How is your weather today??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago is under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for tonight. Possibility of hail and damaging winds are likely. The watch expires at 11 tonight.

Possible thunder storms through tomorrow then getting super hot upper 90's for the long weekend.

The storm seems to have other ideas, as we were just warned. It expires at 8:15 PM, and right now I'm hoping nothing major happens.

I just got an alert that a Flood Advisory is in effect until 2 AM tomorrow morning. That means only one thing: heavy rain. The Des Plaines River to the west of here is the primary concern.

Update: this storm is a bad one. We also have a Flash Flood Warning for certain portions of the area. That, and lights keep flickering in my bedroom.

Last edited:
The thunderstorm that went through here hours ago is starting to leave town, but it dumped a bunch of rain on the city, though-- everywhere is just plain WET. I have yet to see if the storm caused any wind damage, though.

The thunderstorm that went through here hours ago is starting to leave town, but it dumped a bunch of rain on the city, though-- everywhere is just plain WET. I have yet to see if the storm caused any wind damage, though.

yes that's what happens when it rains.....

yes that's what happens when it rains.....

Not the point. Chicago rainstorms usually last 1-2 hours, tops. Storms that cause flash flood warnings are those that dump rain over several hours, and not light rain, either. I'm talking heavy rain causing flash flooding capable of causing millions of dollars in damages. That's already happened with the Des Plaines River just up north of here. That area is vulnerable to major flooding, and a insurance headache.

Not the point. Chicago rainstorms usually last 1-2 hours, tops. Storms that cause flash flood warnings are those that dump rain over several hours, and not light rain, either. I'm talking heavy rain causing flash flooding capable of causing millions of dollars in damages. That's already happened with the Des Plaines River just up north of here. That area is vulnerable to major flooding, and a insurance headache.

694.png

No rain for a few days and not supposed to rain for the foreseeable week or so.... Lord only knows though, this is Florida after all... :shock: I did get sunburned this weekend... *sizzle* Hopefully that tans... probably not though, because unlike my father, I inherited the pale Romanian complexion like my mother.... :pissed: Gosh darn it... :squint: COME ON SUMMER TAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a little... Maybe I'll go attempt a tan at the beach this weekend since it will be high 80's low 90's all week... :shock:

Here's a link from last year. It was a really rough time then.

Chicago Flood 2013 Photos: A Look At Chicagoland Under Water (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
oh my. oh dear oh dear.... look at that... I'll just ignore the frequent floods we get plus Hurricane Sandy and I'll pity you guys instead because your Chicago tragedy is always the most tragic one.

The Des Plaines River isn't exactly an ideal place to live close to, unless you can handle the stress of yearly flash flood warnings they get, and I mean YEARLY.
yearly? lol we get it monthly.

oh my. oh dear oh dear.... look at that... I'll just ignore the frequent floods we get plus Hurricane Sandy and I'll pity you guys instead because your Chicago tragedy is always the most tragic one.

yearly? lol we get it monthly.

NYC might get floods, but I wouldn't know that, though. What I do know is that the Des Plaines River has caused tens of milions of dollars in damages the last few years. Last year was one of the worst I had ever seen since moving to Chicago 9 years ago. Heck, even Albany Park got slammed, which itself is a rarity. The area is notorious for causing floods that require flood insurance to live near there, and I'll be honest-- I'm not too fond of a flood-prone area. There's several streets here in Chicago that gets flooded pretty quickly if it rains heavily. Lake Shore Drive is one of them. Several portions of expressways also get flooded, and have to be closed. It makes travel a headache when that happens.

NYC might get floods, but I wouldn't know that, though. What I do know is that the Des Plaines River has caused tens of milions of dollars in damages the last few years. Last year was one of the worst I had ever seen since moving to Chicago 9 years ago. Heck, even Albany Park got slammed, which itself is a rarity. The area is notorious for causing floods that require flood insurance to live near there, and I'll be honest-- I'm not too fond of a flood-prone area. There's several streets here in Chicago that gets flooded pretty quickly if it rains heavily. Lake Shore Drive is one of them. Several portions of expressways also get flooded, and have to be closed. It makes travel a headache when that happens.

might? lol no. oh you silly one. we're (NJ) the flood state and NYC gets floods all the time. we get flood all the time. we get much more rainfall than you. I'm used to it. been used to it since diaper.

every year is always the worst one for us. we get flash flood warning pretty much every month. we're expecting to get rainfalls for the next few days starting tonight and that means floods too! weeeeee! it makes my travel easier because my truck enjoys it quite immensely.

that's why a drought is rare here and our drinking lakes are rarely shallow.

might? lol no. oh you silly one. we're (NJ) the flood state and NYC gets floods all the time. we get flood all the time. we get much more rainfall than you. I'm used to it. been used to it since diaper.

every year is always the worst one for us. we get flash flood warning pretty much every month. we're expecting to get rainfalls for the next few days starting tonight and that means floods too! weeeeee! it makes my travel easier because my truck enjoys it quite immensely.

that's why a drought is rare here and our drinking lakes are rarely shallow.

Ah, but IL did go through a drought not that long ago. State was bone dry for a good portion of 2012, I believe it was. We didn't see a lot of rain OR snow that year. It wasn't until the following spring that those floods began to reverse what damage had been done. Since then, we've not had any problems with rain or snow, which has been plentiful as of late. I have a friend who is a farmer, and his crops that year did not fare well. He had to work more driving the district school buses to make ends meet.

You know, as far as flooding is concerned I have one word for you.... Texas. :shock: Number one state at risk of flooding.... According to my mortgage company anyway. ( I was asking in random conversation when talking about insurance blah blah )

Illinois doesn't even rank top 10 most hazardous states to live for disasters of any kind... New York does though... and Florida... :Ohno: :laugh2:

Top 10 States Most at Risk of Disaster-Kiplinger

Was surprised to see Tennessee really honestly... Learned something new there... :P

Ah, but IL did go through a drought not that long ago. State was bone dry for a good portion of 2012, I believe it was. We didn't see a lot of rain OR snow that year. It wasn't until the following spring that those floods began to reverse what damage had been done. Since then, we've not had any problems with rain or snow, which has been plentiful as of late. I have a friend who is a farmer, and his crops that year did not fare well. He had to work more driving the district school buses to make ends meet.

04d.jpg

A drought is.... the.... opposite.... of..... a.....

images

We were talking about.... flo....

Oh dear god...

thumb-implied-facepalm-i-hope-you-are-joking-5204.jpg

A drought is.... the.... opposite.... of..... a.....

images

We were talking about.... flo....

Oh dear god...

thumb-implied-facepalm-i-hope-you-are-joking-5204.jpg

In IL, anything is possible. Never say never around here. Odd stuff has happened before. In fact, it recently snowed in Effingham, IL just last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back