how old you when you become deaf or hearing loss

my mom found me become deaf when I was 1 year old.

My son went for his 18 month old check up. The doctor saw some signs that caused him to refer him to get a 2nd hearing test. He suspected he may have mild hearing loss even though he passed his hearing test. My dr said that he is not deaf that is for sure but may have hearing loss. Interesting. Waiting for the audiologist office to call us sometime this week for an appt. My son already knows sign language so I am not worried about language development but hope he can develop spoken language too. He hasnt spoken his "first" word yet. Will see what happens. :)

My son went for his 18 month old check up. The doctor saw some signs that caused him to refer him to get a 2nd hearing test. He suspected he may have mild hearing loss even though he passed his hearing test. My dr said that he is not deaf that is for sure but may have hearing loss. Interesting. Waiting for the audiologist office to call us sometime this week for an appt. My son already knows sign language so I am not worried about language development but hope he can develop spoken language too. He hasnt spoken his "first" word yet. Will see what happens. :)

Are you thinking what i am thinking? :afro:

Hoping what you re hoping for your kid to be.

Nah..not hoping but at the same time I wont be devastated like hearing parents are usually when they find out about their children's hearing loss. All I just want him to have no life threatening health issues..that's the most important to me.

Yesterday, we called his name and said certain words that he knows, he responded to all so I seriously doubt he has a hearing loss. I just think it is neat that he preferred to express himself thru sign language. :)

I don't really know since I'm adopted, though I do know my parents didn't really know till I was three. I dk if it happened then or what. I did have a lot of ear infections, but my dad suspects my birthmom had rubella and didn't know it.

A

I had an accident when i was 5, where i fell of the top of some bleachers, crushed my skull but dr's didn't think anything was wrong other than a concussion at first but a few days later i got really sick, fever, etc and they finally did an xray/cat scan (this was back in 85) and come to find out my sinuses had ruptured so when they did the surgery i got bacterial meningitis and dr's say it was either the meningitis or the antibiotics that fried my auditory nerves. I wear 2 aides and can hear pretty well with the, can't quite understand words themselves but can hear sound. Without the aides i have profound hearing loss

I was born hearing, lost hearing from Bacterial Meningitis at 2 years old, took speech therapy since preschool.

I was one of the lucky ones at that hospital to survive BM, so I am happy. :)

I was born deaf though I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was eighteen months. Naturally assumed reason: prematurity (born at 5.5 months of pregnancy).

Last edited:

Knowing you, I won't worry about his language skills. Let us keep updated on your son's testings and results.

I lost my hearing to spinal menigitis at age two and half. What a relief! no more noise from world to drive me nut. just kiddo.

I was born deaf though I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was eighteen months. Naturally assumed reason: prematurity (born at 5.5 months of pregnancy).

Wow!! 5.5 months! Must have been scary for your parents but glad u pulled through!

Back