How many believe euthanasia animals/humans should be legal

SBirn

Reaction score
Do you believe in euthanasia. Lets give two examples:

1. Your beloved animal has been diagnosed with a fatal disease. It has about two months to live. What do you do? Do you set a price tag on a cure?

2. You or anyone close to you has been diagnosed with a fatal disease. They're given a year. There are two scenarios:
A. They're on Medicare with Medigap.
B. They have their own insurance such as Cigna or BC/BS.

I'm curious and will withhold my own opinion and just refer to two lovely :) stories:
Soylent Green and Kurt Vonnegut's, "Welcome to the Monkey House."

Have at it.
My real name and address are being withheld upon request.:wave:

-- Samuel:naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:
At AD we aren't allowed to use Bible references in our discussions. :(

For most people there is a huge moral difference between humans and animals re: euthanasia.
Extended discussion "not allowed here in AD.

For most people there is a huge moral difference between humans and animals re: euthanasia.
Extended discussion "not allowed here in AD.
Okay, the religious aspect has been removed. Can this be discussed without this? I have no idea what you mean by Extended discussion, "not allowed here in AD." Would you clarify? If you mean this has already been discussed as I've outlined, where is this?

I understand not being allowed to discuss religion as it is too controversial.

t's legal to have a sick pet euthanasia and I think it's the right thing to do for pet that is in a pain and has no chance of getting better. I did this for my beloved dog Finlay when he had cancer and could no longer eat without vomiting his food right back up. I am concerned about this for people, I feel insurance companies would tell an elderly person they'll not pay for their medial bills but they will pay for assisted suicide. This has already happen to a woman that had cancer. Her Dr. had to fight for the woman to get some more meds.

I think it should be a decision you should be allowed to make for yourself. Not other people making the decision for you. Quite different from a living will, but yet similair to a living will. Like say....bone cancer. That is extremely painfull. I think if I had the option of choosing months more suffering and medical costs left for my family and going peacefully to sleep I'd jump on that. But the pain is be going through and my family having to see me like that for that much longer would be more if a motivator than the bills.

I can see why the whole "suicide" would be taboo for many, but I think it's different, you're going to die soon anyway, you're just making a decision of when.

t's legal to have a sick pet euthanasia and I think it's the right thing to do for pet that is in a pain and has no chance of getting better. I did this for my beloved dog Finlay when he had cancer and could no longer eat without vomiting his food right back up. I am concerned about this for people, I feel insurance companies would tell an elderly person they'll not pay for their medial bills but they will pay for assisted suicide. This has already happen to a woman that had cancer. Her Dr. had to fight for the woman to get some more meds.

That will be the decision on the Elder (Senior Citizen) to decide if she want to prolong her life or want to end it by having a Living Will contract that she does not want to keep on living with medication or life suppport machine.

Insurance companies are not reliable and don't care about people, just to get their money on the insurance company (they just work to make a living for themselves and family). Who care what the Elder was suffering or not. They don't want to know about her. :(

I think it should be a decision you should be allowed to make for yourself. Not other people making the decision for you. Quite different from a living will, but yet similair to a living will. Like say....bone cancer. That is extremely painfull. I think if I had the option of choosing months more suffering and medical costs left for my family and going peacefully to sleep I'd jump on that. But the pain is be going through and my family having to see me like that for that much longer would be more if a motivator than the bills.

I can see why the whole "suicide" would be taboo for many, but I think it's different, you're going to die soon anyway, you're just making a decision of when.
I agree about talking with a couple of friends and spelling it out with a bit more info. There are still always exceptions, typed the exception. My living will was ignored. Had it been followed, I wouldn't be here. Die or live and learn :) .

It's not taboo for "us." When I made calls about dad, one relative asked the taboo question, "Was it painful?" I asked him if he wanted the truth. He did and I told him. We lied to everyone else because they didn't ask or they did and I wasn't getting into it with a room full of family. (I still have a sister who does not know what happened.)

In 1999 (Sept.) doctors operated on my dad to remove his tonsils. By late Jan. 2000, dad sent an email stating he had been diagnosed with Stage IV of neck and throat cancer. He didn't know what would kill him the treatment or the disease. Dad was given 3 - 6 months to live.

