Hurricane Season Officially Begins Today !

Y said:
Prayers would do... I recalled reading
an article there was a family gathering together
in a small room Praying in the middle
of a real BAD Storm

Guess What ?

After the Storm, Everything was fully
destroyed and damaged everywhere EXCEPT
that room where family were praying together !
That room was NOT even touched by the storm
at all.... Amazing !

:gpost: :angel:

Oceanbreeze said:
It's not really "nasty" news. It happens to be a fact of life for some of us, so I'm glad we're made aware of it. However, being in such a hurricane prone area does cause some anxiety this time of year for alot of us.
Amen!

Heath said:
True .... just do it very, very early.... and I do mean very early ..... Have your relatives and you split the money on the airplane ticket.
Most people who evacuate prefer to drive out with their cars, if they can. It's cheaper to carry the whole family and pets in one vehicle than to buy a bunch of plane tickets. Also, the planes of evacuating areas can barely get the tourists out in time; they just don't have the capacity.

When we evacuated (Hurricane Floyd), we packed our personal vehicle, and our business vehicle. That way, we could take more stuff with us, our pets, and Hubby's source of income (his van). Our daughter and her husband and boys went in their car, and his mother drove her car. We all drove together, like a caravan.

We live near Charleston, SC, and the closest available motel rooms we could find were beyond Knoxville, TN. We made those reservations two days before we evacuated.

We didn't evacuate for Hurricane Hugo; we stayed thru the storm. We spent the whole night huddled in our hallway. But people who did evacuate drove 100 miles north and inland to Columbia, thinking it would be safe to stay there. However, the hurricane spread there too, much to everyone's surprise.

If we have to evacuate again, we will be better prepared. We will pack camping gear so we won't have to depend on finding a motel room. We also have a camping toilet we can set up for the drive because there are no restrooms available when you evacuate. I'm never again going to pee in a Big Gulp cup while sitting in my car on a highway!

Reba said:
Most people who evacuate prefer to drive out with their cars, if they can. It's cheaper to carry the whole family and pets in one vehicle than to buy a bunch of plane tickets. Also, the planes of evacuating areas can barely get the tourists out in time; they just don't have the capacity.

When we evacuated (Hurricane Floyd), we packed our personal vehicle, and our business vehicle. That way, we could take more stuff with us, our pets, and Hubby's source of income (his van). Our daughter and her husband and boys went in their car, and his mother drove her car. We all drove together, like a caravan.

We live near Charleston, SC, and the closest available motel rooms we could find were beyond Knoxville, TN. We made those reservations two days before we evacuated.

We didn't evacuate for Hurricane Hugo; we stayed thru the storm. We spent the whole night huddled in our hallway. But people who did evacuate drove 100 miles north and inland to Columbia, thinking it would be safe to stay there. However, the hurricane spread there too, much to everyone's surprise.

If we have to evacuate again, we will be better prepared. We will pack camping gear so we won't have to depend on finding a motel room. We also have a camping toilet we can set up for the drive because there are no restrooms available when you evacuate. I'm never again going to pee in a Big Gulp cup while sitting in my car on a highway!

:rofl: I don't mean to be laughing but honestly it is funny on the bathroom situation but it is a good idea that he took all of you along with the van which was all of the family's source of income and riding in a family caravan is always cool especially on a long trip. However with winds packing a 100+ M.P.H. punch and this being pine tree country and setting up tents might not be a good idea. I am sure you guys could make arrangements this year to stay with one of your relatives as soon as you get the first hint of a hurricane warning headed your way. My prayers are with all of you, God Bless ..... :angel:

Heath said:
:rofl: I don't mean to be laughing but honestly it is funny on the bathroom situation but it is a good idea that he took all of you along with the van which was all of the family's source of income and riding in a family caravan is always cool especially on a long trip. However with winds packing a 100+ M.P.H. punch and this being pine tree country and setting up tents might not be a good idea. I am sure you guys could make arrangements this year to stay with one of your relatives as soon as you get the first hint of a hurricane warning headed your way. My prayers are with all of you, God Bless ..... :angel:
I didn't mean we would pitch our tents in the hurricane zone. I meant that we wouldn't have to rely on a motel room once we got to a safe area.

Also, in addition to our large tents, we bring a kid-size tent that we can use for privacy with our camping toilet. We found out the hard way that some highways don't even have bushes for privacy when nature calls.

When we were evacuating with thousands of other people, eventually no one worried about modesty. Some people just opened up both car doors on the passenger side, and squated between them.

Evacuations are no fun. :( It's like living in a third world nation. You're reduced to the basic necessities of life. Also, when you evacuate, you don't expect to see your house again. When we left our house, I actually looked at it and said, "good-bye". I really didn't expect to see it again.

Reba said:
I didn't mean we would pitch our tents in the hurricane zone. I meant that we wouldn't have to rely on a motel room once we got to a safe area.

Also, in addition to our large tents, we bring a kid-size tent that we can use for privacy with our camping toilet. We found out the hard way that some highways don't even have bushes for privacy when nature calls.

When we were evacuating with thousands of other people, eventually no one worried about modesty. Some people just opened up both car doors on the passenger side, and squated between them.

