how old you when you become deaf or hearing loss

I started wearing hearing aids when I was about 2 1/2 years old. I don't know what was the cause of my hearing loss. I do know that I was told I was sick a lot as a baby and as a young kid. I was also developmentally delayed.

I started losing my hearing a bit after march break b4 my 16th birthday. My doctors think it was prolly cuz of all the ear infections i had as a kid and cuz i've burst my eardrums a couple a times...Tinnitus started a bit b4 that too which sucks major butt..damn ringing

I became deaf at age 4 from spinal mengitisis. caught it from a boy in my neighborhood, from what Mom told me.

I was born with it.

Although, I think it was because of my mom's smoking. She said she didn't smoke when she was pregnant but I don't believe her.

I was born severe hoh, mom thought was german measle until in 2004 my wife (hers is hereditery) and I went to Geneolocy clinic in Kaiser, we found out that my wife and I have the same genetic DNA connexin number 26. It is a general mutation DNA for deafness. I called my mother excitely told her about the genetic, she got very SAD. We did this test to find out if our kids were going to be deaf/hoh. Interesting stuff.

Born Profoundedfulllllly Deaf. Never known why, but the doctor says that my ears's nerves system are not connecting to the sound wave, my nerves is fine, but just don't connect with sound wave. Later I got cochlear implant last year for as curiousity. The CI give me headaches and never really wear it. I am VERY proud to be deaf EVEN I wear the CI.

I was born too early at 6 months so I had brain bleed which it caused for me to have cerebral palsy and hearing loss. I am just glad Im not mr or blind. I could been worst but I am not. I am very thankful for that.

First part: I only have relatively mild hearing loss, from prolonged use of neb tobramycin.

Second part: I do get a bit bothered when people say that.. why is being blind so terrible when compared to being Deaf? I would expect the deaf community, of all people, to understand that it's not the end of the world or some terrible curse. (at Craziebabe )

First part: I only have relatively mild hearing loss, from prolonged use of neb tobramycin.

Second part: I do get a bit bothered when people say that.. why is being blind so terrible when compared to being Deaf? I would expect the deaf community, of all people, to understand that it's not the end of the world or some terrible curse. (at Craziebabe )

excuse me I didnt say anything about comparing deaf and blind. all I said is how I feel. I know it is not end of the world. You dont know me what I go thru in life.

Lisa

I was born deaf, have no hair follicles in my left ear, so I am completely deaf in my left ear and hoh in my right ear. I consider myself hoh since I can function in hearing world. I went to hearing school and university and never learned ASL. My mom did not discover I was hoh until I was three.

I was born severely deaf in right ear and hoh in left ear. I found out that my hearing went at age 5 and then bounced back in my left ear and then it went again and never returned so I am severely deaf since age 12. I come to find out that the doctors didnt know what caused it. I searched for 4 years after I lost my hearing. I found out and doctors ruled it out to be right! Its nerve damage from my Cerebral palsy that I have that I had since birth but wasn't seen out diagnosed til 6 months of age. That saddens me!! I was adopted so the history of what really caused it is never going to be found.

I still believe that the doctors are right that it is my Cerebral palsy that did it.

I was around the age of 1 when I became deaf due to neglect by my mom. :(

Menigitis, 6 years old. Misdiagonsised and treated too late. Curse stupid doctors!

My severe hearing loss was discovered when I was two years old. I don't know the exact reason, but most of my doctors have speculated that it was the result of damage to my auditory nerve. No one else in my family is deaf and neither my mother nor I were sick during the pregnancy or thereafter.

I wear hearing aids and have the speech of the average hearing person (thanks to spending most of my childhood in a speech pathologist's office). Also, I attended hearing schools and am currently in my second year at law school.

I got spinal meningitis secondary to a babysitting incident. I was 1 yrs old. Parents didn't realize I was deaf/hoh until 3 yrs later. According to my mom, I almost expired during the hospitalization. Also said I had to relearn how to walk, coordination, etc... Good thing that children's brains have plasticity tendencies.

My mom explained to me that they did not realized I couldn't hear when i was 18 months old. So mom took me to the doctor take some testing and found out i'm profound. So i'm hard of hearing...

Back