, or down on myself because of it. When I could hear just fine I had overly sensitive hearing and it really bothered me. I get chronic migranes a LOT and sound was a big trigger for that. Now it's mainly lights that are a trigger. And, as the other poster mentioned, it does take a lot of energy from what I've seen and heard. I'd rather just be myself the way I was made. Yes, I use hearing aids, but that was more for when I was in school, I really haven't been wearing them as much lately because they are hurting my head and physically hurting my ears since I wear them more than I should. Now I've just been enjoying the silence while teaching my boyfriend ASL.

That is a good idea though for people that do want it. :)

I know a guy who has cerebral palsy, and due to breathing issues he is on a vent. He has a computer as you described.

That is usually today seen as a good solution and it works very well for him. I can't understand if the OP is frequently blacking out from lack of breath that she isn't already on a vent.

Lack of breath isn't the only reason I black out, but it is a reason none the less. I've had to be on vents before while in hospitals and all of that, but I'm not going to be on a machine unless I really have to. If he's on a vent, it could be because he really can't breath himself. I have an oxygen tank at my apartment and IV set up and all of that but unless I truly can't get a breath in without a vent, then I don't wanna use it. I'm already hooked up to too much and have too much metal and plastic inside me. When I do need major help breathing then I use the tank and inhaler and other things but usually I can breathe, I just don't breathe well, or the right way I should say. But I also have heart and blood pressure issues which makes me pass out, I'm hypoglycemic so I pass out from that, there are lots of things. It's more that I'd rather just not have as many if possible.

For me it wouldn't be about being cool. Infact, it would probably make my (hearing) friendships a bit more difficult. It's merely about not feeling comfortable when I talk and having other medical issues, it's hard for me to talk. I pass out a lot due to not being able to get the air I need which would be another reason to stop if that's what I decide.

Just my opinion though.

Hi SilentColors,

Like others have said here, the choice is yours - but I would tell your hearing friends of your choice- I think you will be pleasantly surprised by their reaction.

Laura

If you stop using your voice then you may lose your ability to tell a hearing person that he or she is an idiot.:laugh2:

Wirelessly posted

While I still learn how to talk, I don't realize how it hurts when I talk a bit too much. I sometimes take a break from talking. It is better than too overuse on voice. Taking a break is good for your voicebox, IMO.

If you don't feel want to talk, signing until you feel ready to talk again. That is just how I do. Maybe you can try it? :)

Voice off at many public places. It is easier. If they dont hear me speak, they dont expect me to hear. Odd, eh? It does not make me cool or any deafer. It just makes things easier. Like E Q Lisa said, use it wisely. (btw Lisa, that advice was worth more than 2 cents lol)

Good point. I'll try that too.

I like EQLisa's post too. Good advice. I'm going to follow it myself!

Lack of breath isn't the only reason I black out, but it is a reason none the less. I've had to be on vents before while in hospitals and all of that, but I'm not going to be on a machine unless I really have to. If he's on a vent, it could be because he really can't breath himself. I have an oxygen tank at my apartment and IV set up and all of that but unless I truly can't get a breath in without a vent, then I don't wanna use it. I'm already hooked up to too much and have too much metal and plastic inside me. When I do need major help breathing then I use the tank and inhaler and other things but usually I can breathe, I just don't breathe well, or the right way I should say. But I also have heart and blood pressure issues which makes me pass out, I'm hypoglycemic so I pass out from that, there are lots of things. It's more that I'd rather just not have as many if possible.

Do you use a CPAP or BiPAP at night/taking naps ? that may help a LOT.

One thing you may want to consider it using a vent NIV/non-invasively (ie not trached). You use a mouthpiece instead and can use it on an as needed basis while awake, then switch to a mask/nasal prongs at night. I know dozens of people who had to make the "to trach or not to trach" choice, and 90% of them where glad they decided to get trached, because it actually made them MORE independent. My best friend didn't want to be trached for a number of years, and now wishes she'd done it earlier (her breathing is more stable, and airway more secure - she's also increased her lung capacity quite a bit)
... just somethings to consider and maybe discuss with your pulmo.

Personally I think it would depend on who you need to communicate with and what their communication abilities are. If you encounter (in person) hearing folks that don't know ASL AND you choose not to speak, then how would you communicate with them? Handwriting?

Personally I think it would depend on who you need to communicate with and what their communication abilities are. If you encounter (in person) hearing folks that don't know ASL AND you choose not to speak, then how would you communicate with them? Handwriting?

Eh? If I encounter a group of hearing folks who do not know sign language and I do not speak or sign, they ought to get a clue I have no intention of communicating.

Paper and pen which many deaf people have done for decades if not hundreds of years.

Eh? If I encounter a group of hearing folks who do not know sign language and I do not speak or sign, they ought to get a clue I have no intention of communicating.
I think you have missed the point. If you choose to isolate yourself from communicating with the hearing population then that is your choice. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to do that however I respect your options.

Paper and pen which many deaf people have done for decades if not hundreds of years.
That is what I would assume. If that is acceptable then I would say it's ok to not use your voice if you don't want to or if it causes problems. I have just seen many posts from other deaf folks that don't like to have to write stuff down. Just more proof that one size does not fit all.

Wirelessly posted

The "one size fits all" rhetoric is getting annoying, especially when you're using in context where there is a *gasps* a common denominator!

I think you have missed the point. If you choose to isolate yourself from communicating with the hearing population then that is your choice. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to do that however I respect your options.

Heh..... It takes a shoe..

That is what I would assume. If that is acceptable then I would say it's ok to not use your voice if you don't want to or if it causes problems. I have just seen many posts from other deaf folks that don't like to have to write stuff down. Just more proof that one size does not fit all.

People posting just to say they don't like writing? why are they posting in the first place :)

I do understand that it get tiresome though.

Back