How many of you have something rare?

a small pet peeve - I hate it when people say "oh mine is A"

and I say .................... negative or positive? and they're dumbfounded :roll:

Yes, I hate that too... I'm like okay, lets inject you with a blood type and just guess and see what happens! When your body and organs reject it... we'll see how much fun it will be! :D In hospitals, we carry triage blood most of the time anyway, so it's mostly all O- anyway.

Blood type doesn't really matter. Doesn't matter if you have AB Negative. We don't care in the ER because we're giving you O Negative blood anyway. ( Triage blood ) The only blood type we care to know what you are in the hospital is HH phenotype. They're the only ones that have to have and can only have HH. Everyone else can have O negative and be fine. That's why we love O Negative donors. :P

Yeah, but all this time I thought there were 4, when there were actually 5 blood groups.

There are 9 blood groups. A negative and A positive are two different groups. You can't give an A negative person an A positive persons blood, their body will reject it. On the other hand, you can give an A positive person an A negative persons blood. Since one can't receive the others they are classified separately. 9 blood groups, A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, O+, O-, and Bombay Phenotype HH.

There are 9 blood groups. A negative and A positive are two different groups. You can't give an A negative person an A positive persons blood, their body will reject it. On the other hand, you can give an A positive person an A negative persons blood. Since one can't receive the others they are classified separately. 9 blood groups, A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, O+, O-, and Bombay Phenotype HH.

:dizzy: lots of info. Most of which I am woefully incomplete with. Ah, well. Thanks for the lesson on blood.

tumblr_inline_mooueyEf9r1qz4rgp.gif

Don't make hulk angry! :D :laugh2:

I had to think really hard of something rare I have or owned. The blood discussion gave me an idea.

I had a glass vial of my DNA for a long while that I was proud to have because I extracted it myself. DNA extraction is actually easy, but it was my first lab studies when I was trying to finish my degree in biotech. That's something rare to say, "yeah, I keep my DNA in a bottle."

My family is rare to me, one of my sister married a Black man and the other one is married to an Indian from Trinidad and their daughter is marrying an Asia man .My daughter is Black and married an Italian man . When we got together for my mom's birthdays we looked the United Nation. I do not know of many families like mine. Mom was English and Russian so we really here like a small UN.

My daughter is half white and half Mexican and my son is half white and half black so maybe I am trying to start a family like yours. :D

It's the rarest blood type in the world, often born to children of parents consisting of both O Negative RH Negative blood type Characteristics. However, many other factors can come into play for Bombay Phenotype. Yes, banking your own blood is a blast. At least with AB Negative, you can receive from an O Negative donor, A Neg donor, B Neg donor. HH Bombay Phenotype can not. They can only receive from other HH donors, which are less than 1 in every 250,000 people.

Must be hard for those people to receive blood when they need a transfusion.

I had to think really hard of something rare I have or owned. The blood discussion gave me an idea.

I had a glass vial of my DNA for a long while that I was proud to have because I extracted it myself. DNA extraction is actually easy, but it was my first lab studies when I was trying to finish my degree in biotech. That's something rare to say, "yeah, I keep my DNA in a bottle."

:shock: You could clone yourself!

Never had an XBox but used to have original Pong. :lol:

Used to have an original top-loading Betamax recorder/player (I think it was late '70's). I guess those things would have been rare now if we kept them.

I still have my great-grandparents' stereopticon and cards, and my Viewmaster with slides (1950's version); probably not so rare, just old. Heh, heh.

My red-headed Barbie (not Midge but Barbie) from the '60's isn't common but probably not rare. (Her name was Della Street, ha, ha.)

Nope, nothing "rare." Common as dirt. :(

I have a Waterford vase made in the early 1900s with 14K gold edges that was handed to me from my grandmother.

I'm rare. There's only one of me. :D I actually have a kimono that belonged to my great-grandmother and it's pretty rare for the time period. Sadly, other than that I'm normal.

Speaking of bloodtypes: Japan Today :lol:

I just got my lipids panel back. Friends and family are shocked at the triglycerides at 1015 whoa. Rare to us.

I just got my lipids panel back. Friends and family are shocked at the triglycerides at 1015 whoa. Rare to us.

Holy Cow....that is really really high. Does heart disease run in your family?

Just my Dad, Angel. I am researching it, it is over three times higher than last year. Last year was high. This year is over 911. The doctors are not real concerned. I look fine. I am complaining though, I do not feel like my normal self. I say that they look at me like I am nuts. I look healthier than all of them.

Back