I have a question...

im_shelby

Reaction score
I have a question... Im hearing, and every now and again I will see deaf people either at a restaurant, or at a store, or wherever.

And alot of the time I would like to go over & say Hi & talk to them. But Im not sure how to do it politely.

So thats my question. How can I say Hi or introduce myself to a deaf person or deaf people that I dont know without seeming rude or like Im interrupting their conversation?

Should I just walk right up & introduce myself?

Because I know that if a hearing person were to walk up to another hearing stranger & just start talking to them, it would be weird for them.

If you did it to me it would seem weird, and I would be frightened.

If I was at a restaurant with my deaf friends or family from AZ, I get annoyed when hearing strangers interrupt my time with my friends just to say hi and tell us that they know sign language or want to show off their signing skills. Yes, I love it when hearing people learn sign language and love to meet them but with me, there is a right time and place for it. Maybe other deaf people dont mind but because I dont to get to go out with my friends or family much due to being so busy or living so far from them, I just want to use the time to catch up with them not to meet new people. When I am at a deaf social or event, sure, I dont mind it at all because I am there to meet new people whether deaf or hearing.

Just my time with my family or friends is my time with them not with strangers.

If I was at a restaurant with my deaf friends or family from AZ, I get annoyed when hearing strangers interrupt my time with my friends just to say hi and tell us that they know sign language or want to show off their signing skills. Yes, I love it when hearing people learn sign language and love to meet them but with me, there is a right time and place for it. Maybe other deaf people dont mind but because I dont to get to go out with my friends or family much due to being so busy or living so far from them, I just want to use the time to catch up with them not to meet new people. When I am at a deaf social or event, sure, I dont mind it at all because I am there to meet new people whether deaf or hearing.

Just my time with my family or friends is my time with them not with strangers.

You're reading my mind. :cool:

Ok, if you really want to do this...
Forget about 'approaching a deaf person'. No matter how you do it, it will likely seem strange, just like with anyone else being approached 'out of the blue'.

So don't even think of it in that way. But yet, don't be too afraid either, just be natural, and you may encounter someone in a normal way (like for example, they have a nice dog in the park... I think it is common for people to meet over such things, like their dog, or if they have a 'nice car', or something like that)

So again, let it be natural, just like with anyone else, and you might end up getting to know someone. But let it be just like with anyone else, don't think about trying to just know people who are deaf... because they are just regular people too.

If you did it to me it would seem weird, and I would be frightened.

:laugh2::rofl:

post of the year.

i disagree with all these people. i think you should just sit down at their table, introduce yourself and say, "WELL THIS IS LOVELY! I'M SURE WE'LL ALL BE GREAT FRIENDS. IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND I'M SO GLAD YOU ALL ARE GOING TO HELP ME PRACTICE ASL AND ALSO PAY FOR MY LUNCH. GOD BLESS YOU."

and then stay with them long after your welcome has worn out.

I think it is little rude to bother. I give you advice to not do that.

Ok haha thankyou all :)

I feel kind of stupid for even asking this question now, because most of these answers seem so obvious.

But I guess its good that I asked so I dont make the mistake of bothering people while theyre eating, or spending quality time with friends and / or family

I feel kind of stupid for even asking this question now, because most of these answers seem so obvious.

But I guess its good that I asked so I dont make the mistake of bothering people while theyre eating, or spending quality time with friends and / or family

Please don't feel stupid because you make sure that you know before you do something.

Nah it dont really bother me.. I'm real laidback, easygoin' guy. if they want to talk to me.. they're all welcome to get to know me.. I dont want the hearing people think all deaf people is snuck up or being afriaid of hearing poeple... IMHO...

just be yourself and serve them what they want.. if they want to talk to you.. by all that means.. go ahead entertain eachother...

just sayin'

But.... Yes you can say Hi or introduce yourself to a deaf person or deaf people at deaf social at Bar, Party, Deaf Events or Coffee Starbuck? :dunno2: :D

Dont feel stupid...like I said some deaf people dont mind while others are picky. Like hearing people, deaf people are individual with different views and interests. It is probably strongly recommended to approach us at Deaf socials instead of at a dinner table with our friends or family. Less intrusive that way and less risky of offending people cuz nobody really knows who doesnt mind and who does.

Ok, if you really want to do this...
Forget about 'approaching a deaf person'. No matter how you do it, it will likely seem strange, just like with anyone else being approached 'out of the blue'.

So don't even think of it in that way. But yet, don't be too afraid either, just be natural, and you may encounter someone in a normal way (like for example, they have a nice dog in the park... I think it is common for people to meet over such things, like their dog, or if they have a 'nice car', or something like that)

So again, let it be natural, just like with anyone else, and you might end up getting to know someone. But let it be just like with anyone else, don't think about trying to just know people who are deaf... because they are just regular people too.

It doesn't bother me as much as it would some people. The only thing that really bothers me is when people stare at a signed conversation I am having with my friends. But a simple polite "hello" in sign has never ever bothered me.

There was one time I was made to feel completely uncomfortable and it was when I was shopping in a grocery store and two young girls approached me (early 20's). They "forcefully" tapped me on my shoulder and got in my line of sight and began speaking very slowly.

This is what I understood them to be saying ..."We both noticed you wear a hearing aid .... it is not God's plan for you to be deaf ..... you are deaf because you are a wicked sinner and that is your punishment ... you need to have faith in God and you will be healed from this affliction ...."

Well first of all, I need to let you know here that I am a Christian and was raised in a very loving christian family. I do not go around preaching my faith to other people nor do i practice my faith as an adult. I just simply .. believe ... and its good enough for me.

I reacted VERY harshly. I began pretending to be having seizures and started shouting "Beelzebub is my momma !!!"

Hey ... it served them right.

Back