Hurricane Dennis

I have been thru Hurricane Bob back in 1991. Boy it was such a mess. No electric or hot water for 10 days. It wasnt easy. All the electric company from out of state have come up to help us. It was really a mess I have taken a few pix of it. The power line was down everywhere. Few ppl was killed. My old mobile home have very little damage but my neighbor's mobile home was damaged by a tree fallen down right in the middle of the home. I can see the toilet, sink and living room. Boy trees were everywhere on the road.

As getting for a food is out of question cuz no power.

But I sure was glad that I survived thru Hurricane Bob.

My thought and prayer goes out to those ppl who are going thru hurricane.

:jaw: Another one!!! Hurricane Emily is going thru the same path thru Haiti, Cuba and into the Gulf Coast.. sigh :thumbd: Not good! I don't know where exactly its heading though toward to the inland. Anybody know?

Reba said:
I feel sad about Pensacola. Hubby and I met and married there, and our daughter was born there. I hate to see it get hit again. :(

Hurricanes are not fun. We lived thru hurricane Hugo in 1989. It was awful. It hit during the night, so we couldn't see what was happening. We stayed in the hall of our house. We expected to die because the walls of the house were shaking so badly, and we could hear the trees crashing down outside.

Evacuations are awful also. We evacuated for hurricane Floyd. Before we left our house, I took pictures, looked around, sighed, and said, "good-bye house." I didn't expect to see it again. I expected it to be destroyed. The traffic lines were long even though they opened up both sides of the highway for one-way traffic. The cars didn't move. We got stuck in a long line of traffic in a remote area. No bathrooms, nothing for about 12 hours. Many people ran out of gas before they even left the city limits. They used duct tape to secure the elderly people from the nursing home in their bus seats. One died in his seat and no one knew it for hours. We had to drive from Charleston, SC, to Knoxville, TN, before we could find a vacant motel room.

We really need to pray for the people in danger of the hurricane.

Hello all... I'm alive and well.

Dennis came a-callin', but it could have been much worse. Things were relatively "normal" until we lost power 10 pm Friday night. I'm not sure what the winds were like then, but I'd guess tropical storm force of at least 40 mph, sustained. We had been experiencing the outer bands of the storm off and on all day, so the weather was already pretty miserable. From about 10pm on, things really started to get bad. Come around 2am, the "show" started. Dennis actually came within 90 mi from me, and we started experiencing sustained winds of 90mph, and gusts higher than that. This kept up until morning. When Dennis finally left, the streets were flooded, and we were without power, phone, and the amenities everyone is used to. We were all pretty thankful it wasn't worse, though. It was like "camping out". We had our cooler. It wasn't pleasant, but it was liveable. Slowly, services were restored. We got power back Sunday night. On, Monday, cable was restored and today, we got our phone restored.

Reba, I am with you on evacuation. We've evacuated for a couple of these storms, and it's not fun. Dennis was the first storm I've been through, though. I don't know what is worse... The stress of worrying about what is happening to your home once you evacuate, or the stress of dealing with the "elements" afterward. It's all pretty much the same. You do what you have to do.

:hug: to you all. For those of you who haven't lived through this, be thankful for what you have. It can be taken away in an instant.

welcome back ocean we're abt to get our hurricane season started here soon so gonna be keeping my eyes peel ugh! yah i sat here on the puter updating evrryone it was my flipping first hurricanes, and i been thru alot of tropical storms one was isadore and the other one umm shoot forgot which name but that was when i was in tenn for 2 weeks ugh it was SO not easy go to thru that and whats more i was by myself housesitting for two people i brought all the animals in to keep them from getting soaked and scared. so yah it was a wild ride for me after that i went on to my endevors and learned so much then i had my first white christmas what an impression! it make me grateful for all the nasties i went thru! then came the hurricane oh boy it was something else for me i had an intresting time of mylife...

heres my little tidbit that occured that time
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=4972&highlight=hurricane

enjoy reading!

Welcome back Oceanbreeze! We've missed you! NOT .. :P Just kidding..we sure did :)

Glad things worked out eventually!

javapride said:
welcome back ocean we're abt to get our hurricane season started here soon so gonna be keeping my eyes peel ugh! yah i sat here on the puter updating evrryone it was my flipping first hurricanes, and i been thru alot of tropical storms one was isadore and the other one umm shoot forgot which name but that was when i was in tenn for 2 weeks ugh it was SO not easy go to thru that and whats more i was by myself housesitting for two people i brought all the animals in to keep them from getting soaked and scared. so yah it was a wild ride for me after that i went on to my endevors and learned so much then i had my first white christmas what an impression! it make me grateful for all the nasties i went thru! then came the hurricane oh boy it was something else for me i had an intresting time of mylife...

heres my little tidbit that occured that time
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=4972&highlight=hurricane

enjoy reading!

These storms aren't fun. Dennis was the first storm we actually rode out. Before this one, we either evacuated or the storms weren't as bad as predicted. This time, however, the forecast actually came to fruition. By all rights, we should have left being that we live in a mobile home, but by the time we got all our preparations made, it really was too late to leave. The wind was picking up, and it was just too dangerous to drive, so we stayed. But, as bad as it was, I am aware that it could have been a heckuva lot worse! I'm really thankful that it wasn't.

Meg said:
Welcome back Oceanbreeze! We've missed you! NOT .. :P Just kidding..we sure did :)

Glad things worked out eventually!

