How many people here are NOT deaf?

DeafKattMom said:
Shes saying that she hates when hearing people take on deafness and sign language because they think its cool, like they arent really connected to it, but want to be recognized as "in" or "unique".

I see it all the time. My first initial sign language classes started out with students joining because they either:

1. wanted to look cool signing. like they were "helping" or "saving" deaf people by learning the language.

And:

2. wanted an "easy A" in school.

Most dropped out the second week when they found out that the class was indeed hard and required alot of work.

Ok... like little boys are interested in being "cowboys and indians" because its cool, or like little girls playing house with little babies and fake kitchens... hearing people going around speaking sign and acting like they are all into the deaf culture...

I hope that makes more sense. Anyways, I know what your saying deafdyke, I see it on a daily basis. Its appalling... but hell, a positive part of it is they ARE learning sign language, and they are learning and respecting the culture... regardless of thier initial hidden intentions something good is coming out of it...right?

katt.

May I ask how did your two boys were born deaf? Im curious how did you reacted when you first foundout your firstborn child was deaf? just curious. :D

May I ask how did your two boys were born deaf? Im curious how did you reacted when you first foundout your firstborn child was deaf? just curious.

The deafness is hereditary on my boyfriend's side of the family. He has many deaf relatives. I think he is HOH, although he claims not to be, because I talk to him in a normal room voice and if hes not looking at me he dosent respond... but Im not sure... he denies it... although most of the time people talk to him they have to repeat themselves. He refuses to get tested though.

I was asked the same question(How I reacted to my first son being born deaf) and heres the thread. I copied the qoutes too. :) It also has my reaction to my second son being deaf.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=18434&page=1

DeafSCUBA98 said:
welcome to AD enjoy your stay... out of curiousity... How did you react when you found out that your oldest son is deaf?
post away and learn some more information :D

My first reaction was:

"James(my bf and lil' James's dad), we have to learn sign language QUICKLY!" and I did(James didnt)... Im fluent in signed english now and learning ASL. Also, beaming pride. It was something different and unique about him. Who wouldnt be proud?
When we found out my second son was deaf I thought, "phew, now my oldest one cant wake the baby."(He screams alot)

katt.

DeafKattMom said:
The deafness is hereditary on my boyfriend's side of the family. He has many deaf relatives. I think he is HOH, although he claims not to be, because I talk to him in a normal room voice and if hes not looking at me he dosent respond... but Im not sure... he denies it... although most of the time people talk to him they have to repeat themselves. He refuses to get tested though.

I was asked the same question(How I reacted to my first son being born deaf) and heres the thread. I copied the qoutes too. :) It also has my reaction to my second son being deaf.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=18434&page=1

My first reaction was:

"James(my bf and lil' James's dad), we have to learn sign language QUICKLY!" and I did(James didnt)... Im fluent in signed english now and learning ASL. Also, beaming pride. It was something different and unique about him. Who wouldnt be proud?
When we found out my second son was deaf I thought, "phew, now my oldest one cant wake the baby."(He screams alot)

katt.

Wow. thats interesting. May I ask how come James refuse to learn sign language even though he has deaf relatives?

Wow. thats interesting. May I ask how come James refuse to learn sign language even though he has deaf relatives?

I have no idea! I ask him all the time. At first when he found out our son was deaf he said he would not learn sign, James would have to learn how to read lips. :asshole: ... now that he sees that isnt going to happen the way he wants it to, he is semi learning basic words.

He just wont learn and avoids any deaf family member he has. I think at first he was ashamed, and then stubborn, now I dont know where he stands... he has been a little sad because our second son was born deaf.

He is a musician in a band and wanted to desperately share music with his boys... he feels that cannot happen now, although my oldest son is learning how to play the guitar, because Im teaching him through vibration(Ive been placing a small amp at his feet, if anyone knows better devices, please let me know, Id love to try different things), also teaching him how to sing.

Ill ask him to come to this forum and see if he opens up about it.

take care,
katt.

DeafKattMom said:
He is a musician in a band and wanted to desperately share music with his boys... he feels that cannot happen now, although my oldest son is learning how to play the guitar, because Im teaching him through vibration(Ive been placing a small amp at his feet, if anyone knows better devices, please let me know, Id love to try different things), also teaching him how to sing.

Ill ask him to come to this forum and see if he opens up about it.

take care,
katt.