Evacuations are no fun. :( It's like living in a third world nation. You're reduced to the basic necessities of life. Also, when you evacuate, you don't expect to see your house again. When we left our house, I actually looked at it and said, "good-bye". I really didn't expect to see it again.

Whoa, That has to be hard. Thank God I was just a kid then when Hurricane Alicia hit Houston TX in 1983 and did not have to worry or really understad any of those things. My parents kept me pretty busy :D

Toughing it out in a hurricane is never easy and not something to be taken very lightly, especially when hurricane force winds are exploding houses like wooden toothpicks that act like bullets or spears all over the neighborhood and trees hurl forwards at 200+ m.p.h. like missiles. You are better off evacuating at the first hint of a hurricane and hopefully far away from the hurricane zone. Hopefully this year you will be alittle better prepared. God Bless ..... :angel:

Gone With The Wind!

I notice most houses in Florida use concrete blocks...as bricks or frame can be easily blown away.... :whistle:

Deaf Images said:
I notice most houses in Florida use concrete blocks...as bricks or frame can be easily blown away.... :whistle:

She lives in North Carolina.

You are not paying attention.

I have lived in Florida before and I know what the houses look like.

Heath said:
She lives in North Carolina.

You are not paying attention.

I have lived in Florida before and I know what the houses look like.
I'm not sure who is referring to whom but Oceanbreeze lives in Florida, and I live in South Carolina. (I used to live in the Florida Panhandle and Keys but that was a long time ago.)

Reba said:
I'm not sure who is referring to whom but Oceanbreeze lives in Florida, and I live in South Carolina. (I used to live in the Florida Panhandle and Keys but that was a long time ago.)

Excuse me, South Carolina....Thank you Reba for the clarification. Yes, I noticed Oceanbreeze lives in S. Florida. :) :thumb:

When back to 1992, Bad hurricane was occured in Hawaii, around cat. 4 and many buildings are destroyed but nothing to hit in Oahu, that where Honolulu metro located. Now, Hawaii don't get any hurricanes since 1992.

:eek: Jeremy and I wanted to go to Mytrle Beach, SC for our honeymoon in October 2007. Is it still safe to go?? :scatter:

FelixKat930 said:
:eek: Jeremy and I wanted to go to Mytrle Beach, SC for our honeymoon in October 2007. Is it still safe to go?? :scatter:

You should be fine. :) :thumb:

Reba said:

Very Good idea for survival ! Thats why it's usually a Good idea
to own a high-top conversion van where I can always park
anywhere and then perhaps open up a huge tent right
next to my van.

Geez, I feel like to hit my head with my own hammer !!!!!
Because I already lost the chance to buy an used
high-top conversion van $7,800 from my neighbor
only 62K mileage it looks like a brand new one
even though the year was 1995.... It looks like
a REAL bargain plus I know my neighbor.. Sigh....

Look at:

southerncomfortvan.jpg

southerncomfortvan2.jpg

Would you like this concept for the purposes
to evacuate during hurricanes ?

Deaf Images said:

That's true, but since Hurricane Andrew, alot of counties in FL. have passed laws to streghthen their building codes. Most structures are now being built to withstand winds greater than 120mph. However, FLOOD also is a concern with hurricanes. You can have the most up-graded, kick ass building code on the planet, and it STILL won't protect your home from storm surge.

So, don't be so cavalier. It's a concern for a lot of us.

Reba said:
(I used to live in the Florida Panhandle and Keys but that was a long time ago.)

:shock:

Reba! Guess where I live?!

:lol:

I had NO idea you were a Keys resident.

Sorry, off topic.

Reba said:

This is true for us, Reba. My family consists of not just myself and my parents, but my sister and her children as well. Plus, we ALL have pets. My Dad usually books a room somewhere at a pet-friendly motel outside of the strike zone. Then, we pack what we can in our two vehicles, and we coordinate with my sister, and caravan it out.

On a personal note, last year I was in the hospital when Wilma hit our area. The order came down from the Gov. to evacuate. All the hospitals had to close. I was evacuated to Alabama in a C-130 military plane. My parents were morons, and they STAYED and rode out Wilma. I was very upset when I heard about it. I said ... "Here, I'm fighting for my life. I could have been the ONLY surviving member of this family. WHAT possessed you to think you could ride out a category 3 hurricane in a MOBILE HOME?!"

Oh, I was NOT happy. :lol:

Anyway, hopefully, this season will be kinder to us, and HOPEFULLY, my health will hold up better, and I won't be in the hospital.

shshs heath haha

i know it is life we have to deal with like bad weathers and etc....

Reba said:

Yep. That's what we did during Hurricane Andrew. We hopped in the truck and hightailed it out of Florida just before Andrew hit, and we made it to Nashville, TN and stayed in a motel there. However, our grandparents did not leave Florida, they opted to stay there. Thankfully, nothing happened to their house.

Reba said:

This is very true. There's a lot of anxiety when leaving during an evacuation, because, you don't know what you might come back to after the storm passes you by. However, I wouldn't recommend hunkering down and riding out a hurricane, either. We've done this as well, and both scenerios are very anxiety provoking. Hurricane season is no fun.

Back