Hurricane Season Officially Begins Today !

LuciaDisturbed said:
Same here. I grew up mostly in the midwest, and always hated it. I really hated the cold and the snow. I've lived in Florida, and loved it.

I'd rather take my chances with a hurriance than with a tornado.

With hurriance you get warning like a week or more before it is supposed to hit. You can pack up and leave. But with twisters...you only get like 30 secs to get your ass to the basement (if you have one)or cellar or to get to middle of house like a closet. That is a lot more scarier.

Heat, humidity (which everyone complains about), cockroaches the size of Texas, alligators, rattlesnakes and, worst of all, Crowds, CRowds, CROwds, CROWds, CROWDs, CROWDS EVERYWHERE!!!

Yuk!!

Reba said:
Is there room for all coastal residents to move into your neighborhood?

Personally, I prefer taking a rare chance with a hurricane over day after day, month after month, year after year of cold and snow. :D

:werd:

The cold and snow is hard on my body. The hot weather is better suited to my health, and it's worth it to us to brave the anxiety of hurricane season.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Same here. I grew up mostly in the midwest, and always hated it. I really hated the cold and the snow. I've lived in Florida, and loved it.

I'd rather take my chances with a hurriance than with a tornado.

With hurriance you get warning like a week or more before it is supposed to hit. You can pack up and leave. But with twisters...you only get like 30 secs to get your ass to the basement (if you have one)or cellar or to get to middle of house like a closet. That is a lot more scarier.

True, but check this out! You get tornados embedded in the bands of an approaching tropical storm or hurricane. So, you're screwed, either way. :lol:

Thankfully, the tornados that spawn from hurricanes are of the weakened variety, but they can still tear a roof off a house. But as far as warnings go, you're right. You don't exactly get a week to prepare, but you DO get time. Whereas with a tornado, you MAY get fifteen minutes to get to safety, if you're lucky!

Gimme a hurricane over a tornado ANY DAY! :lol:

Oceanbreeze said:
True, but check this out! You get tornados embedded in the bands of an approaching tropical storm or hurricane. So, you're screwed, either way. :lol:

Thankfully, the tornados that spawn from hurricanes are of the weakened variety, but they can still tear a roof off a house. But as far as warnings go, you're right. You don't exactly get a week to prepare, but you DO get time. Whereas with a tornado, you MAY get fifteen minutes to get to safety, if you're lucky!

Gimme a hurricane over a tornado ANY DAY! :lol:

Cochroaches flying through the screens. Yeah, really nice weather. :barf: :rl:

Oceanbreeze said:
Thank you. We'll be prepared. We always are. From what I heard, though, the EAST COAST (including most of FL), has a higher statical chance of getting hit this year. We'll see. We're under the gun from about Sept through the end of Oct.

Same here....I have been through the 3 Hurricanes about 2 years ago (Charley, Frances, and the other one). :(

Nancy said:
Same here....I have been through the 3 Hurricanes about 2 years ago (Charley, Frances, and the other one). :(

We were hit by Katrina, Dennis, Wilma, and Rita last year (not in that order). Wasn't fun.

Btw, Nancy, we're going to be moving up to the mainland after this hurricane season. I finally convinced the 'ol man that it's time to get the hell out of here! :lol:

I agreed with ob and nancy... We should wear the white shirts with the black bold prints said "we always be the surviviors when it hits with our wisdom". I am from gulf coast also.

Moondancer said:
I agreed with ob and nancy... We should wear the white shirts with the black bold prints said "we always be the surviviors when it hits with our wisdom". I am from gulf coast also.

I feel for you guys. Y'all actually get nailed more than we do, and by stronger storms. Good luck to you this year!

Yes true, ob. Iam awared of all kind of storms for years. Thanks for ur support! :cheers:

pek1 said:
Cochroaches flying through the screens. Yeah, really nice weather. :barf: :rl:

Cockroaches is nothing to harm with. U can splat them with ur shoes or a roll of newspapers. It is nothing to afraid of.

Alberto became a tropical storm today.
Will we have hurricanes every year from now on?

I wonder how many insurance companies will go bankrupt
and I wonder if FEMA will get fed up.

FreedummyRing said:
I wonder how many insurance companies will go bankrupt and I wonder if FEMA will get fed up.
Already, insurance companies are leaving risky areas such as Coastal NY or FL. They already have experienced huge losses during the past two hurricane seasons.

Where does this leave us? With state-funded insurance companies of the last resort, usually requiring expensive premiums. :( Even then, FL's Citizens Property Insurance is still in the red and the taxpayers have to bail them out eventually, if collected premiums still don't cover the shortfall.

Moondancer said:
Cockroaches is nothing to harm with. U can splat them with ur shoes or a roll of newspapers. It is nothing to afraid of.

Guess you ain't seen cockroaches the size of TEXAS. :-o

Our community is getting ready for the hurricane season. Last week they had a drill (practice) for changing the highway exits for one-way evacuation traffic.

They publicized the rules for the pet shelter. Only one family member can accompany each pet to the shelter that is pet friendly. The pet shelter is at the municipal coliseum. Pet owners must bring a crate for their pet, a three-day supply of food and water, a rabies certificate and a leash.

The first year that they used the shelter for people and pets was 1999, during the evacuation for hurricane Floyd. They had 350 people and 250 pets that time. They are better planned for the next time, so they can handle more pets. But they really recommend evacuating, not shelters, if you have pets.

On a personal level of preparation, we called the town (again) to get permission to cut down some dangerous trees that overhang our house. So far, no luck. :( We'll keep trying.

Here I am keeping my eye on Alberto's path. They are predicting that it will hit Florida by Tuesday and that is where I am. Hopefully it will not turn into a hurricane at all.

The last major hurricane I went through was Hurricane Ivan when it hit Grand Cayman in Sept 2004. I was living there at that time. It was a category 4 and then a 5 and then back to 4 when it hit us. It was moving very slow at 8 to 9 mph and we were battered on for 2 days. It was the most destructive storm I have had experienced. The aftermath was really bad. The memories of Hurricane Ivan will forever linger in me. Whenever I see the name of "Ivan" I shudder.

ButterflyGirl said:
Here I am keeping my eye on Alberto's path. They are predicting that it will hit Florida by Tuesday and that is where I am. Hopefully it will not turn into a hurricane at all.

Keep an eye on the storm, but I think it's safe to say it won't be a hurricane. Last I heard, it was either going to dissipate, or worst case scenerio, be a weak tropical storm when it came ashore. I'd be prepared for power outages and what not, but I wouldn't sweat this one TOO MUCH.

It's a good wake up call for those who need to get prepared, though. Because later on in the season, we'll need to be on our toes!

Hang in there! Only 5 more mos til the end of the season! :ugh2:

:lol:

Back