Hurricane Dennis

Nancy

Reaction score
Gulf Coast battens hatches for Dennis
Season’s first hurricane now packing winds of 115 mph

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Florida Keys tourists were urged to flee and residents along hundreds of miles of Gulf Coast began boarding up Thursday as Hurricane Dennis took aim for somewhere in the storm-weary region this weekend.

Forecasters warned residents from Florida to Louisiana that Dennis could be a major hurricane with top winds of 130 mph by the time it hits. But many in the projected path already got their wake-up call this week from a surprising Tropical Storm Cindy that caused three deaths, knocked out power to thousands, and spawned twisters that toppled trees and caused up to $40 million damage to a famed NASCAR track.

“We’re trying to get ready for whatever happens. We’ve been through so much already,” Joe Hendrickson said as he painted a house in Punta Gorda, where blue tarps still dot the rooftops of homes waiting to be repaired from Hurricane Charley, the first of a record four hurricanes to hit Florida last year.

To read rest of article about Hurricane Dennis, go here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8487520

Florida Keys res here

Yup! We're making plans to leave. Think positive thoughts for us, guys. This storm is gonna be bad for somebody.

Nancy: You under the gun for this bad boy, yet?

Yes, we are getting some items we need in the morning to prepare for the storm. I just got a full tank of gas for my car. I am not on the coastline of Florida but near the Tampa area, but right close to the middle of FL....and we will get lots of rain and wind from it. We are staying home during the heavy rain and winds.

Think positive thoughts for the people in Florida, including OceanBreeze and me. Thanks! :)

Poor Nancy!

Not another one, Nancy! Each year we hear from Nancy and the latest weather hallabaloo in Florida. We will be thinking of you and watching on the t.v. how you are faring!

Nancy said:
Yes, we are getting some items we need in the morning to prepare for the storm. I just got a full tank of gas for my car. I am not on the coastline of Florida but near the Tampa area, but right close to the middle of FL....and we will get lots of rain and wind from it. We are staying home during the heavy rain and winds.

Think positive thoughts for the people in Florida, including OceanBreeze and me. Thanks! :)

You've got mine, Nancy! God, this is nuts! :eek:

We're battening everything down. Will finish up in the morning, and will probably head out. My Dad has already made us a reservation for a motel on the mainland. We'll stay there for a day or so, and hopefully, will get to come home this weekend or Monday. I'm thinking positively.... :)

Woo hoo! Sorry, didn't mean to let loose that storm after eating that monster bean-and-cheese burrito....

Though I could have sworn there was a hurricane already named Dennis.... are they reusing names now?

Dennis said:
Woo hoo! Sorry, didn't mean to let loose that storm after eating that monster bean-and-cheese burrito....

Though I could have sworn there was a hurricane already named Dennis.... are they reusing names now?

They do recycle names from time to time, but I don't know if "Dennis" has been used before.

Dennis said:

LOL!!! yeah they reusing names now, you're famous :)

Alert: Fox News just said Hurricane Dennis is now a killer Hurricane, cause
it is now Category 4, 135 mph wind. :-o

Here we go again. :(

I am praying for all of you who are in the path of danger. :hug:

Reba said:
Here we go again. :(

I am praying for all of you who are in the path of danger. :hug:

You're not kidding!

Thank you, Reba. Keep your prayers coming our way. We're staying put. :(

We started our preparations late, and the weather is already bad down here. It's already too late for us to go.

Oceanbreeze said:
...We're staying put. :(

We started our preparations late, and the weather is already bad down here. It's already too late for us to go.
Oh, my! Yes, I will keep praying for you.

Oceanbreeze said:
You're not kidding!

Thank you, Reba. Keep your prayers coming our way. We're staying put. :(

Too late? :Ohno: You guys are in my prayers! Keep us posted. :hug:

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Wow, now Hurricane is 150 mph, dangerous. :eek:
Let hope wind slow down as it hit US soil.

My prayers goes to you guys and hope none of it will damage to your homes. Bring memory back to my aunt's house destroyed by hurricane Andrew back in early 90's.

I am tired of it nature diaster.

I was just watching Gov. Bush on TV warning people about the hurricane. He had a sign language terp standing next to him, clearly interpretting. Then, the Governor spoke the warning in Spanish, and the terp quit signing. I recognized that common expression on the terp's face when the speaker switches to a different language. All you can do is stand with your hands folded and smile slightly and stare, until he starts speaking English again.

The hurricane center provides terps, which is good. The problem is, the TV stations and networks "shrink" or even "cut out" the terp when they use a split screen. Grrrr....

Reba said:
I was just watching Gov. Bush on TV warning people about the hurricane. He had a sign language terp standing next to him, clearly interpretting. Then, the Governor spoke the warning in Spanish, and the terp quit signing. I recognized that common expression on the terp's face when the speaker switches to a different language. All you can do is stand with your hands folded and smile slightly and stare, until he starts speaking English again.

The hurricane center provides terps, which is good. The problem is, the TV stations and networks "shrink" or even "cut out" the terp when they use a split screen. Grrrr....

Thank god for closed captioning, eh?

Back