Gee, thanks....I think. :lol:

Seriously, I missed my friends. Didn't miss the drama, though. ;)

Ever been away for an extended period? It's not pretty. I signed on and I was showing 194 unread posts! Oy! :eek:

welcome back, Oceanbreeze! At least ur back in one piece, and glad that hurricane didn't go on Florida mainland unlike last year, I hope this year won't be as bad as last year, shrugs! :D

Also, as Dennis weakened into a tropical depression as it went landfall on the US mainland. Emily became a tropical storm in the atlantic tropics, now it's a catergory 3 hurricane running pretty close to South America. Who knows where it is going?

sequoias said:
Also, as Dennis weakened into a tropical depression as it went landfall on the US mainland. Emily became a tropical storm in the atlantic tropics, now it's a catergory 3 hurricane running pretty close to South America. Who knows where it is going?

It looked to be heading into Venezuela, or it could go over the Yucatan. I also heard that it might hit Texas some time next week. These things have a mind of their own. They go where they want... I'm just grateful Emily didn't have her sights set on us. A back to back, one-two, punch would have been more than a pita to deal with.

Oceanbreeze said:
It looked to be heading into Venezuela, or it could go over the Yucatan. I also heard that it might hit Texas some time next week. These things have a mind of their own. They go where they want... I'm just grateful Emily didn't have her sights set on us. A back to back, one-two, punch would have been more than a pita to deal with.

Yea, sometimes hurricanes will steer sharply and go to Florida, hurricanes's path are a mystery and we don't know why and what causes them to steer left and right, it's like they have their own minds like you said. Remember the hurricane that plowed houndras in central America? That was a pretty big mess, lots of mudslides, flooding, rain and left so many homeless.

sequoias said:
Yea, sometimes hurricanes will steer sharply and go to Florida, hurricanes's path are a mystery and we don't know why and what causes them to steer left and right, it's like they have their own minds like you said. Remember the hurricane that plowed houndras in central America? That was a pretty big mess, lots of mudslides, flooding, rain and left so many homeless.

Mitch. That was back in 1998. Also, was the same year Hurricane Georges plowed through the Florida Keys as a cat 2 storm. Mitch ended up downgrading to a category 1 storm, or maybe even a strong tropical storm. I can't remember, but I do remember that storm wasn't the "baddy" it was when it hit Hondurus. We were lucky!

Hell, we're always lucky during hurricane season. For being so danged vulnerable, we don't see the damage that would could or should see. The panhandle actually sees more storms than we do, if you can believe it?

Oceanbreeze said:
Mitch. That was back in 1998. Also, was the same year Hurricane Georges plowed through the Florida Keys a cat 2 storm. Mitch ended up downgrading to a category 1 storm, or maybe even a strong tropical storm. I can't remember, but I do remember that storm wasn't the "baddy" it was when it hit Hondurus. We were lucky!

Hell, we're always lucky during hurricane season. For being so danged vulnerable, we don't see the damage that would could or should see. The panhandle actually sees more storms than we do, if you can believe it?

I sure believe that the panhandle sees more storms, cuz it's in a tropical climate, lots of warm water and cool air from the north, and lots of o unstable air, too. Too bad, we don't see those in Seattle, pretty rare. I don't mind, anyhow.

sequoias said:
I sure believe that the panhandle sees more storms, cuz it's in a tropical climate, lots of warm water and cool air from the north, and lots of o unstable air, too. Too bad, we don't see those in Seattle, pretty rare. I don't mind, anyhow.

We're tropical down here as well. I actually live just 120 mi from Cuba, and our weather is mostly influenced by the Carribean instead of the mainland US. It's pretty strange. But, I love living here. This, despite dealing with hurricane season every year. :)

Oceanbreeze said:
We're tropical down here as well. I actually live just 120 mi from Cuba, and our weather is mostly influenced by the Carribean instead of the mainland US. It's pretty strange. But, I love living here. This, despite dealing with hurricane season every year. :)

good for you and glad u love Florida. :)

ain't floridians sick and tired of Hurricanes? why live in florida?
it is like a roller coaster...
and when the hurricane do knock down your house, then
you guys will get upset with FEMA and insurance companies.

is it worth living in Florida??

I look at this map here...
and it looks like there might be 3 hurricanes coming...

Attachments

• hurricanes.jpg
    hurricanes.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
Miss*Pinocchio said:
I look at this map here...
and it looks like there might be 3 hurricanes coming...

Time will tell. In the meantime, lets worry about them when they actually become a threat to land.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
ain't floridians sick and tired of Hurricanes? why live in florida?
it is like a roller coaster...
and when the hurricane do knock down your house, then
you guys will get upset with FEMA and insurance companies.

is it worth living in Florida??

Yes, it is. For one thing, my health is better living down here. Hurricane season is just 6 mos out of the year. The other six mos, nobody complains about the weather. I would honestly say that I would not live anywhere else. Sure, it's a gamble living here, but hon, LIFE itself is a gamble. You take what you get!

I still love FLA. my dad used to live in Tampa... too bad he moved back to Tx.. darn it...Hurricanes isn't so bad if you know what to do like evulations and all. We were down in NC when hurricane came, so we planned something else to alternative places. No big deal. It would be worse if you are just sitting on sand watching the water rise...that is another story.

Back