I got him hospice care. He knew just because you have hospice doesn't mean you're going to die and he never did listen to doctors. As opposed to my mom who believed the opposite and put off signing the papers to get hospice. Dad died in 2008 (over 8 years later). And, I asked the oncologist about my mom's lifespan and he was one month off. No one wanted to know. I was writing her service and needed a heads up and I was preparing for this loss and wanted that heads up - that preparation was no help for me but I still did the service.

My father-in-law was pretty obvious. We didn't need predictions.

When doctors do know you're really en route out, they have increased the amount of morphine. When the doctors talked to my husband's family about it they allowed it. But, in my 30s, I was the only one who apparently understood. I said I wasn't going home that night. They stayed with me and slept. He died the following morning as I watched... Same with my mom. She died at home around 4 a.m. I spent the knowing night holding her hand. She had a button she could press every hour (but she was not conscious), so I did it for her. I also knew what it meant. I'd call it a form of suicide (to which many others are not entitled) by doctors or family but in the gentlest sense.

The question also morphs into who is allowed suicide by doctors or one's own decision. But I think that's a bit much for this topic :) .

Thanks, Ambrosia.

The discussion of enthanasia is automatically a discussion in theology/philosophy re: purpose of this life.

How can one avoid it being a "religious" discussion?

The non discussion is only for Alldeaf.com.
aside whatever views one has/holds is can be articulated in any other forum.

That will be the decision on the Elder (Senior Citizen) to decide if she want to prolong her life or want to end it by having a Living Will contract that she does not want to keep on living with medication or life suppport machine.

Insurance companies are not reliable and don't care about people, just to get their money on the insurance company (they just work to make a living for themselves and family). Who care what the Elder was suffering or not. They don't want to know about her. :(

I am very aware of that, I was a health aide for 9 years and saw the insurance company would stop paying for people meds. I had a client that was taking a pill BID and it was his insurance would only pay for one pill a day , it did not matter that my client was pain.

The discussion of enthanasia is automatically a discussion in theology/philosophy re: purpose of this life.

How can one avoid it being a "religious" discussion?

The non discussion is only for Alldeaf.com.
aside whatever views one has/holds is can be articulated in any other forum.
As an agnostic who used to be a member of a deaf choir in a fundamentalist church and who used to go to various churches to listen to the music, religion is not only not allowed on alldeaf but I'm not looking for answers through theology. I added it as a courtesy and a goof.

I do not see my questions or anyone's answers as a non-discussion. The answers continue (again, hence, the "non discussion" which redundantly it is not).

I am very aware of that, I was a health aide for 9 years and saw the insurance company would stop paying for people meds. I had a client that was taking a pill BID and it was his insurance would only pay for one pill a day , it did not matter that my client was pain.
Argh!!!!!! That's nuts! It's also why there is reason to be prepared and be ready for how and when we choose to die and it's not easy. Doctors know the formulas and can make it happen for themselves and subtly for their patients. So, yes, I believe in the right to euthanize animals and humans. It happens now but as Hochi would argue, this is one of the reasons he wants government to stay out of our lives! Sorry, I feel so bad for the man suffering so much. Welcome to the idiot death panels and this was happening prior to Palin bringing it up. Oh man. Another case of where I believe it but wish I could say I don't and can't.

Bebonang, I liked your response and I am in complete agreement with your statements about insurance companies. So, we now live longer (insurance companies don't make money on dead people) but at the end of our lives, we're allowed to suffer. It's once again enough to make me wanna scream.

My dad suffered pretty horribly. But he had drugs and patches but his choice was a) to live (he struggled) and I think if he accepted death, he would've been better off b) to die at home . I got him out of the hospital and had round the clock nursing care but in the end, even the head nurse didn't know what to do. His dying lasted 2-3 hours. That's why I could not tell my one sister (maybe both don't know). I got there 2nd and had the nurse get the heck out of the apt. before my younger sister got there. The nurse was freaking out. It was weird. Dad dies at home and struggles. Mom dies at home but had the right equipment. Mom was resigned and didn't want to hear about it and dad didn't want to go but he was fine with the reality (I asked). Bad lesson learned.

I absolutely think you should be able to choose to be euthanized. However only for medical purposes. People who are in a depression or something should not have that option. Basically, only if you're told that you're going to die in X amount of time. There are some things out there that are so painful that we can't even fathom it. It's slow, drawn out and painful full of suffering. If someone in that situation wanted to have the option of euthanasia, I think they should get it. Let them go in peace.

Back