DeafKattMom:

I have Severe-Profound loss in my left, and Profound loss in my right, and I play guitar and sing! Tell James your sons quite possably can have access to music... I love music! I have been in several bands, and have started recording some songs I wrote at a friend's recording studio. If he would like to hear what deaf made music can be like, then if you keep in touch with me I will be happy to send him recordings when they're finished to help him realise he can share music with the kids, or maybe I can upload it to the net, when I figure out how sometime? Let me know if he'd be intetested. (I have two powerful BTE HA's by the way, so that helps a bit)

Also there is a band in one of the other threads, who are all deaf. There is a link to their site in that thread, and you can buy their music from their website, I think?

I do think though that he is sad about thinking he can't share something he loves with his sons... but maybe he should also realise that there may be things that the boys love and want to share with him... and could become sad that he can't be a part of because he doesn't know enough sign! Try putting it to him like that too, maybe? :) This sounds very much like my Dad. :(

For your son, the amp is good. Also when he practices, try sitting him across from a big mirror, so he can look up and see his hand positions and the vibrations of strings better than looking down while he plays all the time. I found this helped me when I was first learning, and was more comfortable. If you have an amp big enough, try letting him sit on that! Vibrations are closer, and much stronger then. :) Do you use a mic or fm or anything when he sings?

Levonian said:
I’ve never been able to decide if I’m half hearing or half deaf. :mrgreen: :dunno:

lol, that's me too! same thing one ear hears the other doesn't lol! I go with HOH.. I also was a little uncertian about joining bc Im not deaf, deaf. But Im SOOO glad I did, everyone here is so welcomeing and nice!!!
Sooo much nicer than any other group by far. :wiggle:

im not deaf.

i wish i could see the world as deaf ppl do, though.
so i can get the whole thing. im "too" hearing. i wish i could learn to be more "visual"

I don't consider myself deaf because I'm HOH. Some people have used that term in describing me, but I don't correct them. However, I do not consider myself deaf.

I am fully hearing... which has its advantages and disadvantages (stupid bikes, airplanes and everything else that makes noise whether during day or night) ;)

I am hearing, currently learning ASL because the area I live in/work in (Riverside and the OC respectively) does have a significant deaf population and aside from my partner at work (who is also an ASL student) I have yet to meet another EMS person who can sign. Hence, the desire to learn to communicate. (plus it will be nice when I'm done with nursing school, when I have patients who are deaf I can actually converse with them without having to go through a pad of paper or have them wait for (god knows how many) hours for an interpreter. :aw:

oh and for the record... given my history when it comes to flying (always, and I do mean ALWAYS within 10 feet of a screaming crying baby... the duration of the flight being directly correlated with the volume of their screaming of course) I have to say, there are times when I feel that deafies do have it made :)

I hear, don't always process correctly/normal, 'can't hear' phonics (by that I mean I don't process the difference)

pin/pen - I CAN say them different but it sounds the same to my brain, other people saying it I have to look at them to see what they are doing or how they are holding their hand. (for a needle or a writing implement).

im not deaf.

i wish i could see the world as deaf ppl do, though.
so i can get the whole thing. im "too" hearing. i wish i could learn to be more "visual"

the best way to do that would be to spend time with a group of people that uses a different language amongst eachother. a great example would be how i spend time with my samoan friends (samoa is a south pacific island) and when they speak to eachother they speak in samoan. the only way to know what they are talking about is by facial cues and topic of conversation (if available). it may be a bit unnerving at first but if your persistent enough you'll soon get the hang of it.

I am hearing. at first i wasn't all that interested in sign language/deaf culture but since i knew that the deaf people were pretty much unavoidable i gave it a shot and loved it.

the best way to do that would be to spend time with a group of people that uses a different language amongst eachother. a great example would be how i spend time with my samoan friends (samoa is a south pacific island) and when they speak to eachother they speak in samoan. the only way to know what they are talking about is by facial cues and topic of conversation (if available). it may be a bit unnerving at first but if your persistent enough you'll soon get the hang of it.

I am hearing. at first i wasn't all that interested in sign language/deaf culture but since i knew that the deaf people were pretty much unavoidable i gave it a shot and loved it.

thanks for your comments! :yesway:
I try to absorbe everything when i'm close to deaf... i hope someday i'll get my goal

I'm hearing and interested in learning about deaf culture and language so I can communicate with some kids in my school. Very few people ever talk to them, and I figured "what the heck"? Hopefully I can pick up on it. THen I will have lots more people I can communicate with.

I'm hearing and I teach ASL to the kids I babysit for who love it. It's a beautiful language that I hope to learn more about as I go.

I am a hearie and I am actually going to school to eventually be an Intepreter.... going to be a while but still atleast I am working on it.

Back