How often do you interact with hearing people?

Everyday. If I'm going to a place to pick up something to eat, I try to bring along my phone for easier and quicker ordering, and less hassle of pen and paper. However, if I'm going to a business, I like to give them a heads up that I'm coming, because if I've done business with them before, they'll know how I like to do things. If I'm calling Amtrak or something, I'd need to have the information handy when calling, and after locking in the ticket prices, I could then take the local Metra to Union Station and pick up my tickets.

Haha good one! Yes please do, I'm curious to see your car designs.

yes i found the old log book,...will upload soon...is sketchy, not a fine pencil drawing by any means...but if you look at the shapes i drew, and it was back in 1985...i am still amazed i came up with those.....it was mostly doodling due to boring hearing classroom lessons, i used to stare out window and draw...
also its really crap drawing!, BUT the imagination of the car design did not belonged to 1985 (except Porsches 911s) i had better ones but its in another logbook that i can't find. most of the drawings are uneven, i get interrupted by teachers...lOL and i wasnt that good

Last edited:
Almost daily... at work and places.

sorry i give up, the flippn thing wont come out right side up, even though i rotated in photobucker and saved it, it corrupts itself when it displays here grrr!
maybe try another day...

Every day. Other than some older people that lost hearing due to age I don't know any other deaf person. I hang out with friends all the time and they are all cool peeps. Every single day I have to ask numerous people to repeat themselves and none of them seem to mind, if they do well then that's their problem. A lot of times when I am facing someone and reading their lips I still don't get what they said.

I used to be fluent in lip reading. Now I'm re-teaching myself how to do that again, now that I'm no longer able to hear very well (And I quit wearing hearing aides because it messes up my focus).

I used to be fluent in lip reading. Now I'm re-teaching myself how to do that again, now that I'm no longer able to hear very well (And I quit wearing hearing aides because it messes up my focus).

Please explain more about what I have added the bold to? I do not understand how hearing aides make a difference in you focus.

Really easy. Every day sounds kept throwing my focus off, and things I need to be focusing on needs peace and quiet (like making sure I'm paying the correct amount on my bills, and not accidentally putting in one number too much). Also, I needed the peace and quiet, because the hearing aides was causing nearly constant headaches, and ever since I quit wearing them, I don't get them as much as I used to, and my life has improved because of that. If I could go back, I would, but that means risking messing up what I've established works well for me.

Really easy. Every day sounds kept throwing my focus off, and things I need to be focusing on needs peace and quiet (like making sure I'm paying the correct amount on my bills, and not accidentally putting in one number too much). Also, I needed the peace and quiet, because the hearing aides was causing nearly constant headaches, and ever since I quit wearing them, I don't get them as much as I used to, and my life has improved because of that. If I could go back, I would, but that means risking messing up what I've established works well for me.

When I first read "focus" I thought of eyesight! Then as I got into it I realized you were using it in terms of concentration. If it works for you fine. But this is another illustration of the difference in people.

I am completely oral having grown up with one completely NR side (from the age of 5) and one really good side. Even though the good side is now profound it didn't show a noticeable loss until I was in my 30's. I tried sign courses twice but made no contacts to use it with and thus have forgotten 99% of what I did learn. I do need to combine lip reading with the sound I get from my aid but I wouldn't dream of going anywhere without it on. There are days I don't have it on at home though.

It's an easy mistake to make. No hard feelings. It's easier for me that way, but maybe someday in the future I'll go back (Maybe when I start a family I'll do that, but until then....), but in all honesty, being without a hearing aide is better for me. My hearing parents didn't fully understand why I quit wearing hearing aides, and they did ask, and when I told them why, they agreed, which I wasn't expecting, to be honest.

Back